Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MLB votes to ban home plate collisions

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Smart move. It's a huge risk (potential massive injury) play with pretty low reward (one run), especially considering players are now a $10M+/year investment. How does the game of baseball benefit if star players (runners or catchers) are hurt on a 100% avoidable play over 1 lousy run? I highly doubt many fans watch baseball just for the small chance they get to see a runner plow into a catcher. (we have football for that anyway)

I never understood why it was legal at home in the first place. You can't run into the firstbaseman or try to knock his glove away on a bang-bang play at first, so why can you at home?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jm3319 View Post
    Smart move. It's a huge risk (potential massive injury) play with pretty low reward (one run), especially considering players are now a $10M+/year investment. How does the game of baseball benefit if star players (runners or catchers) are hurt on a 100% avoidable play over 1 lousy run? I highly doubt many fans watch baseball just for the small chance they get to see a runner plow into a catcher. (we have football for that anyway)

I never understood why it was legal at home in the first place. You can't run into the firstbaseman or try to knock his glove away on a bang-bang play at first, so why can you at home?
    Great summary from a cost/value analysis.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Didn't take long for this rule to look like it's going to cause some problems.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...1989--mlb.html

Not a knee injury, but again shows how hard it is to avoid collisions when two players are focused on things other than where the other is.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Might also be an example of an umpire getting the safe-out call wrong becuase he was distracted by trying to get the call on rule 7.13 right.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123