Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Article: The Case For Brett Anderson

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts
    People do realize that Mr.Anderson has only started 24 games in the past 3 years and has only thrown a total of 162.3 innings in that time span? I'm all for trading for him but he is what he is, a lottery ticket. Suggesting giving up big time prospects for him is nuts.

2. These 4 users like cmb0252's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (12-07-2013), Monkeypaws (12-07-2013), stringer bell (12-07-2013), thetank (12-07-2013)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb0252 View Post
    People do realize that Mr.Anderson has only started 24 games in the past 3 years and has only thrown a total of 162.3 innings in that time span? I'm all for trading for him but he is what he is, a lottery ticket. Suggesting giving up big time prospects for him is nuts.
    Most top of the rotation starters want albatross contracts and will not be 26 when 2014 starts. I wouldn't think Tommy John and a fractured foot are going to scare off suitors and as far as I know he could pitch today if needed. Find me a cheaper #2-#3 with this much upside, who we know is available.

I wouldn't give up Arcia w/o an extension, but could see starting a package with Berrios and Thorpe as currently contracted. You rarely find these type of guys available at 26.
    Last edited by howieramone; 12-08-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Liriano had been on the trade block going into the 2010 season, which is a very similar scenario that Anderson is in right now. You would say its ridiculous to give him up for anything but another teams top 10-20 prospect.

It's funny how some people only want it to work one way. I would give up Berrios & Goodrum easily.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Willingham (+ a bit of his salary), Harrison, and Baxendale.
    They have plenty of power hitting corner OF/1B/DH types. There isnt much value in Willingham for them.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Most top of the rotation starters want albatross contracts and will not be 26 when 2014 starts. I wouldn't think Tommy John and a fractured foot are going to scare off suitors and as far as I know he could pitch today if needed. Find me a cheaper #2-#3 with this much upside, who we know is available.

I wouldn't give up Arcia w/o an extension, but could see starting a package with Berrios and Thorpe as currently contracted. He was BA's number 7 prospect at one time. You rarely find these type of guys available at 26.
    Oh hell no! That would be playing right into Beane's hand.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
    Oh hell no! That would be playing right into Beane's hand.
    Yeah, Thorpe I would keep out of it.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Yeah, Thorpe I would keep out of it.
    Thorpe is pie in the sky. He would be a high school senior right now. He may make it to Target Field by 2017 at the earliest. We still have the 2014 draft to replenish and if we go starting pitcher, it will be a higher rated prospect.

IMO Dombrowski, King Theo, and our very own Terry Ryan are just as capable as Beane.
    Last edited by howieramone; 12-08-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Blog Entries
    Thorpe is pie in the sky. He would be a high school senior right now. He may make it to Target Field by 2017 at the earliest. We still have the 2014 draft to replenish and if we go starting pitcher, it will be a higher rated prospect.

IMO Dombrowski, King Theo, and our very own Terry Ryan are just as capable as Beane.
    I can't say he is untouchable talent wise, so much can change from now until 5 years later when he's likely mlb ready. I just dont like the idea of trading guys that young before you have any semblence of what they can really be when they show. Im not opposed to trading Thorpe period. However in 2 years he very likely could be a top 20 prospect in all of baseball and could fetch 2-3 times what he would now.

Guys that young with that much upside I just want to get up to high A or AA before trading them away.

Pretty expensive player. We Need to move cautiously when giving up prospects. It was just a minute ago when the Twins farm had no players. Now they are restocked. I am not sure we should let players go easily.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a sucker's deal. The guy is injury prone. Does Billy Beane want some guys that are injured? Bet not. Funny how that works.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    If we're going to speculate we should at least speculate about the types of players Oakland looks for: young hitters with good walk rates and older, near-ready pitchers. Guys like Thorpe and Willingham just aren't going to be feasible options.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 813 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries

I must have missed the part of your baseball journey when you transfigured "King Theo" from a baseball hack adirft and aimlessly leading a forever hopeless and hapless rebuild of the Cubs to a new-and-improved member of Royal Baseball Blood...And...This just in- "just as capable"- as Terry Ryan.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 102 Times in 72 Posts

Jim Callis mentioned if Thorpe was in the upcoming draft, which is a much better draft than the last two, we would profile as a first rounder. Lefties with his kind of stuff don't grow on trees. Obviously any prospect can fail. Same for big leaguers who can't stay healthy. Just saying don't discount him because he is young.

15. These 2 users like cmb0252's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

InfraRen (12-10-2013), Tibs (12-08-2013)

I am not so sure an extension changes the value proposition here. If he signs as extension, he is going to demand the going rate (or close) or he likely just holds out for two years. Who here would opt to sign him for another 3 years at roughly $20M/yr it would take, given his inability to stay healthy.

His addition would take up most of the available budget (2016-18) until Mauer's contract is up is up at the end of 2018.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Jim Callis mentioned if Thorpe was in the upcoming draft, which is a much better draft than the last two, we would profile as a first rounder. Lefties with his kind of stuff don't grow on trees. Obviously any prospect can fail. Same for big leaguers who can't stay healthy. Just saying don't discount him because he is young.
    I agree. I was offering quality for quality. I would open the farm for a starting pitcher better than anyone we currently have or our SS of the future. Not much else.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    I am not so sure an extension changes the value proposition here. If he signs as extension, he is going to demand the going rate (or close) or he likely just holds out for two years.
    I think the idea is that, given his health history, Anderson might be open to extending at a somewhat discounted rate rather than waiting until after 2015 to hit the market and hope he can avoid more injuries. I'd bet that if he puts together a good, healthy season in 2014 the two sides could come to a reasonable agreement.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdosen View Post
    You do realize he has thrown 450+ career big league innings, no?
    450 IP spread over 5 seasons isn't that reliable of a sample for a SP.

Senior Member Triple-A InfraRen's Avatar
    Twitter
    @InfraRen
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal9s
    Source: #Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from #Athletics for Drew Pomeranz and Chris Jensen.
    Till I Collapse

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    A class A pitcher, and a former top prospect who has been bad in the majors......more teams should have been willing to do that price, imo.
    Lighten up Francis....

22. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oxtung (12-10-2013)

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm . . . seems like the Twins could have beaten that offer w/out seriously impacting the farm system. Curious.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast