Thread: The worst contract I've ever seen

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts

The worst contract I've ever seen

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,831 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Oy ... thank God that wasn't our signing.

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    I thought it would be the Joe Mauer contract.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Blackburn? Capps? Pavano?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As my dad has said many times, "there's a sucker born every day."

Ya, almost 22mil a year for a 30 year old oft-injured speed guy seems like a poor use of funds. It's funny because of all the gnashing of teeth from Sox fans, though.

The article says they're still trying to retain Cano, but this move makes me doubtful. The way Cano and his camp have operated so far, I can't imagine they'll take this news lightly. Just earlier today there was a report that Cano and the Yankees were far apart and I don't think this kind of signing is going to help matters. He's gonna take a reasonable (not 300 million, lol) deal somewhere else.

7. This user likes EephusKnuckler's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-03-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 534 Times in 353 Posts
    Oft injured? He is the safest FA this year, though seven years is one more than I would have done.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It could be a little bit of addition by subtraction too. Helps Yankees, hurts Red Sox. Maybe why they were more willing to go after Ellsbury and for as much as they did.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 12-03-2013 at 10:40 PM.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Looks like they are spending there savings on A-RODs contract.
    Im guessing they will sign another player or 2 who have
    draft pick compensations attached to them, as of now the Yankees lost 2 picks

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Basically, you're paying $22M for Kenny Lofton. No way would I do that.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ooffda! Man this contract is bad.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Ellsbury's average out 5ish wins(even with missing significant time to injury) over the past 3 years, 22 million per is not that bad of deal. Speed guys tend to age well offensively as well so that helps even if he has to move from center in the later half of this contract. I personally see this turning out like Torii Hunter's deal with the Angels, viewed as an overpay at the start but ends up being something close to market value.

14. This user likes iastfan112's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

h2oface (12-04-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Speed guys do not age well offensively.

Anyway, Ellsbury is definitely worth a lot of money, but I would really like to see the second best offer to him. 6/100 seems on target. This is really out there.

I kind of wonder these deals for seven years is like deferred contract instead paying it like in 5 year deal they do 7 years and money paid out at end after inflation is not what it would have been if they paid dollar value out in 5 or 4 year deal. I it gives them control of that player if they do age out better than they anticipated for extended years. Also the last years of the contract I have seen where they trade the Player and pay excess of salary to another team and they move on to another player. Remember in Money Ball when Billy Bean tells David Justice he's only paying so much he's worth now and Yankees are paying rest of his salary. I think this is how Yankees approach these deals they are always playing to win now and if they do win its makes franchise worth more and continually increases revenue to continue to pay these salaries. Inflation and continued growth covers what they overpay and value of Yankees just keeps increasing because of this and strokes ownership ego's in that their always considered a winner. That's big difference between baseball and football where they all teams share revenue and work under salary cap spent on players you don't get this big difference on how teams spend on players all are pretty much equal.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Speed guys do not age well offensively.

Anyway, Ellsbury is definitely worth a lot of money, but I would really like to see the second best offer to him. 6/100 seems on target. This is really out there.
    http://www.insidethebook.com/ee/inde...ed_age_better/
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-s...y-outfielders/

Now obviously Ellsbury could bust but the athleticism speed players possess tend to make them age pretty gracefully.

18. These 2 users like iastfan112's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

markos (12-04-2013), YourHouseIsMyHouse (12-04-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    Yeah this isn't a horrible deal... contracts worse than this happen all the time. In a vacuum it's an overpay, but the Yankees aren't in a vacuum- there is a lot of pressure on the organization and it's dealing with uncertainty (e.g., A-Rod & Cano). They wanted to add a very good player quickly, and did so.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Oft injured? He is the safest FA this year, though seven years is one more than I would have done.
    He has played 4 full or close to full season and the other two seasons he played a combined 92 games. (not counting his 2007 season when he was first brought up) I would not stick that much money for a guy who has played a full season every other year. Plus, if that every other holds that means 4 hurt years and 3 healthy in this contract. (sarcasm) Anyway, what makes you say he is the safest free agent?

21. These 2 users like MichiganTwins's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

gunnarthor (12-04-2013), YourHouseIsMyHouse (12-04-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 534 Times in 353 Posts
    What makes a contract bad?

1. The money could be used better elsewhere, but remember, you can only have 24 guys.

2. The money keeps them from signing another player. We know, probably, this is not the case for the Yankees.

3. The team keeps playing a player that is bad because he makes money. No idea if this will happen if Jacoby becomes bad or not.

Is he worth that much to a team where the money creates opportunity costs? I think that is debatable, but for the Yankees? It creats no opportunity cost at all probably.

Not all wins are equal, and not all payroll situations are equal. He's one of the best players in baseball the last few years. If he gets them over the top and in the playoffs, that's worth a lot to them.

the Yankees were 16th in runs scored last year. It is easier to fix that in FA than it is to fix pitching.

In a vacuum, for other teams, it might or might not be a good deal. For a team that really does not have budget constraints, I don't get how this can be considered a bad deal.
    Lighten up Francis....

How do you like that ... Mike and I agree. This is not such a bad deal if you are the Yankees. We won't really know for seven years. Recent history would suggest these 7+ year deals are likely to fail more than they succeed. How bad an idea this is would depend on the teams relative ability to absorb the contract.
    Last edited by Major Leauge Ready; 12-04-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,510 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This news might be better than the Nolasco and Hughes signings combined.

Yes, I hate the Yankees that much. I love seeing them do something so monumentally stupid that no one can believe it.

25. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oldgoat_MN (12-04-2013)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast