Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite Jacque Jones memories?

What are your favorite Jacque Jones memories?

I am working on a short little blog article in regards to Jacque Jones since he is on the Hall of Fame ballot this year. A lot of it will be how he was one of the key "links" from the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Twins Years to the rejuvenated teams that won three straight division titles.

I was hoping to include a couple short thoughts/quips from posters on Twinsdaily (and will credit them as such) in regards to Jacque Jones. So, what were your favorite Jones memories?

My favorite memory is 2002 where he was arguably the Twins second best player and a big reason why they made the playoffs for the first time in over a decade, that season always reminded me of Shane Mack's "under the radar" 1991 season.

2. This user likes David Woodley's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Probably his post season homers off of Brown and Mussina.

4. This user likes gunnarthor's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A D. Hocking's Avatar
    Liked 382 Times in 145 Posts
    I know my least favorite is his careless, post-game celebration stomping. Watch where you step Jacque!

6. These 4 users like D. Hocking's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

David Woodley (12-10-2013), glunn (12-12-2013), Halsey Hall (12-10-2013), Stan Zbornak (12-14-2013)

Back when the Twins were just starting to turn it around with Hunter, Dougie Baseball, Koskie, Jones, etc. I went to a game with some friends. We sat in the outfield and at some point Jones & Hunter are out there playing catch. So I start yelling at Jones to throw me a ball for the kids sitting near us. He acknowledges and throws one me one. Spot on throw and I stone hand it. Some large guy three rows down grabs it. So I yell at him again and he throws another one. Another spot on throw, and I stone hand it again. Ball goes down three rows to another large man. At this point Jones looks at me and shakes his head. He then proceeds to tell Hunter what has transpired while pointing at me. Hunter then yells "Nice Hands!" as the whole section laughs. Hunter & Jones then proceed to call the kids I was trying to catch the ball for down to the railing so they can hand them each one. Those guys were class acts.

8. These 3 users like MacTheKnife's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-12-2013), glunn (12-12-2013), J-Dog Dungan (12-12-2013)

I took the day off of work on opening day 2002 and watched him hit a leadoff HR. That was such a fun time to be a Twins fan, they came from such a dark stretch that having good baseball to watch was incredibly exciting. And that Jones HR really kicked off what might've been my favorite Twins season (non-87 & 91 category).

10. These 2 users like UCLA_YANKEE_COLA's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-12-2013), glunn (12-12-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    The home run off Mussina in Yankee Stadium after his father had passed away and his home run in 2005 off Garcia when he had a no hitter going and we won 1-0 on one hit.

Least favorite moments- his "throw" in that same game which was a lob to LeCroy when he may have had a chance to get Jeter out at home and any at bat against Buehrle.

12. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_YANKEE_COLA View Post
    I took the day off of work on opening day 2002 and watched him hit a leadoff HR. That was such a fun time to be a Twins fan, they came from such a dark stretch that having good baseball to watch was incredibly exciting. And that Jones HR really kicked off what might've been my favorite Twins season (non-87 & 91 category).
    This is a very good one too. That really set the tone for that season. Also my most enjoyable season of the past 20 years.

14. This user likes notoriousgod71's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

His throw to the plate in the 12th inning of 2004 game 2 ALDS. He caught the ball a few steps from the infield and Lecroy still had to cut it off! Oh the memories!

On a serious note. His 2005 8th inning HR against the Whitesox to break up the no-hitter and give them a 1-0 win.

I also enjoyed his 18-hop throws to the plate, and his occasional air mail throw 50 feet above the catchers head into or over the netting.

I once read a story of Jacque getting a fan ejected because the fan angrily yelled at jacque to hustle off the field when the inning was over.
    Last edited by Marta Shearing; 12-10-2013 at 05:57 PM.

16. This user likes Marta Shearing's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Definitely the home run off Freddy Garcia to break up the no-no, and eventually win 1-0.

And the standing ovation at the Target Field exhibition opener for his at-bat. Pretty classy moment!

18. This user likes Hawkeye12's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Joe A. Preusser's Avatar
    Liked 165 Times in 95 Posts
    No disrespect intended, I loved this guy, but my most vivid memory is of Jones striking out with the bases loaded by swinging through a pitch at his eyes. Can't remember the game or year, but that AB will stay with me forever

20. This user likes Joe A. Preusser's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    And the standing ovation at the Target Field exhibition opener for his at-bat. Pretty classy moment!
    This is the one for me.

22. This user likes 70charger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Jacque and Torii Hunter were both part of a group of major leaguers that came through Yokota Air Base near Tokyo while my family and I were stationed there. They put on a clinic, did a meet and greet, and passed out goodies. My 2 boys were still pretty young then, but I had already brainwashed them into being big time Twins fans. Both were decked out in Twins gear for the clinic. Jacque Jones couldn't have been nicer, spending extra time with them, joking around, and making them feel special. I'll always be grateful for that.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

24. These 2 users like USAFChief's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013), stringer bell (12-10-2013)

Definitely the home run off Freddy Garcia to break up the no-no, and eventually win 1-0.

I was at that Garcia game. It was beauty amidst a lost season (2005). On an 0-2 count also.

He had that two homer game off Bartolo Colon to cap a sweep of the White Sox in Sept. 2003

Jacque is my favorite Twin ever. He was clutch and he proved doubters wrong.

26. This user likes twinsfaninsaudi's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Ditto.

28. This user likes deanlambrecht's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Liked 122 Times in 77 Posts
    I had 2 of his bobbleheads, from the Miracle. He was going to be at the State Capital one day and I lived very close, so went over to see him. Chatted a bit, and told him I'd just gotten these. He hadn't even seen one and said his son would love one. So I took him a bobblehead, at a game. I went down to the dugout, and Ulger said he was still inside, so asked Scott to give it to JJ. Well, I'm sitting where I can see into the dugout, and couldn't really tell what they'd done, but the bunch sure had fun with JJ, razzing and all. Jim Kohman, the trainer was the instigator. I got a kick out of it.

30. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-12-2013)

Any thing else? Need these by EOD

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 288 Times in 150 Posts
    JJ was a guy who gave us hope, a guy who got better in the uniform (as compared to all those guys back then we were told had potential, but never showed it), and a guy who was trying hard all the time. A leadoff HR is a great way to start a game, too.

He was a sulker who couldnt handle criticism, even if it was constructive.

Overall I guess I liked Jacque. Best memory? Probably opening day 2002.
    Last edited by Marta Shearing; 12-12-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Agree with the '02 Opening Day HR, Garcia blown no-no, the Moose, and the ovation.
    What I loved about him has his Eddie-Murphy-doing-Stevie-Wonder smile and the sense of fun he brought to the team, and to the game. Seeing him out there with Hunter, and later Stewart, you could feel how much they fed off each other, made each other better, and made the whole team better.

JJ has no shot for HOF, but hey- he got on the ballot. I'm happy for him and would love to see him coaching 'round these parts some day.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

These all look great!

One more question: I was able to get Jacque to be kind enough to answer several questions for me earlier today, do any of you (Seth, Pig, Nick, John etc looking in your direction) Have any way to get in touch with Ryan or Gardy to ask them the same question? For a quick memory, story, quip about Jones?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast