Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salty will sign with the Marlins

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Salty will sign with the Marlins

3 years for 21 million. what does that mean for the Twins? Do we just sit tight and see how our current crop of catchers plays out or do we work a trade?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Suzuki and Arencebia look to be the best veteran prospects. I find it interesting how much Hanigan is going to get from the Rays. Good defensive catchers must be scarce as hen's teeth.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 332 Times in 162 Posts
    OK price for a young decent catcher.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 59 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With the numbers thrown around earlier, I am surprised that Salty didnt get more. I expected at least a 3/27 or 30 for him.

Buck is also available to catch and really all the Twins need is someone who can catch 80 -100 games and Pinto can do the rest as far as Catching goes.

Hopefully the Twins can now go out and sign a bat that can DH/3B such as Young or Reynolds and get another quality starter too.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    I think John Buck will get a look. He's slightly better defensively than Arencibia and just as streaky with the bat. In small doses, I think he'd make a fine backup. Plus we could add a goalie style masked catcher to the roster! Wonder if that affects concussions at all?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    With the numbers thrown around earlier, I am surprised that Salty didnt get more. I expected at least a 3/27 or 30 for him.

Buck is also available to catch and really all the Twins need is someone who can catch 80 -100 games and Pinto can do the rest as far as Catching goes.

Hopefully the Twins can now go out and sign a bat that can DH/3B such as Young or Reynolds and get another quality starter too.
    I agree, I thought Salty would get a bigger deal. After McCann he was being touted as the next best option. I guess most teams didn't see it that way.

I don't like Arencibia. I don't think he is that good defensively and he is about as good as Drew with a bat in his hands (other than the home runs of course).

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm. After seeing him go for only $7m per year, I'm a bit disappointed the Twins didn't pursue him more vigorously. That's only Josh Willingham money.

I still don't like Saltamacchia much in Target Field but his defense alone is worth several million a year.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    I wonder what the big deal was with the third year; health concerns, production concerns.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Hmmm. After seeing him go for only $7m per year, I'm a bit disappointed the Twins didn't pursue him more vigorously. That's only Josh Willingham money.

I still don't like Saltamacchia much in Target Field but his defense alone is worth several million a year.
    Yes, but that's 7 million that needs to be put at a bigger position need like the outfield.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 103 Times in 75 Posts
    Thank Goodness! The Twins didn't waste money, roster slot, or playing time on him! Happy for Saltalmacchia--but glad the Twins didn't go with him. Play Pinto! Experience in the ML is far more useful than Rochester. The FO can't boast about their MiL system and then be afraid to promote them to the Active Roster!

11. These 2 users like Kwak's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Reider (12-04-2013), twinsfan34 (12-03-2013)

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MLBTR points out the FL vs MN sales tax difference. That plus it being his home state, probably meant that Twins had to significantly outbid the Fish to get him

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    es regular aqui no es permisiblo hablo oltra idiomas?
    is it a rule here you cant speak other languages?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
    I wasn't in favor of signing him, though he is a useful player. He has a lifetime OPS of .599 against lefties and isn't the greatest defensively. There are just much bigger fish to fry considering Pinto is worth a look.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    MLBTR points out the FL vs MN sales tax difference. That plus it being his home state, probably meant that Twins had to significantly outbid the Fish to get him
    Both very good points.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 321 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Sales tax? He could come here and just do his shopping online.

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Both very good points.
    Minnesota State Income Tax bracket for Salty, 9.85%. so roughly 10% or $700k a year.

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/indiv..._Brackets.aspx

He probably won't be playing in Florida long. Marlins Owner, Laria, has turrets, he hits the trade button often and randomly.

I'm just glad the Twins didn't sign him. So glad.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 165 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye12 View Post
    I think John Buck will get a look. He's slightly better defensively than Arencibia and just as streaky with the bat. In small doses, I think he'd make a fine backup. Plus we could add a goalie style masked catcher to the roster! Wonder if that affects concussions at all?
    We need to pass on Buck. He is a very poor receiver. While Doumit had poorer framing numbers per game, Buck gave up the most runs due to pitch framimg in 2013. He was also near the bottom in 2009, 2010 and 2011. His below average 2012 was his best year.

Good defensive catchers are changing teams quickly. It will take a team like the a Twins to give Buck another shot.

Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I'm not mistaken, John Buck was Nolasco's catcher in 2011 (with FLA).

One of Nolasco's worst years...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...olasri01.shtml

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
    I think Suzuki is undervalued. He's excellent behind the plate, and when he's right, he's a decent gap hitter at the plate. He went through some nasty injury stuff the last two years and kept playing, to the detriment of his offensive stats, but he's still young (by catcher standards). He could be a solid play for the Twins.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 165 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I really think that Suzuki would be signed if he were excellent or even above average behind the plate.

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

Catchers who are good framers help keep runners off the base in two ways. They get more strikes and with the bigger strike zone, batters have to swing at pitches on the edges. Good framers in the news changing teams today. Poor framers seeking jobs.

Teams don't agree on the impact of this data. The Twins appear to be on the side that it has little impact on their pitching and runs scored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast