Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rotation for 2014

So, are they better?
    #1 Nolasco
    #2-Correia
    #3-Deduno
    #4-Hughes
    #5-Pelfrey (if they resign him) (or maybe Diamond, Albers...ect)

If Dedunoand Correia continue what they did in 2013 and Nolasco transitions from the NL to AL well this could be a respectable rotation.

Not that I think the rotation will be playoff potential but at least I see major league competent starters for 2014.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My guess is that it goes down something like this:

No more FA pitchers are signed.

One or two of Duensing, Burton, Fien, Swarzak are traded.

Gibson stays in the minors to start the season.

Hendriks, Deduno, Worley, Diamond, Johnson fight for two rotation spots and at least one more slides into the bullpen.

That way the guys out of options get one more shot at redemption, Gibson waits to get called up when one inevitably falters, and the Twins pick up more organizational depth by dishing off a reliever or two.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing they don't sign anyone else for the rotation so I think that you may be right about the last two spots in the rotation. However, if Deduno looks good in ST this year he has to be a lock.

4. This user likes mcrow's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

goulik (12-02-2013)

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
    I think RP's take is pretty accurate. Though the Twins could add a reclamation like Santana or Floyd as well. The Twins are stubborn to give up on players, so I suspect Diamond, Worley, Deduno all to make the club even if not in the rotation. That Diamond lacks options makes Duensing expendable, imo.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Why leave Gibson down, again? I don't get the love of Diamond and Johnson by them (if it goes down like you say). It's not like Kyle is young. Move Diamond to long relief. Put Gibson in the rotation day one, and have Diamond/Worley/Hendriks/random guy as your plan B/C/D. Oh, and Meyer in the middle of the year.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Why leave Gibson down, again?
    Because he was awful at the ML-level, and many of the other guys are out of options. If healthy, he'll end up making 25 starts next year, don't worry.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    #5-Pelfrey (if they resign him) (or maybe Diamond, Albers...ect).
    I like it a lot better with Pelfrey there instead of the others. Too bad that rumor mill seems to have stopped.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Because he was awful at the ML-level, and many of the other guys are out of options. If healthy, he'll end up making 25 starts next year, don't worry.
    Gibson still looks like he needs to marinate some and like you said, others are out of options. Every year you have starters get injured or end up being a trainwreck so I'm sure Gibson will have the opportunity to pitch quite a bit in the majors next year if he does well at AAA.
    Last edited by mcrow; 12-02-2013 at 03:00 PM.

10. This user likes mcrow's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-02-2013)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    I like it a lot better with Pelfrey there instead of the others. Too bad that rumor mill seems to have stopped.
    Yeah, I do as well. He was pretty solid for a 5th starter if you look at the second half of the season.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be a mistake for Gibson to be in AAA.

13. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Siehbiscuit (12-03-2013)

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    It would be a mistake for Gibson to be in AAA.

Not sure why people believe that given that he hasn't proven on the major league level that he's better than any of the guys with no options left.

Dump Duensing and put Diamond in his role. I never want to see Diamond start another game. Ever.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley will not make the team & be DFA'd after ST. Diamond will make the team in the long relief spot start role. I'd rather they moved Duensing allowing Theilbar & Albers to be the main lhp out of the pen.

I don't think Diamond can cut it. I'd rather see Tonkin, Pressley, or even Achter & Jones out there. They won't give up on him yet though. I wish they'd move Burton, Duensing, & Doumit. I'd rather see some of these guys break in on lower leverage roles in the majors.

Gibson will be given the chance to win a job out of ST & I think he will. He was pretty good last year until he got up there in innings which is normal for players after TJ.

What I expect:
    Nolasco, Hughes, Corriea, Deduno, Gibson

Perkins, Fien, Burton, Swarzak, Duensing, Diamond, Theilbar.

What I'd do:
    Nolasco, Hughes, Corriea, Deduno, Gibson

Perkins, Swarzak, Fien, Theilbar, Albers, Pressley, Tonkin

Trading Diamond & Worley to a team like the Astros. Then Burton & Duensing to a contender. Also moving Corriea at the deadline for Meyer.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 741 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Worley will not make the team & be DFA'd after ST.
    That would be such a colossal mistake. Worley is one month older than Gibson and had success as recently as 2012.

18. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

panolo (12-02-2013), Siehbiscuit (12-03-2013)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    That would be such a colossal mistake. Worley is one month older than Gibson and had success as recently as 2012.
    That's a really interesting/important take on Worley. I loved the trade with him coming over last year with May. Was obviously disappointed with his year but given his age/prior success it's hard to not give him another shot. I think most are right about Gibson starting out in AAA. That or I could see a guy like Worley or Diamond (out of options talent) get a phantom injury out of spring training to keep 'em around til a spot opens up. I'd really like one more look at Worley before shipping him off. At the very least maybe he could be part of a package for a better starter (homer bailey?) Obviously a small part of the deal but still use him for something.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the twins need a lefty in the rotation. If i am right...that means one of Diamond Albers or Johnson. and no i dont think the twins sign any more free agent starters

I see absolutely no reason to resign Pelfrey. Apart from the fact he was terrible in 2013, he doesn't project as a long-term solution to the rotation. Why not give Diamond and Worley another shot? Last year aside, they've shown they can get big league hitters out, and if they can get straightened out they would be under Twins control for a few more years. JUST SAY NO TO PELFREY!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
    Not sure why people believe that given that he hasn't proven on the major league level that he's better than any of the guys with no options left.
    He's a much more highly regarded prospect vs any of the other guys, he's pitched 40 games in AAA and he's 26 years old. Sending him back to AAA does nothing for him or the Twins, given his talent, he needs to sink or swim in the MLB.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    I see absolutely no reason to resign Pelfrey. Apart from the fact he was terrible in 2013, he doesn't project as a long-term solution to the rotation. Why not give Diamond and Worley another shot? Last year aside, they've shown they can get big league hitters out, and if they can get straightened out they would be under Twins control for a few more years. JUST SAY NO TO PELFREY!
    He was basically Derek Lowe from 08 up to his TJ in early 2012. He tried accelerating his return but turns out he needed 16 months to recover just like everyone else. After that point, he picked up right where he left off. I fully expect him to put together a 190 IP 4.3 ERA season again. Plus, he'll be 30, which is on the younger side. So unless the Twins are going to make a run at Garza, Santana, or Tanaka, they should be all over that IMO. It would sure beat watching Pedro Hernandez pitch again.
    Last edited by Willihammer; 12-02-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LewFordLives View Post
    Pelfrey looked pretty good (for a 4-5th starter) in the last half of the season. Might be he was getting a little stronger as his arm was getting more live with more time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast