Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 40 man roster?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

40 man roster?

I was just looking at the Twins 40 man roster which currently has 39 players on it at the moment. Now comes the major issues that need to be addressed, Nolasco and Hughes are not on the roster as of today. If Terry Ryan continues to make signings alot of AAAA players need to be removed from the 40 man roster.
    So the Twins will need to shed at least 3-5 players if they add a player form the Rule 5 draft in a couple of weeks. Albers,Hendricks and Escobar are the easy choices. If another catcher is added a Doumit trade is not far behind. Diamond and Worley could be traded. Max Kepler should have never been added to the roster.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 121 Times in 67 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Escobar is safe. I'm sure Seth and I will tackle this tonight in our hangout. Without too much research, I think Mastro, Colabello and Albers are three in danger.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Eric Fryer has no business being on the 40-man roster. Then Mastro, Johnson, Colabello, and Albers.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    They need to make one move to add both Nolasco and Hughes. If they want to participate in the Rule 5 draft, that goes up to two. Look for them to do nothing with Fryer until they sign a catcher. When/if they do, Fryer will be outrighted to Rochester.

The next 72 hours should be interesting, although I won't be surprised if they take a pass on this year's Rule 5 draft.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
    Hendriks, Herrmann, Colabello and Parmelee are all pretty simple cuts. Nothing to worry about.

Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The list of who would be dropped should come from the following:

Albers
    Diamond
    Worely
    Logan Darnell
    Brian Deunsing (non tender candidate)
    Edgar Ibarra

Eric Fryer
    Hermann
    Colabello
    Mastroianni
    Parmelee

I would think they would drop one of the starters with no options left first like Worely. They may nontender Deunsing though I doubt it. Ibarra, Darnell, and Albers are not considered strong prospects so I can see them being taken off to see if they can make it through waivers. Each of the offensive players still hold a little value though Mastroianni could be one to let go.

Its nice to see the AAAA talent shrinking on the roster as we currently have 11 and that is expected to go to single digits and with all of the talent coming down the pipeline it will get interesting to see how creative we need to get to make the 40 man roster.

If they sign Pierzynski, I would not be surprised at all to see Fryer on the 25-man roster in April as the back-up catcher. Pinto needs to be playing 5-6 days a week at AAA to iron out his defense. Herrmann as a LH hitter doesn't work in a platoon with AJ, and he is redundant with Doumit on the roster. Doumit is a DH/PH/RF and (very) emergency catcher.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Players that were just added to the 40-man can't be taken off until some time during spring training. That eliminates Darnell and Kepler, who were mentioned above. I would also assume Ibarra fits that category too, even though he was added earlier.

9. These 3 users like Jeremy Nygaard's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-01-2013), lecroy24fan (12-05-2013), Siehbiscuit (12-02-2013)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Players that were just added to the 40-man can't be taken off until some time during spring training. That eliminates Darnell and Kepler, who were mentioned above. I would also assume Ibarra fits that category too, even though he was added earlier.
    Indeed. Same with Fryer.

Albers and/or Colabello are goners, pending a trade, I suspect
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Colabello will be squeezed from both sides. Mauer is a long term block at 1B. Vargas and Hicks need time at AA and AAA.

... or he needs to hit like David Ortiz. Otherwise there is no room on a 3-4 man bench for a guy without a position.

12. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-01-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Are you sure about Fryer? I am not certain of this rule, however, Fryer was added in September which seems different to me.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Are you sure about Fryer? I am not certain of this rule, however, Fryer was added in September which seems different to me.
    Has to do with the Split contract he signed. Unless I am mistaken, he cannot be taken off the 40-man until late ST
    -----

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Albers is the Second Coming of Jamie Moyers, mark my words.

Tons of tradeable guys now; let the #5 spot scrum take care of itself. Use these pieces to get a solid #4 starter.
    Feel free to pile on about Suzuki.

Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    Has to do with the Split contract he signed. Unless I am mistaken, he cannot be taken off the 40-man until late ST
    I'm gonna do some research on this. I think there is more to it. The contract that Fryer signed now is no different than the ones the rest of the 40-man will sign in the spring, some of which will be removed from the roster without penalty.

My gut feeling is that this contract isn't guaranteed. If he were placed on waivers, the team would have to pick up this contract. If he clears, he's off the 40-man, but is still paid the MiLB portion. Likely meaning, he's no less likely to be outrighted off (besides the fact that the Twins though enough to get his deal done now).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I'm gonna do some research on this. I think there is more to it. The contract that Fryer signed now is no different than the ones the rest of the 40-man will sign in the spring, some of which will be removed from the roster without penalty.

My gut feeling is that this contract isn't guaranteed. If he were placed on waivers, the team would have to pick up this contract. If he clears, he's off the 40-man, but is still paid the MiLB portion. Likely meaning, he's no less likely to be outrighted off (besides the fact that the Twins though enough to get his deal done now).
    Please do because I am drawing a total blank here. Same situation as Tim Wood last season and they kept him on the roster (albeit the 60 day DL) until very late in the season.
    -----

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 164 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So who is safe? The farm guys just added are, right? So they can't drop Darnell and Ibarra, I presume.

I got to think that the obvious choices are someone from the pitching staff. One of the two (and I assume there will be two) has to be a pitcher. Kris Johnson and Andrew Albers would be at the top of my list.

AS for position players, I guess the way to do it is to start listing the rough 25-man roster....
    C - TBD
    1B - Mauer
    2B - Dozier
    SS - Florimon/Escoabar
    3B - Plouffe
    LF - Willingham
    CF - Presley
    RF - Arcia?
    DH - Doumit?

MI - Florimon/Escobar
    CI -
    4th OF - Mastroianni
    Catcher/Other -

Well, I see Colabello, Parmelee, Pinto and Herrmann competing for 2 spots, depending on if Doumit can catch.

Hmm, that doesn't leave an obvious guy out of luck from the position players. it makes a lot more sense to me to cut a couple of the pitcher that are all competing for one spot.

Have we offered arbitration to Duensing?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley was a disaster last year, but he's still just 26. His BABIP was .401 last season, which isn't just unlucky it's borderline impossible. It's interesting to me that the same people penciling Deduno into the rotation for the next few years also want to cut Worley. Go look at what Deduno was up to at age 25. Worley was really good in 2011, has had at least as much MLB success as Deduno and is five years younger. Why cut either one?
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

20. This user likes Brad Swanson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Cris E (12-03-2013)

Blog Entries
    I would think Worely could be let go as he was terrible all season and in AAA and then injured. If I remember right he needed an attitude adjustment too once he was sent down. There are several players without options fighting for one spot. I would think Albers would remain on the roster since he pitched well last season in Minnesota and has options remaining. If we remove him then loose both Diamond and Worely at the end of spring training when they don't make the team we could loose a lot of depth for that 6th and 7th starter at one time. Diamond could also be let go because TR may feel Johnson is a better version of him.

So my final answers are Deunsing and Worely.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    Worley was a disaster last year, but he's still just 26. His BABIP was .401 last season, which isn't just unlucky it's borderline impossible. It's interesting to me that the same people penciling Deduno into the rotation for the next few years also want to cut Worley. Go look at what Deduno was up to at age 25. Worley was really good in 2011, has had at least as much MLB success as Deduno and is five years younger. Why cut either one?
    The only reason to cut Worely is because we have several pitchers who are out of options so if we cut a pitcher with options remaining then loose Worely and Diamond at the end of spring training you loose depth for that 6th and 7th starter you want to have ready in the minors.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley has had more MLB success than about 10 guys on the 40-man roster. I think you have to at least wait until Spring Training to see what he has left in the tank.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast