Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: The Case For Brett Anderson

Liked 3,014 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    On what do you base that much value? Cuz that's a lot to give up, for such a risk and such a price. The pedigree doesn't seem thaaat good. Curious, not nitpicky.
    I don't value minor leaguers (in particular low minor leaguers) as much as many, and want the Twins to end up with a couple top of the line starters. I think Anderson has a better chance of being one, and sooner, than does random minor leaguer somewhere down the road.

Meyer would be a tough call, but again I think Beane wants the $8m to use this year and won't have $12m next year, while most other teams don't have $8m laying around to gamble with while the Twins do, so I don't think the price will be that high.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 52 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The A's were Willinghams last team. Suppose the Twins trade him and his 7 million contract back to Oakland for Anderson and his 8 million contract? That is something Beane would do since he already has the money spent. Both players have questions marks going into next year.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    The A's were Willinghams last team. Suppose the Twins trade him and his 7 million contract back to Oakland for Anderson and his 8 million contract? That is something Beane would do since he already has the money spent. Both players have questions marks going into next year.
    Beane can find a newer, younger Willingham at a far cheaper price.

You want a name that might entice them? Travis Harrison - fits their mold of player so far. Might be enough to get it done too.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    AT first I thought, stupid, yah right. Then I thought hmm, A's are in win now mode, Willingham wouldn't be enough alone but he could probably be part of the package. Plus that frees up the Twins a little more cash. Maybe we send Harrison, Willingham and some cash for him. I could definitely live with that. I don't know what their needs are as far as a power hitting DH/corner OF though. Any insight anyone?

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halfchest View Post
    AT first I thought, stupid, yah right. Then I thought hmm, A's are in win now mode, Willingham wouldn't be enough alone but he could probably be part of the package. Plus that frees up the Twins a little more cash. Maybe we send Harrison, Willingham and some cash for him. I could definitely live with that. I don't know what their needs are as far as a power hitting DH/corner OF though. Any insight anyone?
    It looks to me Arcia would be the best fit. Since it appears Anderson is ready to pitch right now, would you trade 25 HR's and .280 for a lefthanded #2-#3? I would only make the deal with a 3+1 year extension. Tough call.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Willingham (+ a bit of his salary), Harrison, and Baxendale.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    Willingham for Anderson straight up is pretty interesting, as Shane suggests, throw in a 'spec to get it done.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Moneyball won't take a power hitter in decline coming off a poor season, a good Class A power prospect w/o a position, and a borderline starting pitching prospect for a 25 year-old lefty #2-#3. Garza is the only #2 in free agency and he is going to fetch 5 years for 85M-100M.
    Last edited by howieramone; 12-07-2013 at 11:28 AM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 614 Times in 342 Posts
    I think Harrison would have high value to Oakland moreso than other teams. He'd have more value than Willingham for sure. Harrison and a bullpen arm or another spec is more likely to me than tossing them a player they already didn't want to keep recently. that move only makes sense due to position, but nothing else about Hammer makes sense.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    I tend to agree that salary relief is more important than return to BB and the A's in this deal. That's not to say that they will settle for the Twins to stock their soda machine next season, but Harrison and a lower-tier arm should be enough if the Twins are willing to eat the contract.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    I'd love for the Twins to pick up Anderson. He is a legitimate starter on a playoff team with the potential to be a game 1 starter. He is left handed and still only 25. I'd trade for him in a heartbeat. If things go well in 2014 I would look at signing an extension next fall, if they don't you cut bait. There is an interesting crop of FA SP next winter (of course many of those might sign extensions yet). If he is good and the Twins can't get the extension then he is a possible mid-season trade candidate in 2015 and as someone stated earlier, there is no better trade chip in baseball than starting pitching.

I really see no downside here. Chance at an ace with no long term salary commitments.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Cannot trade Gonsalves (or Stewart for that matter) until a year after they signed... Late summer
    Starting in January they could be a part of a package as a PTBNL.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    It looks to me Arcia would be the best fit. Since it appears Anderson is ready to pitch right now, would you trade 25 HR's and .280 for a lefthanded #2-#3? I would only make the deal with a 3+1 year extension. Tough call.
    I couldn't give up anyone as valuable as Arcia for him. He has value I get that we're not getting him for peanuts but anyone young and under control for many years along with being major league ready is too much.

I like Willingham as part of the deal for sure since he wont' be around when we start winning and could be a really nice middle of the order bat for them. That wouldn't be enough. I would offer a middle reliever that they might like as we have a glut of guys who did pretty good last year and might be helpful on a playoff team. Then I would look at our out of the top ten prospects. A young guy with upside that might intrigue them. Brett's got value due to his youth and performance but his health over the last three seasons drives that down.

I've said it before if I were Beane I'd probably just keep him and hope he can have a healthy productive first half. Then either keep him cuz your team is in playoff contention or flip him for a lot more than he's worth right now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I was thinking of Baxendale and Harrison as well. Willingham would be a good add, and you are right the Twins should cover some of his salary.

That sounds like a great offer to me. Might be laughed at, since we undoubtedly view the Twins prospects too highly.

Would also really hope for a 4/40 extension or something like that after 1 year..

longterm rotation of:Anderson, Meyer, Gibson, Nolasco and Hughes. Nice.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 34 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a useful comp is the Gio trade last year...Nats traded four guys, none ranked in the BP top 100...Peacock, AJ Cole, Milone, and Norris. A package starting with Harrison and Baxendale (or maybe Berrios) isn't crazy, in my opinion.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AM. View Post
    I think a useful comp is the Gio trade last year...Nats traded four guys, none ranked in the BP top 100...Peacock, AJ Cole, Milone, and Norris. A package starting with Harrison and Baxendale (or maybe Berrios) isn't crazy, in my opinion.
    No way is Gio a comp for Anderson. Gio was coming off consecutive 200 inning seasons when he was traded.

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I'd trade Perkins for this guy. I hate the closer role. The best pitcher in the bullpen only gets used for three outs in the 9th when there's a lead? Drives me crazy. Perkins showed a few cracks in the armor anyway.
    I agree I've been a big proponent of having an "ace reliver" rather than a proven closer for a long time now. Perkins should be used in the highest leverage situations, no matter the time of game. If the bases are loaded in a tie game in the 6th, have him put out the fire rather than someone who is worse and possibly not even get to use Perkins to save a win.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Unfortunately Anderson has not provided much more to judge him on recently, or ever, really.
    You do realize he has thrown 450+ career big league innings, no?
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I'd trade Perkins for this guy. I hate the closer role. The best pitcher in the bullpen only gets used for three outs in the 9th when there's a lead? Drives me crazy. Perkins showed a few cracks in the armor anyway.
    Given Perkins team-friendly contract, I wouldn't. Walker seems like a good fit because he is also a boom or bust proposition. It could end up a win-win trade for both teams.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    Moneyball won't take a power hitter in decline coming off a poor season, a good Class A power prospect w/o a position, and a borderline starting pitching prospect for a 25 year-old lefty #2-#3. Garza is the only #2 in free agency and he is going to fetch 5 years for 85M-100M.
    Absolutely agree.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast