Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J.P. Arencibia

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

J.P. Arencibia

Convince me why signing him as the 2nd catcher would be a bad idea. Was terrible offensively last year but the previous 2 years were decent from a catcher. Right around the league average for % thrown out and was well above average in pitch framing last year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He looks to be the third best option of whats left of the free agent market. A slight downgrade from Navarro but has enough power to sign.

Administrator Double-A Twins Daily Admin's Avatar
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My general impression of him has been good, and someone pointed out that he's really good at pitch framing. I'd need to look closer at that, I guess.

But boy, does he look clueless at the plate. You would think a good catch-framer would know the value of working the count. Here are his K/BB ratios for the last three years:

2011 - 133/36 = 3.7
    2012 - 108/18 = 6
    2013 - 148/18 = 8.2

Wow. THAT is impressive. And you ate a whole wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? I'm not even mad. That's amazing.

4. This user likes Twins Daily Admin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post
    Convince me why signing him as the 2nd catcher would be a bad idea. Was terrible offensively last year but the previous 2 years were decent from a catcher. Right around the league average for % thrown out and was well above average in pitch framing last year.
    I would prefer him (assuming he is reasonable cheap) backing up Pinto over a expensive, long-term deal for Saltalamacchia.

With AJ off the market, and Salty being a pretty expensive option, Arencipia looks like he's worth a good look at.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So you're saying his cluelessness equals Drew Butera territory? I would take a flyer, he should be cheap and then we can turn our attention towards another starter, like Garza (in my dreams)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,502 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    My general impression of him has been good, and someone pointed out that he's really good at pitch framing. I'd need to look closer at that, I guess.

But boy, does he look clueless at the plate. You would think a good catch-framer would know the value of working the count. Here are his K/BB ratios for the last three years:

2011 - 133/36 = 3.7
    2012 - 108/18 = 6
    2013 - 148/18 = 8.2

Wow. THAT is impressive. And you ate a whole wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? I'm not even mad. That's amazing.
    Best use of that quote that I've seen in quite some time.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    What's his throwout %, exactly?
    Fast moving story- was just looking at his offensive numbers compared with AJ and didn't see the upside- except being cheap and young. He brings nothing to the plate.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With a career .207 average and .193 last year I doubt that will improve much. Yes he does have good power but I am not confinced that will play all that well at Target Field. I would rather they let Pinto take his lumps. Or get "salty" even tho I think he will get paid more then he is worth

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iastfan112 View Post

Herrmann is potentially better with the stick, is more versatile, has more upside, as a LHB provides complement to Pinto, and was the Twins' organization best defensive catcher according to BA.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    He's awful at his job. I don't understand why people are so afraid of giving a rookie a shot. Unless you think they'll compete next year, in which case you go sign a good catcher, not an awful one.
    Lighten up Francis....

13. This user likes mike wants wins's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

BigTrane (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTrane View Post
    What's his throwout %, exactly?
    Fast moving story- was just looking at his offensive numbers compared with AJ and didn't see the upside- except being cheap and young. He brings nothing to the plate.
    Mid to upper 20% range, right around league average. If you suspect last year was an anomaly he put up a couple seasons of .700 OPS which is respectable for a catcher. The other advantage he has over some of the other options is that unlike an AJ or Salty you he'd probably sign as backup/given chance to win the job out of ST, letting the team see if Pinto has a future here.
    Last edited by iastfan112; 12-03-2013 at 09:05 AM.

15. This user likes iastfan112's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Ok, thanks for the info!

If you suspect he's OK at the plate and no disadvantage behind it- and cheap to boot- then he's worth a look. Not like there's a lot of options now. AJ signed with Boston.
    Salty was offered 2 years, but turned it down (what I gather)- he wants 3 or 4. So for me, short term + a guy willing to platoon some is a big plus. That ain't Salty.

What about the "intangibles" like working with pitchers, framing pitches, etc?
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pass. The Blue Jays signed the fourth best catcher on the FA market so they could trade a guy with a 59 OPS+ with questionable defensive skills. He's not even worth a 40-man roster spot, which is why Toronto is trying to trade him. Fryer is a better option.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

18. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Dance with Disco Dan (12-03-2013)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    He's awful at his job. I don't understand why people are so afraid of giving a rookie a shot. Unless you think they'll compete next year, in which case you go sign a good catcher, not an awful one.
    My problem is with plan B. We heard the same about Hicks and you can recall the disaster that was our CF situation last year I'm sure.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do not see signing him as a bad move. Pinto needs a mentor for training in the art of catching.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    For Cheap and usable , Me thinks it was Baltimore who got that piece in Johnny Monell,
    Left handed catcher with decent defensive numbers and power , yes a tad old for a minor leaque catcher, but look who was blocking him....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    If the Twins sign a catcher that is that terrible offensively, then it better be for a superior defensive catcher a la one of the Molina Bros. This guy isnt even in Butera's league defensively and is similar with the bat. No thanks.

Don't be seduced by the HRs and selected defensive stats. Least season, Arencibia was an offensive blackhole of epic proportions. As mentioned above, his OPS+ was 59 with 100 denoting league average. Mauer had a terrific year and booked a 144 OPS +. So, basically, Arencibia was worse than the average catcher at about the same magnitude that Mauer was better.

His terrible .227 OBP was well earned as he only managed 18 walks in 497 PAs. Delmon Young heard about that and said, "J.P. needs to work the count."

In a recent piece, Keith Law described him as a below-average defensive catcher which, if accurate, means he is not going to save runs with his glove.

The only way adding J.P. is acceptable is if he is cut by Toronto and picked off the scrap heap. Even then, my abiding hope is that the Twins forget he exists and run with what they have or pursue other options.
    Last edited by Dance with Disco Dan; 12-03-2013 at 10:08 AM.

24. This user likes Dance with Disco Dan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-03-2013)

I agree with those who are coming to the conclusions that there are not very many outside options for the Twins at this point. Salty wants too many years and is not that highly-rated defensively (though this team will need to score more runs in order to compete); the remainder are in the mode of either Doumit (no D, reasonable O) or Butera (no O, reasonable D).

Signing any new catcher to be a primary option also blocks Pinto, and I think he deserves a shot to be a regular. We have either Hermann or Fryer, and it is not unreasonable to think that between Pinto and Hermann/Fryer we could cover the vast majority of games, and leave Doumit to DH regularly. Any regular watcher of the Twins will note that Doumit improves substantially with consistent at-bats.

It also appears (every year) that there are catchers available at the end of spring training if we desperately need to plug a hole. This isn't the highest priority for this team right now, and the options outside the organization do not mandate immediate action.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast