Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matt Garza Return?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 786 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    BTW, after improving last year, that signing of Sanchez looks like genius.
    Yeah, I was waaaaaaayyy off-base on Sanchez. I didn't see his 2013 season coming at all. Not with the transition to the AL and leaving Marlins Park/Pro Players/whatever the hell they called it.

Of course, there's still a lot of time left on that contract to be right but so far, it's looking really good for the Tigers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I hate watching Pelfrey pitch. Hate it hate it hate it. Dude spends 20 seconds frenching his hand, paces around the mound, and probably cooks a pot roast between pitches... I don't know because I've usually fallen asleep by that point.
    Me in April:

"Guess I'll turn on the Twins game."

"What's that? Oh, Pelfrey's pitching? And the count is 3-2?"

"I think I'll just watch Dances With Wolves real quick then flip the game back on and see what happened with this batter. Before you know it, we'll be in the second inning!"

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like Pelfrey on a two-year deal for (relatively) cheap. The seond half aof last season he had the highest velocity (94-95) and so/9 (7.1) of his career, showing that there is definitely potential upside there at age 29. If it doesn't work out, so what? $5-6M/yr. on a short-term deal is chump change these days for starting pitching. I also would sign either Arroyo at 3/$36M or Garza at 4/$64, but that's as high as i would go in years or dollars for either.

It looks like the market going forward (with new TV revenue dollars) is shaping up like this: $5-8M/yr for #4-5 starters, $9-12M for 3+, 3, 3- starters, $13-16M, yr. for 2+, 2, 2- starters, $17-19M for 1- starters and $20M+/yr. for the 7-10 truly dominant "aces".

I would rate Correia, Pelfrey and Hughes as solid 4/5 guys that most teams would welcome at the back end of their rotations. Nolasco and Arroyo are 3+ guys and Garza a 2+.

I think I'm coming around to resigning Pelfrey, 2 years off of tommy john, he could be better. I would love it if they signed Garza. He has very good stuff. I'm not sure he wants to return to Rick "pitch to contact" Anderson though. Not his style.

Would be awesome if they would get him though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12