Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Next?

Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Suzuki is well below average when it comes to receiving pitches as measured by PitchFX. Those catchers are gone and went fast. Remaining are the poor receivers like Buck and Suzuki. The Twins decision making about catchers shows they don't value the data related to framing. I hope they are right.
    I'm far more concerned with a catcher who can work with the young pitchers and Pinto than their FX numbers. If you make a list or traits you want in a defensive minded veteran catcher, FX numbers are down the list.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,295 Times in 773 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I haven't heard about his elbow. Is this a ligament issue?
    I couldn't find any mention of such an issue with Pinto. Might it have been a confusion with Sano having been shut down during his winter league?

Darren Wolfson on twitter thinks they are still checking in on John Buck who I assume would replace Fryar on the 40 man if signed. Jeremy Nygaard seems to think they are still in on Bronson Arroyo and could surprise us with a signing at the winter meetings. I would be thrilled with both these moves but if we also draft a rule 5 guy, that is two other roster spots that would need to be created on the 40 man. Also, 5 man rotation would be set with Nolasco, Hughes, Arroyo, Correa, and Deduno. Gibson would be at AAA in that scenario.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    I'm far more concerned with a catcher who can work with the young pitchers and Pinto than their FX numbers. If you make a list or traits you want in a defensive minded veteran catcher, FX numbers are down the list.
    I agree. I bet Crash Davis can't even spell FX.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSim22 View Post
    I am sure the Twins agree with you.

The Rays believe that guys like Molina and hangman save them as much as a half a run per game by framing. Compared to poor framers like Doumit the difference is greater. The pirates and Yankees are certainly on board. The Dodgers look to have changed by their quotes and their roster decisions during last season.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy10 View Post
    Many posters are saying just go with Pinto but do not mention his bad elbow, what's the timetable there? And I would also not trade for a middling player/players who will be in their last contract year in 2014, that is counter productive to say the least.
    I think you are thinking of Sano.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vzltwins View Post
    I think you are thinking of Sano.
    Pinto missed time behind the plate at New Britain with a sore arm (elbow). He hasn't played in his winter league in a couple of weeks, and I believe at least part of the reason is a sore elbow. It's not believed to be serious IIRC.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I keep shaking my head when people suggest we trade Perkins.
    Now that we have some pitching having a really great closer is more important to the Twins than it has been since 2010.

Nonetheless, if Burch Smith is available I would listen very carefully to the Padres.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Berardino says the Padres are in the market for a lefty reliever and could move a young starter, suggesting Burch Smith.

https://twitter.com/MikeBerardino/st...81322323664896

Honestly, I didn't know of this guy but sign me up:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=smith-003bur

If the stuff translates remotely closely to his numbers, he looks like he has plenty of upside. Which lefty does Berardino think the Twins could use to get a guy like this? Duensing? Thielbar? Diamond? I'd be fine moving any of them, in fact I find it hard to believe those three have that kind of trade value. I can't imagine he's thinking of Perkins.
    While Burch is avalible apperently so is there #5 prospect Wisler, If Perkins is involved we need to package him for both AA pitchers

Liked 58 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    As for Deduno, I guess he deserves his spot but i don't think he's a good ML pitcher and I think he'll lose his rotation spot fairly early next year.
    Due to his shoulder problems or lack of talent? It would be a shame if he goes from arguably the best pitcher on the team to not being good enough to pitch in the major leagues over the off season, unless it's due to health reasons.

Liked 58 Times in 38 Posts
    In terms of what is next for the Twins, I can see them going after another starting pitcher and / or a position player. They definitely aren't done yet.

Defensively, the Twins should be rock solid up the middle. Florimon and Dozier will build upon what they had last year and Mauer will definitely hold it down at first. 3rd base on the other hand should be the same old song and dance unless the Twins find someone else who is better defensively. It looks like Plouffe will be given another opportunity though. If he starts cranking home runs again, there won't be too many people complaining about his defense.

It's really hard to say what's going to happen with the outfield. The Twins could cover a lot of ground out there if they used Hicks, Mastro, and Pressly, but I don't think that's how it will unfold. Willingham, Arcia, Parmelee, and Doumit etc.. will be utilized I'm sure.

Speaking of Hicks, I don't think anybody should be giving up on him at all. He wasn't very consistent last year, but you could tell just by watching him play that he has all of the tools to be a very well rounded MLB outfielder. It'll probably just take some time, then hopefully one day it will all just click, similarly to the way it did with Ben Revere.

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins have one signing up their sleeve and maybe a trade as well. I'll stay optimistic and say they sign Arroyo and make a trade for Brett Anderson. (Although signing Pelfrey and trading for Burch Smith would be a good "consolation")

A 2014 rotation of:
    1. Nolasco
    2. Arroyo
    3. Anderson
    4. Hughes
    5. Deduno

Looks mighty fine to me. I'd also like to see them pick up a veteran catcher (via trade - I'm not enamored with Buck). Otherwise I think the Twins are in decent shape heading into 2014. Will they contend? Who knows, but they'll certainly be more watchable - and that's all I'm asking for from this offseason.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    I don't think TR is interested in trading Perkins. Perkins signed his contract with a hometown discount based on staying in Minnesota. I think there is an under the table agreement there that they wouldn't trade him based on that deal. Maybe if the right deal came around and TR got the OK from Glenn they would do a deal but I don't see the honor bound TR trading him. Granted they did it to Span but I think there is something different about Perkins since he grew up and lives in Minnesota. I would be very surprised if they traded him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reider View Post
    Due to his shoulder problems or lack of talent? It would be a shame if he goes from arguably the best pitcher on the team to not being good enough to pitch in the major leagues over the off season, unless it's due to health reasons.
    Diamond did that the year before. I don't think Deduno is good enough to make 20+ starts. I hope I'm wrong.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iTwins View Post
    I think the Twins have one signing up their sleeve and maybe a trade as well. I'll stay optimistic and say they sign Arroyo and make a trade for Brett Anderson. (Although signing Pelfrey and trading for Burch Smith would be a good "consolation")

A 2014 rotation of:
    1. Nolasco
    2. Arroyo
    3. Anderson
    4. Hughes
    5. Deduno

Looks mighty fine to me. I'd also like to see them pick up a veteran catcher (via trade - I'm not enamored with Buck). Otherwise I think the Twins are in decent shape heading into 2014. Will they contend? Who knows, but they'll certainly be more watchable - and that's all I'm asking for from this offseason.
    That rotation would definitely be an improvement, but I just cannot see Deduno getting the nod over Gibson, nor do I see the Twins eating the 5M they gave KC to pitch this year. For that reason, I doubt they sign Arroyo. I could still see a trade for Anderson if Beane does indeed want to sell low, but I think the rotation will be:

Nolasco
    Hughes
    KC
    Gibson
    Deduno/Worley/Darnell/Diamond

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    I don't think TR is interested in trading Perkins. Perkins signed his contract with a hometown discount based on staying in Minnesota. I think there is an under the table agreement there that they wouldn't trade him based on that deal. Maybe if the right deal came around and TR got the OK from Glenn they would do a deal but I don't see the honor bound TR trading him. Granted they did it to Span but I think there is something different about Perkins since he grew up and lives in Minnesota. I would be very surprised if they traded him.
    Perkins wasn't the closer when he signed that contract, though if I remember right, the option was there. It was good value as a reliever, but hardly a steal. I tend to think that you trade Perkins if you get good value. If Boston offered Rayunado or Webster for him, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Closers can be replaced much easer than top of the rotation starting talent can be found.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12