Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Pinto Problems

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 532 Times in 346 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pinto Problems

According to the PP, Josmil Pinto has been removed from his Venezuelan winter league team. He hasn't caught in several weeks because of a sore shoulder and has only pinch hit. He only hit .179 in his limited at-bats.

Pinto has a sore throwing arm at midseason, rested it, and was okay the rest of the year. How big of a red flag is this injury? Will we see the Twins getting serious about a veteran catcher? Will Eric Fryer start Opening Day? Scary!

2. This user likes stringer bell's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Maybe trade for Johnny Monell?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Finally, someone mentions Pinto and his injury problem(s) and shouldn't there also be concern about Sano's? Reality is not being addressed when these sorts of things are occurring.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    I worded my last comment clumsily - sure the injuries have occurred but shouldn't they be discussed by management and also the fans?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    I worded my last comment clumsily - sure the injuries have occurred but shouldn't they be discussed by management and also the fans?
    How do we know "management" isn't mentioning this already? Should they call a press conference every time someone misses a winter ball game?

7. This user likes Twins Twerp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-12-2013)

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts

I hope there isn't a reason to be concerned about him or Sano -- I guess we'll see in 2014.

You're certainly not going to go out of your way to identify possible issues with your anticipated starter when negotiating with his backup. Most of us wouldn't consider that a very effective negotiating tactic.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    I do wonder about Sano's elbow. His arm is a tremendous asset at 3b, but if he does need TJ surgery or even needs to go the rest/rehab route this is a concern. Find a veteran to play 3B and compete with Plouffe (one-year deal, please).

Quote Originally Posted by whatever54 View Post
    You're certainly not going to go out of your way to identify possible issues with your anticipated starter when negotiating with his backup. Most of us wouldn't consider that a very effective negotiating tactic.
    While that's true, they also haven't shown a lot of aggression in acquiring a catcher. I think that if they were truly concerned, they would have been a lot more active on the catching front than they have been.

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    While that's true, they also haven't shown a lot of aggression in acquiring a catcher. I think that if they were truly concerned, they would have been a lot more active on the catching front than they have been.
    True, though I certainly don't know just how aggressive they were with FA catchers. My understanding is they put good effort into signing AJ, but had they felt thy absolutely needed to sign an insurance catcher I also think they would have.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Precautionary. Also, he's had a busy year. Better let him go home and rest.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't surprise me if Pinto doesn't make the opening day roster. He needs time in AAA.
    I would like to see Herrmann starting at catcher, and if needed, Fryer behind him.
    I would also like to see the Twins give John Buck a 1-year deal or perhaps take a catcher in the Rule 5 draft.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 89 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I honestly think that Pinto and Herrmann should be the catchers in 2014. I don't think they get a lot by being catchers in AAA, at least not in terms of preparing for the 2015 season as major leaguers

16. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-12-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    A Pinto injury would stink, but I also think we are getting carried away with the catcher speculation. We've been spoiled at catcher for over a decade. Plenty of teams don't have a good one and still compete; it seems like it is one of the easiest team flaws to cover up. I'm fine with a small cost vet joining the squad, but there are still bigger fish to fry on this roster.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I honestly think that Pinto and Herrmann should be the catchers in 2014. I don't think they get a lot by being catchers in AAA, at least not in terms of preparing for the 2015 season as major leaguers
    I would not want two rookies handling the pitching staff. If they don't sign Buck, Doumit will do a lot of the catching in 2014.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I would not want two rookies handling the pitching staff. If they don't sign Buck, Doumit will do a lot of the catching in 2014.

IOW....The Perfect Storm....Yikes

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 847 Times in 543 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    A Pinto injury would stink, but I also think we are getting carried away with the catcher speculation. We've been spoiled at catcher for over a decade. Plenty of teams don't have a good one and still compete; it seems like it is one of the easiest team flaws to cover up. I'm fine with a small cost vet joining the squad, but there are still bigger fish to fry on this roster.
    With the apparent net drop in 2014 production for 1B/C combined, they need punch coming from somewhere, and it stlll needs to be acquired and/or some current guys are going to seriously need to step up, or this squad is going to have the offensive firepower of the 2013 Astros or Marlins.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 662 Times in 374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    See: Hicks/Mastro for reasons why this is not a good idea.