Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heyman: Twins have 4 starting pitchers on their list

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    If the Twins are all in , maybe they should front load his contract ,4/64
    20,20,12,12, that way if they want to trade him in a couple years,
    He has more value in trade, and we have the money now with the All Star bump
    and next year we have Ham,Correia and Burton coming off the books
    I wish more teams did this... It makes all the sense in the world for the Twins to front-load a contract.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I wish more teams did this... It makes all the sense in the world for the Twins to front-load a contract.
    Does anyone? It's a player driven issue that it doesn't happen.

Blog Entries
    True. I should have phrased it "I wish anyone did this".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    So today we've heard the following four rumors:

The Dbacks, Angels and Twins have been talking to Garza.

Garza expects to sign in the next 24-48 hours.

Kevin Towers won't give any free agent five years aside from Tanaka, who is their top priority, and he can't see the team giving four years.

The Angels aren't close to signing anyone.

All these rumors are just that, rumors. But if they are accurate, one would have to think the Twins are the front runners for Garza.

Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    So today we've heard the following four rumors:

The Dbacks, Angels and Twins have been talking to Garza.

Garza expects to sign in the next 24-48 hours.

Kevin Towers won't give any free agent five years aside from Tanaka, who is their top priority, and he can't see the team giving four years.

The Angels aren't close to signing anyone.

All these rumors are just that, rumors. But if they are accurate, one would have to think the Twins are the front runners for Garza.
    We also saw this one:

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No reason for Garza to sign before Tanaka posts / doesn't post.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    That is how you get pitchers upset about their contracts and then they demand extensions or be traded.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It really seems like Garza is becoming under rated in this off season, it could be a steal to snag him before the Tanaka posting. I love the idea of signing Garza 5/75 with a 5 mill muyout on the final year. This makes Corriea expendable at the deadlin if Gibson or Meyers are ready.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    It really seems like Garza is becoming under rated in this off season, it could be a steal to snag him before the Tanaka posting. I love the idea of signing Garza 5/75 with a 5 mill muyout on the final year. This makes Corriea expendable at the deadlin if Gibson or Meyers are ready.
    You kind of make it sound like Correia is not expendable now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Well, teams (businesses) in general don't front load anything, because of the present value of money......which is ludicrous now that inflation hasn't existed in a few years. It is about taxes, and other stuff too.....that and players have an odd thing in their head about annual numbers, rather than total numbers.
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    That is how you get pitchers upset about their contracts and then they demand extensions or be traded.
    That means those pitchers are extremely "not smart" and should leave such matters to their financial advisors and/or agents. Money doesn't devalue. Getting paid $10m now is not going be worth less than $10m in five years. Sure, inflation won't adjust the monetary value of a contract much (especially lately) but it will value the contract a least a little more on average.

Not to mention that investing $10m now will net you a hell of a lot more money than investing that $10m in five years. With the average investment return being what it is, that $10m will be worth a lot more with five years of investment behind it. It's flat-out stupid for a player to not recognize this and eagerly agree to a front-loaded contract. If my job offered to pay me 150% of my yearly salary for three years and half that in the following three years, I'd be ecstatic because I'd be able to heavily invest 50% of my salary and reap some pretty awesome financial rewards for it.

Everybody wins with front-loaded contracts. Sure, the ballclub technically pays a little more upfront in non-inflated wages but it also allows them to structure a contract so that they can compete better in coming years, which will more than compensate for the small fraction of non-inflated money through increased attendance and media revenue.

12. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ericchri (12-12-2013), freshinthehouse (12-13-2013)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123