Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: These Ain't Your Old Twins

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    By the time Buxton and Sano are due large raises, Joe Mauer's contract comes off the books.

That's why incremental signings are a good idea. You constantly have guys coming off the books, freeing up money to sign more players.
    Good point on Mauer's contract. Sometimes it's easy to forget that his contract will someday end, despite being a "Twin for life."

Still, our starting budget and commitments were so low, we have room for another incremental signing this offseason within our budget, and we'll get back more "wiggle room" next offseason with a few expiring contracts too. Another Nolasco type contract or even something a little bigger won't slow us down in the least.

Think of it this way: we've barely made any significant contractual commitments since 2010. Take 3 years off any incremental process, and the next increment can (and perhaps should) be larger.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Good point on Mauer's contract. Sometimes it's easy to forget that his contract will someday end, despite being a "Twin for life."

Still, our starting budget and commitments were so low, we have room for another incremental signing this offseason within our budget, and we'll get back more "wiggle room" next offseason with a few expiring contracts too. Another Nolasco type contract or even something a little bigger won't slow us down in the least.

Think of it this way: we've barely made any significant contractual commitments since 2010. Take 3 years off any incremental process, and the next increment can (and perhaps should) be larger.
    I'm not against the Twins picking up more players, I'm just not sure who they should pick up and I'd prefer it to be shorter-term than Matt Garza.

I'd love for them to be playing in the 3 year, $20-25m range but given the positional talent available this offseason and the Twins difficulty in deciding who stays and who goes, I'm not sure if there's really anyone for them to pursue right now.

I was against the Salty signing but honestly, he was probably the best option out there in that range... I just hate the idea of paying that guy based on a .372 BABIP season.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 179 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I don't know who'd you sign anymore either. Didn't like Salty or most position players, and we've already got two SP.

I guess I'd try to stay in the mix for the remaining pitchers, in case the market doesn't quite explode for them. Maybe I am just searching for the comfort of a non-xFIP-based pitching acquisition.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    One way the A's were good last year was by not throwing away any of the 24 spots. They made small improvements across the board. The Twins need to decide if they are going that route (e.g., making some small signing of guys they know can add some value), or if they are going to give some of the young guys already here a shot to provide more data about their ability to play.

I'd think there are guys that are much likely to be better than Doumit, Parms, Hicks/Mastro/Pressley were last year available. Do you roll the dice on the guys you have, or bring in some vets to maybe be better and send the guys to AAA or packing?

The Yankees now need a 2B....if you think Rosario can be your guy starting in 2015, do you deal Dozier for prospects (I have no idea if the Yanks have any prospects)?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    One way the A's were good last year was by not throwing away any of the 24 spots. They made small improvements across the board. The Twins need to decide if they are going that route (e.g., making some small signing of guys they know can add some value), or if they are going to give some of the young guys already here a shot to provide more data about their ability to play.

I'd think there are guys that are much likely to be better than Doumit, Parms, Hicks/Mastro/Pressley were last year available. Do you roll the dice on the guys you have, or bring in some vets to maybe be better and send the guys to AAA or packing?

The Yankees now need a 2B....if you think Rosario can be your guy starting in 2015, do you deal Dozier for prospects (I have no idea if the Yanks have any prospects)?
    Sure there are guys out there who are more likely to be better in 2014 than the group of semi-prospects you listed. On the other hand incremental improvement isn't going to do the Twins much good in 2014. Also there is some chance that Hicks and perhaps Plouffe and Parmelee could provide more than incremental improvement at some point.

I think Nolasco will provide some help. Who knows what Hughes might do. If the Twins pitching is significantly better in 2014 it will likely because guys like Gibson, Meyer and maybe May get to the majors and pitch to their preceived talent, quickly. Alternatively, perhaps Worley, Deduno and Diamond might build on their somewhat limited major league success. But counting on Nolasco and Hughes to be more than what they have been at their best, mid rotation starters is not realistic.

So what is realistic? Let's find out about guys like Hicks and Pinto. Maybe Plouffe and couple of the other slow developing guys as well. Maybe we see Sano and Buxton at some point as well. The starting pitching is unlikely to be good enough in 2014 to carry even an average offense. So lets look at some guys who might be above average someday, and hopefully some who have a good chance to be well above average. If some small improvements are out there maybe you take them, but I want to see the guys who have at least some chance of being better than that.

Finally comparing what the A's did last year to what the Twins should do now isn't really that useful. Small improvements for a good A's team in 2012 made a lot of sense. Small improvements for a bad 2013 Twins team aren't going to turn the 2014 Twins into anything. Maybe some large improvements by some existing Twins and soon to be Twins will move the Twins in the right direction.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234