Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The worst contract I've ever seen

Liked 147 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    This news might be better than the Nolasco and Hughes signings combined.

Yes, I hate the Yankees that much. I love seeing them do something so monumentally stupid that no one can believe it.
    I hope you're right. My guess is it ends up being a marginal overpay, not monumentally stupid. Their roster has a lot of opportunities for disaster and not a lot of payroll flexibility left, even if they are the Yankees. I hope Cano leaves and they crash and burn in spectacular style.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 566 Times in 370 Posts
    How is it an overpay, if it does not stop the Yankees from signing other players? As long as they are willing to keep spending, it doesn't matter if they pay $5 for a win, or $100MM for a win.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Isn't the dumbest part of this that they are balking at Cano's price (33% more) and turned around and handed this out? If you're going to splurge and overpay, why not do it for an actual elite talent?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,605 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Isn't the dumbest part of this that they are balking at Cano's price (33% more) and turned around and handed this out? If you're going to splurge and overpay, why not do it for an actual elite talent?
    The first question I asked upon hearing about this deal.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    The Jayson Werth contract and the Vernon Wells contract were worse and perhaps the Matt Kemp contract. Of the top 10 OF contracts for money 6 of the players were traded and the Reds tried to trade Griffey.
    Nah, the Kemp contract isn't this bad if only because the Dodgers signed him through his age 27-34 seasons.

A pretty dumb contract but not historically so.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Yankees poached the BPA from their biggest rival. Its a smart move IMO

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    He's an up the middle guy with a marginal bat outside of the 2011 season, he has marginal plate discipline, and lives and dies by his legs.

In short, he's not a guy you want to give a seven year contract. Sure, he might be Rickey Henderson... But we've seen exactly one Rickey Henderson since 1920. Odds are against the guy thriving through his late 30s.

It's not about seeing the future, it's playing the odds and using player models to your advantage to minimize risk. And all things point to Jacoby Ellsbury declining quite rapidly. Hell, he hasn't been a great player since 2011 (and it should also be noted that was the only season he was a great player).

Ignore what appears to be a flukish 2011 and Ellsbury is basically Michael Bourn at three times the price. I'm not sure how anyone would consider that a good deal.
    Lucky you don't work for the Yankees or you'd be walking out the door with your stuff in a cardboard box.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Lucky you don't work for the Yankees or you'd be walking out the door with your stuff in a cardboard box.
    Given the amount of championships they've won in the past decade compared to the money they've spent, a lot of people should be walking out the door with their stuff in cardboard boxes. This signing only reinforces that.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I tend to agree with Seabiscuit. Votto is hitting. Fielder, the guy hasn't missed a game. Detroit is tougher on LHB. I think he'll do fine in Texas. He's never been injured in any form.

Pujols had foot surgery, oblique issues, and shoulder issues. He tried to play through them. He had the surgery. I don't think he's done. I think he can hit til he's 37/38 at .300 30 100 level. I can be wrong of course. I just don't see his skills diminishing that much when healthy. He's too disciplined/hard worker to not.

I would agree with the rest of your list though.

Maybe Verlander, like Clemens sans the steroids, will have a 2nd wing after 30 to his career.
    I don't think you guys appreciate just how long these contracts are for. It's possible to play at a decent level until you are 40+ but that is the exception. And just to be clear I don't think any of these 3 players are done. It's just that Pujols and Votto still have 4+ yrs until they hit the 2nd half of the contract.

And Pujols days of hitting .300 are over. Maybe he has one more .300 season but he won't he even average close to that over the next 8 years.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 464 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thetank View Post
    The Jayson Werth contract and the Vernon Wells contract were worse and perhaps the Matt Kemp contract. Of the top 10 OF contracts for money 6 of the players were traded and the Reds tried to trade Griffey.
    Those were not for this many years at this age. That's the issue. i could see paying him $17 mil for four years. Not $22 mil for seven. They're almost guaranteed to throw the last three years and $66 mil down a rat hole.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Yankee's based on 189 million for payroll if they have 30 million tied up for fill in players for pitching and infield they can have 8 other contracts at 20 million average. This 189 million is self imposed limit to not pay luxury tax and I believe if they can get down under it again for year it reduces tax also if they exceed again. I think they have been paying 40 percent rate on their payroll so if they have been at 200 million plus the tax they have been used to paying a payroll of 280 million. What they can spend on players puts them in another league than what most of other clubs in baseball can spend. Only Dodgers, Angels, and maybe Texas can spend close to these levels. They have spending level double to triple what the Twins have paid. Like said before this is contract that makes better right now and they don't worry about out end. They need to win to keep their tv and attendance up if they don't loss revenue from that will far exceed the amount of loss they could have on this contract. Its ridicules but that's how baseball is structured they want these dominant franchises for selling baseball to tv. Smaller franchises worry about tv too but they need sell their product to get people to ballpark create their largest stream of revenue to the team fans that come to park and buy whole experience when there.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries

Pujols contract

Quote Originally Posted by 2wins87 View Post
    This is a bad contract. I don't think it looks worse than Pujols contract does right now.

Of course, no one expected that the Pujols contract would look this bad two years after the fact. Pretty much everyone expects this contract to look bad two years from now.
    Pujols has had a tear in his elbow for several years now. He has bone spurs there. He has had feet problems for x number of years now. Some think he is older than his reported age.

Shouldn't have been signed for more than 5 years. The Cardina;s are thankful now he didn't sign after making a big offer at the last minute.

This newest Elsbury contract will be another disaster.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123