Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outfield ideas

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Trading for left handed hitting Domonic Brown , may not be the best idea ,if we are looking to upgrade the defense in the outfield, Brown and Willingham posted the same D-War last year , and we know how Target field treats Left handed power hitters

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Gardner doesn't really matter though. I don't see the Yankees doing that trade and he is supposedly a FA next season. He's a good player and immensely more valuable than Presley but not a good target.

Brown would be a fine target but the Twins would actually have to give up something good rather than the collection of unwanted parts proposed.

I like Corey Hart as a veteran OF'er to replace Willy's bat in the middle of the lineup. Playing time is a little crowded until someone gets injured or traded but Willy and Doumit are very unlikely to be resigned if they even make it past the trade deadline. This could leave Hart, Buxton, Hicks and Arcia as the opening day 2015 lineup (including DH). That might block someone but only if everyone of those rookies are successes (odds against).

I know this time of the baseball year is a lot of wild speculation and dream scenarios, but why would the Yankees trade Gardner for Plouffe when the Yankees have about 10 teams calling them up about Gardner?

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Gardner doesn't really matter though. I don't see the Yankees doing that trade and he is supposedly a FA next season. He's a good player and immensely more valuable than Presley but not a good target.

I like Corey Hart as a veteran OF'er to replace Willy's bat in the middle of the lineup. Playing time is a little crowded until someone gets injured or traded but Willy and Doumit are very unlikely to be resigned if they even make it past the trade deadline. This could leave Hart, Buxton, Hicks and Arcia as the opening day 2015 lineup (including DH). That might block someone but only if everyone of those rookies are successes (odds against).
    I was thinking Hart too but is he still mobile enough for the OF? If so, he could also back-up Mauer at first and DH if we move Willingham.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Gardner doesn't really matter though. I don't see the Yankees doing that trade and he is supposedly a FA next season. He's a good player and immensely more valuable than Presley but not a good target. Brown would be a fine target but the Twins would actually have to give up something good rather than the collection of unwanted parts proposed. I like Corey Hart as a veteran OF'er to replace Willy's bat in the middle of the lineup. Playing time is a little crowded until someone gets injured or traded but Willy and Doumit are very unlikely to be resigned if they even make it past the trade deadline. This could leave Hart, Buxton, Hicks and Arcia as the opening day 2015 lineup (including DH). That might block someone but only if everyone of those rookies are successes (odds against).
    Crowded just means we actually have bats on the bench for once. Gardy likes to give his bench more at bats than most, so I won;t worry one bit about a crowded outfield.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    I was thinking Hart too but is he still mobile enough for the OF? If so, he could also back-up Mauer at first and DH if we move Willingham.
    I think eventually he would be a DH after Willy is gone but I think it's important for a team to have a couple solid veteran hitters on a team filled with youngsters.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Here's a crazy idea.....if the cost was Rosario and Berrios (just a hypothetical, no reasoning other than to put two names out there) and the Dodgers agreed to pony up 50M.....

Would you take a gamble on Kemp?

Imagine an outfield with Kemp, Buxton, and Hicks with Arcia mercifully moved to DH?

Twitter
    @Trimbletj
    Liked 46 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    A Gardner-Buxton-Hicks OF is pretty enticing, but no.
    This. Think of the defense!

Alas, I don't think the Twins have the pieces to get Gardner...

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 814 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Here's a crazy idea.....if the cost was Rosario and Berrios (just a hypothetical, no reasoning other than to put two names out there) and the Dodgers agreed to pony up 50M.....

Would you take a gamble on Kemp?

Imagine an outfield with Kemp, Buxton, and Hicks with Arcia mercifully moved to DH?
    It is very intriguing- that potential OF could be incredible, but it is quite the gamble. The ankle injury he sustained in 2013 was quite serious, with radical surgery and scary microfracture issues ( the last I read, Kemp wasn't going to ready for Spring Training), along with his torn labrum problem that carried over to his sub-standard 2013 performance from 2012. As Kemp is signed through 2019, even with $50M from the Dodgers thrown in, you're still talking about $78M due over the life of the contract- that's basically like having a Justin Morneau situation on your hands for the remainder of the decade.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-09-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    I wouldn't touch Kemp at any price right now. Certainly not including good prospects for him.

Labrum surgery has screwed up guys for years or they never returned to the same level. And microfracture surgery has an even worse track record. I hope he's not another Sizemore but I wouldn't want his contract on the Twins even if it was subsidized by 50M.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Ah, didn't see the labrum thing. The ankle thing I was less worried about. I just thought it was an interesting idea since he's being shopped around.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    The OF is going to be Willingham, Pressley, Arcia with Mastroianni on the bench unless Hicks earns the CF job then it will come down to who is hitting better Pressley or Doumit.

We have adequate across the board with potential improvements coming up.
    Agreed Willingham, Pressley, and Arcia will be the starters in 2014. Hopefully Willingham rebounds so the Twins get a good return for him at the trade deadline.

No matter how good Hicks plays in spring training he played himself into AAA last year and will start there this year, back when Willie is gone or in the case of an injury.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12