Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rotation for 2014

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    From what I've seen in the past, effectively wild pitchers usually have *some* ability to control their fastball. It's their secondary pitches that cause wildness... Secondary pitches that they're often able to jettison (or, at the very least, throw less often) in the bullpen.
    This is correct IMO.

I'd rather have Deduno as the 5th man in the rotation and Worley be the long arm/spot starter until proven that both: Deduno is not MLB starting material and Worley is.

All this with the caveat that both do make the 25 man. I'm more sure that Deduno will and not so sure the Worley can/will.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    He was basically Derek Lowe from 08 up to his TJ in early 2012.
    Pre-surgery Pelfrey = Derek Lowe? Careful here. Lowe averaged a 112 ERA+ while never missing a start for 9 seasons. Pelfrey had a 93 ERA+ over his 4 full seasons. Lowe only once posted an ERA+ below 105 before age 36, and never posted an ERA+ below 88 until he was 38 years old and was basically finished as an MLB SP at that point. Pelfrey posted marks of 78 and 81 in full seasons pre-surgery, after he was already an established MLB starter.

Don't get me wrong -- Pelfrey may be on the comeback trail and may be a good acquisition for someone at the right price, but he has never been the equivalent of Derek Lowe. (Unless you mean Lowe today )

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,260 Times in 752 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siehbiscuit View Post
    Can you ever have too much pitching?
    You can have too many pitchers who are out of minor league options. I think we're about at that point now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    That would be such a colossal mistake. Worley is one month older than Gibson and had success as recently as 2012.
    I wouldn't dump Worley yet either, not with this roster. But the fact that Worley came over to the Twins so cheaply, followed up by his awful 2013 season (5.3 K/9 in AAA? Season ended early July?), does not bode well for his future prospects.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 783 Times in 428 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I wouldn't dump Worley yet either, not with this roster. But the fact that Worley came over to the Twins so cheaply, followed up by his awful 2013 season (5.3 K/9 in AAA? Season ended early July?), does not bode well for his future prospects.
    No, it doesn't... But given this team's roster, he certainly deserves one more shot at the rotation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    No, it doesn't... But given this team's roster, he certainly deserves one more shot at the rotation.
    Oh yes. The Twins should be all about guys like that (although glad TR got the message this offseason not to be *exclusively* about guys like that!).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123