Blog Entries

Article: 2014 Offseason Minnesota Twins Top 40 Prospect Countdown: 1-5

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
    Why did you mention Buxton's BABIP when you fail to mention Sano's? His BABIP of .397 was nearly identical to Buxton's at the same stop (Fort Myers).

Buxton's BABIP is more sustainable then Sano's because he's super fast and can beat out infield hits. Both are great prospects though.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hitters' BABIPs are to be compared only to themselves, and unlike pitchers', which should be around .290, depending on who you are talking to, they are all over the map depending on the hitter. I compared Buxton's 2013 BABIP to his 2012 BABIP. Would be meaningless to compare to Sano's. Yes, they are great prospects. Top 5 in baseball as a matter of fact

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remember that HRs aren't included in BABIP

ed893b7b0405147c8498db6096fce17e.png

And since roughly 1/4 of Sano's hits have left the park, his BABIP takes a hit (this is partially offset by striking out more though - 31% to 22%).

If you include HR's as "in play," the BABIP's are:

Buxton: .421
    Sano: .407

IMO the whole Cedar Rapids-Mike Trout comps have unfailrly raised expectations for Buxton. Trout has exceeded the highest possible expectations. You could take all the speed out of Trout's game at this point and he'd still be a top 10 hitter. IMO its probably unlikely that Buxton ever becomes that good of a hitter (especially on Trout's timetable).

On the other hand, Sano's going to pound MLB pitching, its only a question of at what rate. Will he be a Chris Carter or mature into a selective, high OBP guy like Cabrera to go with the power, or something in between.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 12-15-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    IMO the whole Cedar Rapids-Mike Trout comps have unfailrly raised expectations for Buxton. Trout has exceeded the highest possible expectations. You could take all the speed out of Trout's game at this point and he'd still be a top 10 hitter. IMO its probably unlikely that Buxton ever becomes that good of a hitter (especially on Trout's timetable).

On the other hand, Sano's going to pound MLB pitching, its only a question of at what rate. Will he be a Chris Carter or mature into a selective, high OBP guy like Cabrera to go with the power, or something in between.
    Speaking of selectivity, there is a measure that most people don't talk about these days for some reason, called isoD (and it is analogous to isoP) for isolated discipline and it is OBP-BA. Buxton, Sano and Trout's isoDs have been around .090 all their careers. Sano's got higher in New Britain, but I think it is a SSS glitch because the BA got lower. So, if these guys hit around .300, their OBP will likely approach .400
    -----

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 277 Times in 144 Posts
    Thanks for these rankings- very thoughtful and very interesting.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    Thank you for these write-ups, Thrylos, I have really enjoyed them... you speak my language.

Just a nitpick, but remember that options are used to 'remove' someone from the 40-man roster, so calling up Sano in September will not 'use' an option unless you send him back down in September, which would be pointless. And I assume there will still be drek on the 40-man that can be removed in favor of a star prospect (or two, as I am hopeful Buxton also makes a September appearance).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Thank you for these write-ups, Thrylos, I have really enjoyed them... you speak my language.

Just a nitpick, but remember that options are used to 'remove' someone from the 40-man roster, so calling up Sano in September will not 'use' an option unless you send him back down in September, which would be pointless. And I assume there will still be drek on the 40-man that can be removed in favor of a star prospect (or two, as I am hopeful Buxton also makes a September appearance).
    Thanks, it was fun.

Agreed with the options (other than the fact that used to remove someone from the 25-man, and needs to be on the 40 man). Did I indicate otherwise? I just don't think that Buxton (especially, because Sano would need to be added to the 40 man roster before the 2014 Rule 5 draft) would be added to the 40-man roster, unless he can contribute and the Twins would need him to contribute (i.e. if they are competing.) The might want to save that roster spot for someone else before that Rule 5 draft.
    Not a matter of options
    -----

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Other than the Buxton/Sano switch, I like this top five.

I think the value of defense is a large reason why most people have Buxton ahead of Sano. Buxton has the potential to be a golden glove CF, while Sano could be a decent defensive 3B. I think that "small" difference tends to represent the idea that while Sano may be more feared in the batter's box, Buxton will provide more overall value to a team. However, that's just my take on other people's opinions.
    Also, the wRC+ comparison is quite an interesting one to see. It makes me even more excited for Sano than I was before. I keep forgetting how young he really is. He just looks older because he's so big. I'll have to keep an eye out for more of your writing. Nice work!

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Other than the Buxton/Sano switch, I like this top five.
    You might find this interesting: I asked someone who watched (and broadcasted) every single game of both Sano's and Buxton's at Fort Myers this season to validate the Sano over Buxton, and here is this discussion.

These guys are very close. A jump of power by Buxton or continuation of dominance in New Britain might switch the rankings for me. And since age is a wash (Sano is 7 months older, but half a level ahead), I'd go with the higher production guy at this point.
    -----

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thrylos, I honestly don't really have a problem with flipping those two. I get the point. They are top 3 prospects OVERALL in baseball. That discussion was interesting. If Sano just harnesses his skills at fielding the ball, he could amount to an average or above average defender there.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Regardless of ranking, that is one nice top 5. (I think/hope Stewart will be the best of the bunch)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    x<3.8 seconds to first base can definitely help one's BABIP.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    x<3.8 seconds to first base can definitely help one's BABIP.
    Did not in 2012
    -----

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Did not in 2012
    Data sample was too small.

Blog Entries
    Did not in 2012
    ..."can" help...was the word I used. As opposed to someone else slower.

We'd have to find something with balls hit in the IF and his AVG there versus the league average. Would be best weighted if we knew speed of each player relative to the average attained. if you're wanting something exact.

His BABIP is definitely high, but it's not that high for someone with his K% and HR%.

Mike Trout his .420 BABIP at A-ball. He's at .366 in MLB now.

Paul Goldschmidt hit .385 in A+, he's a .340 guy in MLB. Add the HRs and his BABIP would be even higher.

Blog Entries
    Did not in 2012
    But yes, you're right - his BABIP and his AVG were definitely lower in 2012.