Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trevor Plouffe

Trevor Plouffe

Assuming Miguel Sano's arm is healthy and he has a very productive couple months in AAA(or wherever):

Does anyone see Trevor Plouffe playing well enough to be someone we could sell high on in July or move to a corner OF spot? He is in a situation we haven't seen in quite a while, probably since AJ had Mauer on his heels. AJ had a nice career(much better than plouffe) with the Twins and was able to fetch a handsome reward as we all remember. Could Poof! put up big enough numbers in the first half while he plays for a job that he has no chance of keeping?

In a way, it's almost like a contract year for Plouffe. If he stinks, he will lose 3B job, be relegated to a bench role for remainder of season, likely be non-tendered and then potentially be searching for a team willing to take him on as a bench player/platoon partner.

2014 might be the most important season of Plouffe's career, what say you? Have we seen the best of Plouffe?

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've stated my feelings on Plouffe multiple times.

I think he could be a very important part of the Twins even after Sano arrives... But... It's up to Trevor.

He either gets engaged with every pitch of every game defensively and offensively or Sano runs him over and sends his career into a tailspin.

2014 is huge for Trevor. I think the Twins will give him every chance to build up his trade value... Meaning every day job for display purposes.

Myself... I'd up the heat on him... I'd be searching for a 3B who can pressure him to start the season. Making sure that Plouffe understands that he doesn't have an every day job by default.

Someone like Bonofacio in a trade or Chris Nelson since he's available. Someone who can play another position when Sano arrives.

Plouffe can have an every day job if he earns it. No more of this default stuff.

He has 30 HR potential... I don't want to throw him away. I'm sure he puts effort in the cage... In the film room... I'm sure he listens to Gardy, Bruno and the coaches... So I'm sure he is working hard off the field... I'm sure he will tell anyone that he really really wants to win.

But... He's not working hard ON the field.

In my Opinion of course.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

3. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (12-04-2013)

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Plouffe needs to be in a platoon, that's his future.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Plouffe needs to be in a platoon, that's his future.
    Like, as in the Army?? I'm not sure he is cut out for that.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Like, as in the Army?? I'm not sure he is cut out for that.
    no like the movie...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 94 Times in 56 Posts
    For the last couple of years I've wanted Plouffe gone. But he stays. So he'll probably be here again this spring. I'd really like to see us sign someone to compete at least for 3rd base and put the pressure on Trevor. I doubt he's got much trade value now, and I fear it will be even less in July. Selling high has come and gone. My the life of me I just can't see Plouffe in a major league uniform, and it'll be hard to watch again next season.

8. This user likes Halsey Hall's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (12-03-2013)

Is anybody else concerned about Brunansky as a hitting coach? I really didn't see any improvement in Twins hitters last year aside from more strikeouts and more homeruns which suggest we're swinging for more power but we also had fewer RBI and BA, OPS were both down from the Vavra era...

10. This user likes Hartzy34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-04-2013)

Let's fire Bruno and hire Hrbek. just kidding

His fishing show is done, maybe he could use a job... I was actually thinking we need a more pure hitter like Carew, Molitor or Oliva

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Erik Chavez, left handed hitter, 6 gold gloves to his name ? and is spanish speaking so could be a mentor to Sano

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    Trade Plouffe and a prospect to the Pads for Chase Headley. One year of Headley until Sano is ready and a draft pick when he leaves. Never happen, I'm being silly now!

However I have little sense Plouffe will figure it out. He isn't good at anything except for about a 2 week period in 2012, when he was on fire, his power numbers aren't even very good.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Call me a sucker, but I still have some faith in the guy. If you look at his stats, he was batting .269 as late as July 4th, and that was with a pretty ugly April (.217). He has the second highest line drive rate on the team behind Mauer. He's a dead pull power hitter, but I saw him hit some line drives oppo last year. Unfortunately, they all seemed to go straight to the right fielder. His fielding % went from .935 to .956 from 2012 to 2013. He went from 17 errors in 804 innings in 2012 to 13 in 1035 in 2013. Better, yeah?

Look, the guy is improving. Is it as fast as we would like? Obviously not. He's very streaky and thrives on confidence. I think all he needs is someone to click with and have some fun playing ball with. When the team starts tanking at the end of the year, he does too. Personally, I'd rather have him get a 1st baseman's glove and turn into Cuddyer. Hopefully he bats well enough to start every day, but he can always spell Mauer, Sano, or an outfielder. Maybe even grab an outfield spot if he hits well. Just don't give up on the guy. Wait for him to stop improving first.

16. These 2 users like VandyTwinsFan's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

AJOHN (12-04-2013), lecroy24fan (12-05-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    I think Plouffe "has a rabbi" in the Twins organization, and he will be extended every possibility to succeed. Sano being promoted to the Twins and sticking in 2014 is not cast in steel. Quite likely the Twins will keep Plouffe (unless they receive a handsome offer in a trade) as "Hicks insurance". My read of the tea leaves is that the Twins management believed they "got burned" by placing trust in their newly promoted players. promotions will be delayed and veterans will be retained to buttress every newly promoted player to the Active Roster.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    To get Headley for Plouffe, the prospect would probably have to be someone like Rosario.

So, no thanks.

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
    Chavez would be a great move in my opinion but I think they are going to just roll with Plouffe until Sano gets here. Plouffe has the potential to be a valuable piece but it isn't as an everyday 3b, his ceiling is Cuddy-lite moving around the corners in the IF and OF and maybe some 2nd. He has pop and he demolishes lefties but gets killed in his platoon splits, and since there are more RH pitchers once he starts slumping he keeps getting a heavy dose of guys he can't hit well. At the end of the year however he was looking a little better vs righties going the other way a bit, but sacrificed most of his power. If he can do that in limited exposure to them and still own lefties he could be a good piece to have.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is probably the last year for Plouffe and Parmelee for that matter to prove something. Both have teased with the bat and both need to break out. Plouffe won't have a position next year at this time (baring injury) so he's going to have to hit well enough for the Twins to find him one. DH is still open from a "next wave" standpoint and they may still need a corner OF if Hicks or Arcia flop, so I'd say that this is make or break. If he hits, the worst case is that he's a DH (and given his defense that might not be a bad option). The same is true with Parmelee. If they both hit, I'd say one of them or Hicks can be traded for something nice. If neither hit, the team will likely be doing some sort of platoon at DH or shopping for one.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 134 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I won't shed tears if Plouffe is benched, traded, or becomes an extra player. However, I can't see adding an Eric Chavez. Having two guys playing one position is tough to do in the era of 12-man pitching staffs. A pure platoon means the younger player, who the Twins can control for three more years would start between and quarter and a third of the time. I want Sano to be the Twins 3B sometime in 2014. I want Plouffe to build enough value to net something good in a trade or to merit being reassigned as a poor-fielding corner OF or DH. Chavez was a good player with an extensive injury history. He turns 36 in less than a week. I doubt his health over the course of a year. In a different situation, Chavez could be a nice pickup, but not with Sano just around the corner.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this point Plouffe is simply a role player holding down 3b for Sano. Guys like him are still valuable on teams. He has position flexibility with some power. I see him staying with the Twins for several more years until they have better options coming up.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stringer bell View Post
    I won't shed tears if Plouffe is benched, traded, or becomes an extra player. However, I can't see adding an Eric Chavez. Having two guys playing one position is tough to do in the era of 12-man pitching staffs. A pure platoon means the younger player, who the Twins can control for three more years would start between and quarter and a third of the time. I want Sano to be the Twins 3B sometime in 2014. I want Plouffe to build enough value to net something good in a trade or to merit being reassigned as a poor-fielding corner OF or DH. Chavez was a good player with an extensive injury history. He turns 36 in less than a week. I doubt his health over the course of a year. In a different situation, Chavez could be a nice pickup, but not with Sano just around the corner.
    So when Sano arrives he will start 162 games a year, he wont struggle ?
    Having a veteran presence would only help the kid, someone he could talk to , yes thats what we have coaches for , and with adding Paul it should help,but last year it took our infield coach 140 games to figure out Trevor was playing to deep on most pitches

I don't think Plouffe will be around much longer his contract this year will be 2 million and probably heading higher next year. For the Twins to keep him he needs continue improve in his defense and hitting. Statistically he has shown improvement but what doesn't show up is his poor at bats that he gave away by not working pitcher to favorable hitting situation but swinging freely until he dug whole for himself. Same thing in his fielding he can make a great play and then he gets beat by either being out position or not making correct decision on what to do with ball. I think Twins have given ample opportunity to prove himself and I believe this make or break year for him for the Twins and if he's going to significant baseball career. I get feeling he can get cocky when he's one his streaks and forgets he needs to keep doing all little things and he doesn't need to do that because he's star. If he grows up and learns to be professional all the time playing baseball he could have very good career in baseball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast