Thread: Mariner's make Smoak & Montero available after Hart/LoMo acquisitions

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mariner's make Smoak & Montero available after Hart/LoMo acquisitions

Per MLBTradeRumors

The Mariners are letting teams know that Jesus Montero and Justin Smoak are available in trade talks, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). The report comes on the heels of the Mariners striking deals to add Corey Hart and Logan Morrison to their lineup.

As our Steve Adams pointed out on Wednesday, the signing of Hart and acquisition of Morrison called Montero's and Smoak's roles into question. While it's not clear exactly what position Seattle would be targeting in trade talks, the club clearly hopes to contend in 2014 and would likely prefer immedate contributors to prospects.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I have 0 interest in Montero, Smoak could be a real nice guy to slot in the DH role. He hits RHP pretty well and Target Field isnt quite as bad as Safeco.

If they are looking for bullpen help the Twins could definitely join the mix. Pressley & Tonkin could be attractive package if they are. The Twins certainly have no shortage of power RHP bullpen arms coming up through the ranks.

If the Stephen Drew steam is legit, Florimon could be a trade candidate also.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I would actually be more interested in Montero since he would still only be 24 next season. He hasn't done much/anything in the majors but he was an elite prospect that is still prospect age.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    I'm down for both of them as buy low options.

Liked 1,131 Times in 509 Posts
    Another reminder of the danger in assuming prospects are the future.

Both were centerpieces of big trades.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

6. These 3 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

amjgt (12-12-2013), ashburyjohn (12-13-2013), Winston Smith (12-12-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Montero is interesting. DH/backup catcher with massive power/hitting ability. As kab21 said, still just 24 all depends on the price though.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    Smoak? No thanks. He's Chris Parmeless, but older. Montero however is very intriguing. A full time DH and emergency catcher who has always hit, until last year. A definite high reward type of guy, if the price is right. Maybe we could snooker the M's into talking Willingham for him. Cleary they're trying to surround Cano with some experienced hitters.

9. These 3 users like mudcat14's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

beckmt (12-13-2013), EephusKnuckler (12-12-2013), gunnarthor (12-13-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    The big thing in favor of Montero is his age and also the fact that SafeCo is awful for RH'd power hitters.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Another reminder of the danger in assuming prospects are the future.

Both were centerpieces of big trades.
    Definitely something to keep in mind but inversely, those examples can be used why you shouldn't trade prospects. You need as many as you can get because some will ultimately fail or underperform expectations.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    There's not much room for either. I guess I'd go for Montero if Doumit gets moved but I wouldn't pay much. He seems young enough that you'd want to give him regular at bats so you can see if he still can develop. Not sure there is going to be a full time DH this year though.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    I wonder if Montero has one more option year remaining? He was up full time in 2012. Might make him a nice guy to go after. Have him be on DH/Catcher rotation with Pinto in the future. I know he's not supposedly the greatest behind the plate but he's young and Mauer can mentor both of them possibly. He also has some 1B experience in the minors so he at least has a little bit of flexibility.

All depends on the price, you're not getting him for free but I can't imagine it taking an insane piece to get him. They're looking for major league ready pieces I can only assume. Willingham and a 10-20 prospect like Harrison? Maybe throw in a bullpen piece that they could use to "win now" like Fien?

MOAR CATCHERS!!!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
    I'd actually really like the Twins to take a shot at Montero. He showed he could hit in the minors, in the IL, which we are in so I would assume the team has pretty good reports on him. I think his RH power will play really nice at TF. Make him the DH and give him 600 PA.

Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
    Sign Drew
    Ship Florimon and Duensing to Sea for Montero

Play Ball