Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: I like Phil Hughes

Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Really a well-written article, Brad. Nice work.

3. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brad Swanson (12-03-2013)

I hope there's no truth to the rumor he wants to wear #34.

Anybody heard anything about the puckett number rumor?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have to admit that I did not think that the Twins would make these moves and I am not certain that they are the right ones. We simply are not a good team even adding these two guys. IS there value in searching for mediocrity? Would we be better off being BAD for another year or two, putting in our young players to develop together, AND THEN filling in the blanks with a couple of free agent signings like this?

Sorry, but it is really sad that our ownership has made it really exciting that we just might, if everything goes well, win 75-80 games.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Puckett's number is retired.

I doubt he had any interest in the number.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/min/h...ed_numbers.jsp

I bet he sticks with his #65 or goes with his HS #45.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 12-03-2013 at 11:24 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mlhouse View Post
    We simply are not a good team even adding these two guys. IS there value in searching for mediocrity? Would we be better off being BAD for another year or two, putting in our young players to develop together, AND THEN filling in the blanks with a couple of free agent signings like this?
    Every bad team could say this every year and continue to be bad in perpetuity. At some point, you have to start making the team better because it's not going to happen in one offseason. Pick up one or two pieces every offseason for 2-3 years and hopefully right around the time the youngsters are ready, you're already a mediocre team and only go up from there.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Every bad team could say this every year and continue to be bad in perpetuity. At some point, you have to start making the team better because it's not going to happen in one offseason. Pick up one or two pieces every offseason for 2-3 years and hopefully right around the time the youngsters are ready, you're already a mediocre team and only go up from there.
    Exactly and this is the perfect time to make that transition. Two (or three if Meyer develops) impact talents are nearly ready, the team has the 5th overall pick this coming June and even if they finish with 75-80 wins in 2014, they'll have at least one more top 15 pick coming. Now is the time to start moving up the ladder. If they can hit that win total in 2014, add two more pieces, integrate Sano and Buxton full-time, there's no reason they can't aim for 90 wins in 2015.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Exactly and this is the perfect time to make that transition. Two (or three if Meyer develops) impact talents are nearly ready, the team has the 5th overall pick this coming June and even if they finish with 75-80 wins in 2014, they'll have at least one more top 15 pick coming. Now is the time to start moving up the ladder. If they can hit that win total in 2014, add two more pieces, integrate Sano and Buxton full-time, there's no reason they can't aim for 90 wins in 2015.
    I think the 90 win target is more like 2016 but that's just splitting hairs.

Blog Entries
    I think the 90 win target is more like 2016 but that's just splitting hairs.
    That's fair, but I still hope they aim for 90 in 2015.
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think there's also value in demonstrating to players/agents this year that the Twins are open for business when it comes to free agents. Those players/agents that hit the market in the future won't immediately dismiss the Twins without even a thought.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I think there's also value in demonstrating to players/agents this year that the Twins are open for business when it comes to free agents. Those players/agents that hit the market in the future won't immediately dismiss the Twins without even a thought.
    How much does it matter that Nolasco is a Sosnick client (Willingham, Doumit, etc.)? Part of me worries that TR made this commitment due to familiarity more than talent, and it could just be a one-time move to stabilize the rotation. The Hughes deal is a decent follow-up, I suppose, but it would be nice to see TR definitively prove he wants to consistently use FA to get good talent or even premium talent and accelerate the rebuild. Hard to do in one offseason, though, so I'm giving TR some more rope for the next couple years.

As great as the Nolasco and Hughes deals are (and believe me, I had a very happy holiday weekend thinking about them), they still represent pretty much the bare minimum offseason moves for a rotation so stupendously awful in 2012-2013.

Will be fun to finally discuss Twins FA signings on merit, though, and not just completely in terms of money saved or trainwrecks avoided.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm fine with both signings. I'm curious as to how they'll perform with the Twins, especially where Phil Hughes could potentially live up to some earlier projections.

The question I have...as maybe it's not really a feasible comparison - as I have no idea what the posting $$$ will be.

But, given that we have committed almost $20M per year over the next 3 seasons for Nolasco and Tanaka.

Would you rather had the Twins posted that $55-$70M posting fee and then paid Tanaka that money?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    How much does it matter that Nolasco is a Sosnick client (Willingham, Doumit, etc.)? Part of me worries that TR made this commitment due to familiarity more than talent, and it could just be a one-time move to stabilize the rotation. The Hughes deal is a decent follow-up, I suppose, but it would be nice to see TR definitively prove he wants to consistently use FA to get good talent or even premium talent and accelerate the rebuild. Hard to do in one offseason, though, so I'm giving TR some more rope for the next couple years.

As great as the Nolasco and Hughes deals are (and believe me, I had a very happy holiday weekend thinking about them), they still represent pretty much the bare minimum offseason moves for a rotation so stupendously awful in 2012-2013.

Will be fun to finally discuss Twins FA signings on merit, though, and not just completely in terms of money saved or trainwrecks avoided.
    I just don't see Ryan as the kind of guy who would make a deal like this due to "familiarity." I think the stars aligned. I think his talent evaluators saw things they liked in Nolasco and Hughes and then, when he checked in with Jack Goin, Jack told him those evaluations actually were backed up by some of their numbers. That may not happen often in Terry Ryan's world so when it does, you pull the trigger.

And while I don't disagree that these two deals could be considered "bare minimum" for the Twins off-season, keep in mind two things: (1) the off-season isn't even close to over, so there's quite likely going to be more additions coming, and (2) the Twins have often fallen well below our expectations for "bare minimum" moves in years past.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    I'm fine with both signings. I'm curious as to how they'll perform with the Twins, especially where Phil Hughes could potentially live up to some earlier projections.

The question I have...as maybe it's not really a feasible comparison - as I have no idea what the posting $$$ will be.

But, given that we have committed almost $20M per year over the next 3 seasons for Nolasco and Tanaka.

Would you rather had the Twins posted that $55-$70M posting fee and then paid Tanaka that money?
    No.

If Jim Pohlad came to me and said, "hey, yanno we've operated well below budget for payroll the last couple of years, feel free to spend an extra $100 million (posting fee plus contract) this year," I'd tell him thank you and then call Cano's agent. If I'm going to be allowed to risk throwing $100 million down a toilet, I'd take my chances with Cano over Tanaka.

Understand you don't get Cano for $100MM, but you could probably get him for what you might otherwise be able to afford for him PLUS that $100MM.

If I couldn't get Cano, I'd just tell Pohlad I want to use the money to remodel my office or something.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't see Ryan as the kind of guy who would make a deal like this due to "familiarity." I think the stars aligned. I think his talent evaluators saw things they liked in Nolasco and Hughes and then, when he checked in with Jack Goin, Jack told him those evaluations actually were backed up by some of their numbers. That may not happen often in Terry Ryan's world so when it does, you pull the trigger.

And while I don't disagree that these two deals could be considered "bare minimum" for the Twins off-season, keep in mind two things: (1) the off-season isn't even close to over, so there's quite likely going to be more additions coming, and (2) the Twins have often fallen well below our expectations for "bare minimum" moves in years past.
    I think you underestimate familiarity. Not saying that's the only reason TR got him, of course, but I think it's quite possible TR knew his desperate rotation needed one guy from that FA group, and the agent connection is what allowed TR to get it done with Nolasco quickly.

I think the consensus opinion is that the Twins significant FA offseason is over, right? At least for pitchers? If TR wants to prove me wrong again, I'd more than welcome it.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,259 Times in 751 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I couldn't get Cano, I'd just tell Pohlad I want to use the money to remodel my office or something.
    I'd ask if I could use it to remodel my retirement fund.

Blog Entries
    I'd use it to remodel my model fund...hey-oooooooo!

But seriously, I'd blow it all on scratch-offs.

20. This user likes Brad Swanson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (12-03-2013)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I'd use it to remodel my model fund...hey-oooooooo!

But seriously, I'd blow it all on scratch-offs.
    Pull tabs? I hear they could stand to see sales of those pick up or be forced to use folding lawn chairs in the new Vikings stadium