Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Twins & SS Stephen Drew?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins & SS Stephen Drew?

Per Matthew Cerrone of Metsblog, the Twins are one of three team in on top free agent SS Stephen Drew, who received a qualified offer:

http://metsblog.com/metsblog/mets-st...-stephen-drew/

2. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-11-2013)

I really don't like this potential spot for Drew. First of all, he is basically the only SS on the market worth a damn, so he is likely going to get upwards of $50 million. Secondly, He is a defensive (a really great one) SS with little bat potential. Finally, don't we already have Steven Drew in the form of Florimon? Defensive with little bat? If the twins don't want to move forward with Florimon couldn't they just do the Dozier and reconstruct Rosario into a SS, he will likely be moving anyway according to Ryan

4. These 2 users like Trautmann13's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (12-11-2013), twinsfan34 (12-10-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
    Pass. Injury prone, costs a draft pick, and will be over payed. If you are willing to give up a draft pick and over pay someone go for a better player.

6. These 3 users like cmb0252's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (12-10-2013), Reider (12-11-2013), thetank (12-10-2013)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Allegedly Ryan was not willing to give away that second round draft pick for a starter, I just cannot see him giving it away for Drew plus paying him 3/$36M or something. I just don't see it, but strange things happen...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 527 Times in 347 Posts
    Drew had a positive offensive WAR, Floriman, not so much.....by any measure, he's better than Floriman.

But you don't do this unless you are trying to win this year or next year.......which requires maybe another SP.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wanted Drew a year ago, but I don't think he's worth giving up a draft pick now.
    I bent my wookie...

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,480 Times in 776 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to have Drew, not so much at the expense of a draft pick.

But hey, if it drives down his price to the point that it's a good deal, pull the trigger. The Twins have the advantage of not losing their first round pick for it, unlike most teams.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    I don't trust him. Even in his "healthy" comeback year he still missed over 30 games. Let the Red Sox make the same mistake the Giants just made after winning the World Series. Let them re-sign all their core vets who just happened to have career or bounce back years.

He's much better than what the Twins have now, but he's not elite and whatever skill he has seems less than 50/50 to continue throughout a 3 year deal.

12. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

thetank (12-10-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Why the concern over the pick? How often will a second rounder even contribute 2 GOOD seasons to a team? Drew is worth 2.5-3 WAR a year.....

For the Twins:
    Assuming it takes 5 years to make the majors...starting with 2008 draft picks (and working backward), 21 picks in round two contributed no WAR, or negative WAR, while 6 contributed positive WAR in the last couple of decades.......two of those less than 2.5 WAR for their career. Only Baker, Slowey, Crain and Jaque Jones contributed more than 2.5 WAR for their career from 1984 - 2008.
    Lighten up Francis....

14. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Badsmerf (12-10-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 101 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why the concern over the pick? How often will a second rounder even contribute 2 GOOD seasons to a team? Drew is worth 2.5-3 WAR a year.....

For the Twins:
    Assuming it takes 5 years to make the majors...starting with 2008 draft picks (and working backward), 21 picks in round two contributed no WAR, or negative WAR, while 6 contributed positive WAR in the last couple of decades.......two of those less than 2.5 WAR for their career. Only Baker, Slowey, Crain and Jaque Jones contributed more than 2.5 WAR for their career from 1984 - 2008.
    How often is Steph Drew worth 2.5-3 WAR a year? It's not just about the draft pick. It's about getting rid of a draft pick, draft budget, to sign an often injured player. Heck, even if he didn't have the draft pick connected to him I wouldn't want the Twins to sign him at 3/30+.
    Last edited by cmb0252; 12-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.

16. This user likes cmb0252's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (12-10-2013)

I doubt the Twins will give up a draft pick for Drew. Only circumstance would be his value has fallen far enough that giving up a pick is worth it in Terry's mind and like I say Red Sox will retain him if value drops that much.

18. This user likes ND-Fan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

thetank (12-10-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    If we are going to surrender a draft pick, I for one, would prefer one of the pitchers like tied to draft pick comp. I am not completely against an upgrade at SS which Drew most definitely would be. Also could we have had Brett Anderson for that return, geez the hot stove is fluid during the winter meetings.

Senior Member MVP
    My post was mostly to debunk the "omg, they might lose a 2nd round pick" argument in general.......I'll just assume you meant Stephen, not JD.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post

For the Twins:
    Well this year it's a deep class, so the twins are in line for a normal 1st round talent with there second pick, which equals a top 10 prospect even in a deep system like the Twins farm system. So, is Drew worth a trade of a top 10 Twins prospect plus a over market contact? I don't think He is, though other Free agents are for sure.

22. These 3 users like maxisagod's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

birdwatcher (12-10-2013), johnnydakota (12-10-2013), twinsfan34 (12-10-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Wouldnt we be better off saving the draft pick, and spend the money on A.Diaz?

24. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AHSaves (12-10-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by maxisagod View Post
    Well this year it's a deep class, so the twins are in line for a normal 1st round talent with there second pick, which equals a top 10 prospect even in a deep system like the Twins farm system. So, is Drew worth a trade of a top 10 Twins prospect plus a over market contact? I don't think He is, though other Free agents are for sure.
    IF the player works out. Heck, the Twins have wasted top 5 picks, let alone second rounders.
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    If we are going to surrender a draft pick, I for one, would prefer one of the pitchers like tied to draft pick comp. I am not completely against an upgrade at SS which Drew most definitely would be. Also could we have had Brett Anderson for that return, geez the hot stove is fluid during the winter meetings.
    The Rockie just traded for Anderson

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins sign him it will be for a 3/27 with probably a million or so incentive per season for staying on the field. The only concern with Florimon is if he regresses more with the bat. He'll be fine defensively. THere is lots of pressure for the Twins to make improvements next year with the citiznes who paid for the park and because the allstar game will be here next year. You don't want to be the door mat the year the allstar game is in your neighborhood. and so far the Twins have been thwarted on the offensive side of things with their inability to get a C and then Davis signed with Detroit. Looks like they are getting closer to signing Arroyo. but back to Drew. I am not against it if the price is 3/30 or less. and I still think Young is one of the better signings we could make since it would be short term and he doesnt strike out much either.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Drew is being way undervalued here. Shortstops who hit league average with good defense don't grow on trees. As I mentioned before, Tulo and Peralta are the only players who've met that standard in the last three years. Drew just missed due to his bad start coming back from injury in 2012.

The comparison to Florimon was just not accurate. Drew was 40% better than Florimon at the plate in 2013. Drew - wRC+ 109. Florimon - wRC+ 68.

I would not overpay, but I wouldn't rule it out. I'd wait it out and see if the market thinned. Value is value.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    The Twins might just be hanging around to see if they can get him at a reasonable price - injury concerns and the draft pick could limit the market for Drew. Plus the Indians are open to trading Cabrera, and there aren't a ton of teams shopping for a SS.

Financially, it's the same story as it has been- the Twins have plenty of payroll space and no one internally will be getting a big raise in the next 3 years.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast