Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Hughes on his decision to sign with the Twins

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Gets even better, here is this tweet from Mike Berardino.

No wonder Hughes looked kinda stressed in that presser... Plus this speaks volumes for the First Scout.
    First Scout? I have heard this twice now. Here and about Kris Johnson. What/who is First Scout?

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    First Scout? I have heard this twice now. Here and about Kris Johnson. What/who is First Scout?
    That's what I call Ryan, same way I call Gardenhire the "manager of the millennium".
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Blog Entries
    That's what I call Ryan, same way I call Gardenhire the "manager of the millennium".
    Now that I get who you were talking about, do you care to elaborate on TR not talking to him. Do you like this? Do you think he slacked?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I thought he sounded more confident in his one-on-one interview on FSN than in the presser itself (but the questions were pretty much re-runs).

And yes, its a shocker that TR never met/talked to him before today.
    this makes perfect sense. Last off season, Terry met with every free agent personally and couldn't give the money away. He learned something. Don't meet with them until they accept the money.

Terry is no fool. What ever it takes to win.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now that I get who you were talking about, do you care to elaborate on TR not talking to him. Do you like this? Do you think he slacked?
    Let me put this on other terms: You get a new job to a new company on a Monday. All the negotiations and agreements have been made between your headhunter and their HR people. On Friday there is a press release that you are hired and your first day at the job. That is the first day you meet your boss. What does that say?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    That is the first day you meet your boss. What does that say?
    Terry is not the warm and fuzzy kind of boss that you run up to and give a hug.

Makes perfect sense.

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    “Right from the get go, they were the most aggressive team. The overall fit – the ballpark, the city, pretty much everything about it – just seemed right.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2meZqWUgQ

Blog Entries
    Let me put this on other terms: You get a new job to a new company on a Monday. All the negotiations and agreements have been made between your headhunter and their HR people. On Friday there is a press release that you are hired and your first day at the job. That is the first day you meet your boss. What does that say?
    I see your point; however, there is also an agent in play that does all the work for him. Think of it like a hiring agency. The company manager goes to HR and tells them to hire another worker. They, in-turn, call up hiring agencies and ask what they have. The agency then calls the client and lets them know that they will be working at the company (pending physical and drug test).

Liked 357 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    this makes perfect sense. Last off season, Terry met with every free agent personally and couldn't give the money away. He learned something. Don't meet with them until they accept the money.

Terry is no fool. What ever it takes to win.
    LOL. It was surprising to me because Hughes has been around the game for a fair amount of time and the Twins had been interested in him previously.

It wasn't just that they hadn't met recently. It was that they had never spoken before:

• Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino
      First time Terry Ryan ever spoke with Phil Hughes was today, the day he signed him for $24 million over 3 yrs. Not even a prior phone call.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    I would call it trolling personally.

As for Ryan, I'm sure they didn't talk personally because the Twins came after him hard through his agent, he liked the fit, and there was no reason to talk personally. Both sides wanted it done so the business side of things completed the deal.

So I'm not sure I find it that odd or an indictment of Ryan, it just shows what an aggressive approach that exceeds the competition (in this case, in our willingness to go three years) really does trump all that other stuff.

11. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Joe A. Preusser (12-05-2013)

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That is the first day you meet your boss. What does that say?
    That Gardy will be your actual boss (with Rick Anderson as the project leader), and his boss isn't who you'll interact with much ?

That "major league baseball player" isn't a job you find via craigslist?

That your job involves people skills to a much smaller degree than most?

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
    Plus there is much less need for an interview.

It's not like I have a ERA+, K/9in, and hours of video of me doing my job

14. These 2 users like amjgt's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-05-2013), Joe A. Preusser (12-05-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 336 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I would call it trolling personally.

As for Ryan, I'm sure they didn't talk personally because the Twins came after him hard through his agent, he liked the fit, and there was no reason to talk personally. Both sides wanted it done so the business side of things completed the deal.

So I'm not sure I find it that odd or an indictment of Ryan, it just shows what an aggressive approach that exceeds the competition (in this case, in our willingness to go three years) really does trump all that other stuff.
    The main indictment hanging over this offseason is of those Twins fans in their current state of Transient Global Amnesia regarding their past blind defense and creative excuse-making concerning the 3 year debacle of a Twins organization and ownership readily unwilling and/or in denial on the need to aggressively address their systemic personnel needs. Had more of these fans joined the rest of us in demanding that Pohlad, et al, be held accountable after Year One of the Debacle, it's now fairly obvious that what's currently happening this offseason could have been put in place in the fall of 2011, or 2012. The only thing aggressive about the Twins' approach until this offseason was in how much they could cut payroll- and many praised their "prudency". The rebuild could have been a more proactive revamp/reload/sign-and-flip process, instead, putting the Twins 2 years closer to a return to relevancy. I think the organization has finally gotten the message- better late than never- and no thanks to complacent and complicit ticket-buying fans- there are other organizational models that have demonstrated that sitting on your hands and dumpster diving is less prudent than spending available monies on acquiring actual talent on reasonable terms.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-05-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

It's the Fan's Fault?

Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    The main indictment hanging over this offseason is of those Twins fans in their current state of Transient Global Amnesia regarding their past blind defense and creative excuse-making concerning the 3 year debacle of a Twins organization and ownership readily unwilling and/or in denial on the need to aggressively address their systemic personnel needs. Had more of these fans joined the rest of us in demanding that Pohlad, et al, be held accountable after Year One of the Debacle, it's now fairly obvious that what's currently happening this offseason could have been put in place in the fall of 2011, or 2012. The only thing aggressive about the Twins' approach until this offseason was in how much they could cut payroll- and many praised their "prudency". The rebuild could have been a more proactive revamp/reload/sign-and-flip process, instead, putting the Twins 2 years closer to a return to relevancy. I think the organization has finally gotten the message- better late than never- and no thanks to complacent and complicit ticket-buying fans- there are other organizational models that have demonstrated that sitting on your hands and dumpster diving is less prudent than spending available monies on acquiring actual talent on reasonable terms.
    You're not serious are you?
    Last edited by howieramone; 12-05-2013 at 11:55 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    That Gardy will be your actual boss (with Rick Anderson as the project leader), and his boss isn't who you'll interact with much ?

That "major league baseball player" isn't a job you find via craigslist?

That your job involves people skills to a much smaller degree than most?
    Isn't there a middle ground between your astute points and Thry's abolutism on the matter? I would hope that the "Twins Way" has already involved Gardy/Andy and multiple team leaders privately and publicly welcoming Hughes aboard an organization taking a big bounce off of Rock Bottom. This is the biggest "feel good" offseason week for the club since Mauer was extended. Can't celebration of the biggest and then second biggest contract in Twins history invoke, you know, more of a celebratory tone and less of a shotgun wedding vibe?
    Last edited by jokin; 12-05-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    You're not serious are you?
    Nowhere in my comment did I say it was "the fans fault", just that the enabling of an organization sorely in need of a change in philosophy reflecting the fact that we've been in the 21st Century for 13 years already certainly hasn't been of any help.

But having said that, go to Boston, Philadelphia and New York and ask that question after they have just One down year. How many games have you attended the last 3 years with myriad moments of futility....ineptitude.....and head-pounding, face-palming incompetence....and yet almost all of it blithely accepted by a good majority of the buying public? I trust you're not one of those still afflicted by TGA.

It was pretty obvious that Jim Pohlad finally felt enough heat about being personally embarrassed from fan feedback, plus an accelerating hemorrhaging of declined season ticket renewals, that he had to acknowledge the status quo Twins Way of doing things was no longer acceptable. Good for him, good for the fans.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-05-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    Can't celebration of the biggest and then second biggest contract in Twins history invoke, you know, more of a celebratory tone and less of a shotgun wedding vibe?
    That WAS Terry Ryan celebrating. He just forgets to tell his face, whose default mode is Extreme Earnestness.

36650-Grumpy-Cat-I-AM-SMILING-ZMuP.jpeg

20. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (12-06-2013)

Blog Entries
    But less flippantly, Ryan has kind of a narrow line to tread. Most of the season ticket base, and the fanbase in general, can't be sold on xFIP or park factors that easily. He wants to proudly announce the acquisition of a solid youngish pitcher, but that pitcher racked up an unsightly 4-14 record with a 5+ ERA this year. I think that accounts for what we were seeing from him today.

22. This user likes ashburyjohn's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

jokin (12-06-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    But less flippantly, Ryan has kind of a narrow line to tread. Most of the season ticket base, and the fanbase in general, can't be sold on xFIP or park factors that easily. He wants to proudly announce the acquisition of a solid youngish pitcher, but that pitcher racked up an unsightly 4-14 record with a 5+ ERA this year. I think that accounts for what we were seeing from him today.
    As long he didn't say "better than his numbers indicated", I'm happy with that.

24. This user likes jokin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (12-06-2013)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Nowhere in my comment did I say it was "the fans fault", just that the enabling of an organization sorely in need of a change in philosophy reflecting the fact that we've been in the 21st Century for 13 years already certainly hasn't been of any help.

But having said that, go to Boston, Philadelphia and New York and ask that question after they have just One down year. How many games have you attended the last 3 years with myriad moments of futility....ineptitude.....and head-pounding, face-palming incompetence....and yet almost all of it blithely accepted by a good majority of the buying public? I trust you're not one of those still afflicted by TGA.

It was pretty obvious that Jim Pohlad finally felt enough heat about being personally embarrassed from fan feedback, plus an accelerating hemorrhaging of declined season ticket renewals, that he had to acknowledge the status quo Twins Way of doing things was no longer acceptable. Good for him, good for the fans.
    1. The main indictment is of those Twins fans regarding their past blind defense and creative excuse making....

2. Had more of these fans joined the rest of us....

3. no thanks to complacent or complicit ticket buying fans...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast