Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Rumor Mill Round-Up: 12/9

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Rumor Mill Round-Up: 12/9

2. This user likes Nick Nelson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bump up the rating on Arroyo? Wolfson tweeting that the Twins will meet with his agent Monday afternoon.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
    I hope any pitcher we get at this point is either a trade for a guy with upside like Brett Anderson or Hellickson whose value is low right now or a cheap reclamation project with upside. Even a big splash like a move for a guy like Homer Bailey (assuming extension included) would be pretty great.

I'm just not interested in an innings eater and was ecstatic with the Nolasco and Hughes signing mostly due to it meaning we wouldn't be signing Arroyo. Too old and not worth it for this team.

Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Bump up the rating on Arroyo? Wolfson tweeting that the Twins will meet with his agent Monday afternoon.
    Good call, I've updated the column, thanks Jim.

Everyone else: Feel free to share any rumors you've come across here in the comments.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
    Arroyo on two year deal wouldn't Be bad but I think it will take three years to get him. I don't like arroyo mainly because he doesn't throw hard and I think he would be tough to flip for prospects. I would like the Twins to aim higher but it would be an ok move in my opinion.

7. This user likes Dman's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wasn't thrilled with Arroyo when the speculation was that he would be the Twins big (or only?) addition to the rotation. But as one of three additions, along with Nolasco and Hughes, I'd be OK with it. Two years plus a club option for the 3rd, perhaps with a decent enough buyout that it makes it worthwhile for the player to sign, would be ideal for me. I suspect it will take at least 3 and perhaps more guaranteed, though. I honestly don't see that as too much of a problem, given the lack of long term Twins payroll commitments, though.

9. This user likes Jim Crikket's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    Buck would be a solid catching option. That would help me feel slightly better about that position next year.

11. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 78 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Buck would be a solid catching option. That would help me feel slightly better about that position next year.
    Ditto

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Buck would be OK, do not view Chris Hermann as a solution. Would like another pitcher, possibly in a trade if price is right. The ones mentioned above would be fine, though not as in on Hellickson as some of the rest.

14. This user likes beckmt's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

I would be more than satisfied with Buck on a one year deal and Arroyo on 2/20 with club option. I think Arroyo for guaranteed 3 years is no good given that he is aging quickly. I think if they signed these guys they would be ready for '14, with maybe the exception of a SS but that isn't looking too likely

16. This user likes Trautmann13's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    I like Buck as a backup/platoon guy. In fact let him be the regular catcher for the entire month of April. It seems to me he is the opposite of the traditional Twins hitter, he starts off hot and produces most of his power in the first month or so.

18. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    We would be better served trading for Johnny Monell , then signing Buck ...just saying
    As for Bronson , 2 years yes, 3 years no. And if they are thinking of extending Correia--- oh hell no...dont do it

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a fan of the Buck idea.

We have a couple of ex-catchers in Mauer and Steinbach who can help mentor Pinto. I thought they specifically had Fryer on the 40-man roster to be a backup. We also have Chris Herrmann and, if necessary, Ryan Doumit.
    I get Herrmann isn't exactly a monster at the plate, but neither is Buck.

See nothing in it for the Twins to pursue this acquisition.

21. This user likes Oldgoat_MN's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Glad to see we are still in on Arroyo and possibly Garza. Will make the out of option guys fighting for the last spot in the rotation even bigger. Although I think Deduno gets it if healthy anyway. Arroyo as the number one was kind of scary, but Arroyo as a three or four for a good price would be a huge upgrade.

23. This user likes Hawkeye12's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    I would guess that if the Twins are going to sign another starter, it will be more of a low-level signing
    The options for the last two spots in the rotation includes guys who are out of options (Deduno, Worley, Diamond), a top org prospect (Gibson), and several other guys (Albers, Johnson). Are you saying they'd bring in another guy to compete with them? Any examples of who you think that might be?

25. This user likes jay's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Pinto needs to learn to catch

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Buck idea.

We have a couple of ex-catchers in Mauer and Steinbach who can help mentor Pinto. I thought they specifically had Fryer on the 40-man roster to be a backup. We also have Chris Herrmann and, if necessary, Ryan Doumit.
    I get Herrmann isn't exactly a monster at the plate, but neither is Buck.

See nothing in it for the Twins to pursue this acquisition.
    He doesn't need a mentor, he needs AAA

27. This user likes Dave T's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (12-09-2013)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 652 Times in 366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    The options for the last two spots in the rotation includes guys who are out of options (Deduno, Worley, Diamond), a top org prospect (Gibson), and several other guys (Albers, Johnson). Are you saying they'd bring in another guy to compete with them? Any examples of who you think that might be?
    That worries me as well, I feel like adding another FA starter right now (prior to any 40 man roster moves) means losing someone who might have value for nothing.

29. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Today Ryan this morning was talking about Pelfrey and (Johan) Santana. Allegedly they have a 2/$10M offer out to Pelfrey.

That said, I will be surprised if they sign another pitcher. If they add another arm will likely be via a trade and one of more of the above names might be included. Other than Gibson and Worley, these guys would be no loss...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

31. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    This is why I'm not convinced they're going to bring another guy in and highly skeptical that it will be a high-profile guy. I think a Rich Harden type flyer (e.g. Johan) who would be cheap and could compete for the last spot is more likely.

33. This user likes Nick Nelson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-09-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Padres interested in Liam Hendriks???? lets put together a package for Burch Smith and his buddy Wisler, they were both taken in the 2011 darft, like #9 and #14....if we get these 2 players , I am friggin stoked from the off season and will think we have a much brighter future

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast