Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Today's Twins looking forward

Today's Twins looking forward

Now that we've seen Terry Ryan start to spend some money, we have a better feel for what the Twins are thinking. The next question is, how does this play out this year and long term.

I've included a 2 year/15M contract for A.J. I would prefer Saltalmachia for a little more money, but it appears the Twins are locked in on AJ and we can afford him for 2 years to platoon/mentor Pinto while also serving as DH occasionally.

I really like how this shapes up for this year with the future in mind. We can look to trade Willingham, Doumit, Corriea and Burton at the deadline for some young players to stock the minors. This would free up room for Sano, Buxton, Meyer, etc. to come up during the season. Without being too optimistic, I could see this team finishing a little under .500. Maybe 75-87?

Looking forward to 2015, I really like how the roster looks and it appears there would be room in the budget for 1 or 2 big signings (maybe a #1/#2 starter if guys like Gibson/Diamond/Worley/Deduno don't pan out and a position player at middle infield or corner outfield). If Sano, Buxton, and Meyer live up to expectations, this team could be above .500 and in the wild card race into August/September.

Potential 2014 Opening Day Roster
    C: Pierzynski (7.5M), Pinto (0.5M)
    1B: Mauer (23M), Parmalee (0.5M)
    2B: Dozier (0.5M)
    SS: Florimon (0.5M), Escobar (0.5M)
    3B: Plouffe (1.5M)
    LF: Willingham (7M)
    CF: Pressley (0.5M) Mastroianni (0.5M)
    RF: Arcia (0.5M)
    DH: Doumit (3.5M)

SP: Nolasco (12M)
    SP: Hughes (8M)
    SP: Correia (5.5M)
    SP: Deduno (0.5M)
    SP: Gibson (0.5M)

RP: Perkins (4M)
    RP: Burton (3.25M)
    RP: Fien (0.5M)
    RP: Duensing (2M)
    RP: Pressley (0.5M)
    RP: Swarzak (1.2M)
    RP: Thielbar (0.5M)

Others: Tonkin (0.5M), Diamond (0.55M), Worley (0.55M), Fryer (0.5M), Hendricks (0.5M)

Total Payroll: $87.55M

Potential 2015 Opening Day Roster
    C: Pierzynski (7.5M), Pinto (0.5M)
    1B: Mauer (23M), Parmalee (0.5M)
    2B: Dozier (0.55M)
    SS: Florimon (0.5M), Escobar (0.5M)
    3B: Sano (0.5M)
    LF: Hicks (0.5M)
    CF: Buxton (0.5M), Pressley (0.5M)
    RF: Arcia (0.5M)
    DH: Plouffe (2M)

SP: Nolasco (12M)
    SP: Hughes (8M)
    SP: Meyer (0.5M)
    SP: Deduno (0.5M)
    SP: Gibson (0.5M)

RP: Perkins (4M)
    RP: Burton (3.4M)
    RP: Fien (0.5M)
    RP: Tonkin (0.5M)
    RP: Thielbar (0.5M)
    RP: Pressley (0.5M)
    RP: Swarzak (1.75M)Others: Rosario (0.5M), May (0.5M), Diamond (0.55M), Worley (0.55M), Fryer (0.5M), Hendricks (0.5M)
    Total Payroll: $73.3M

2. This user likes TwinsTerritory's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-02-2013)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsTerritory View Post

Others: Tonkin (0.5M), Diamond (0.55M), Worley (0.55M), Fryer (0.5M), Hendricks (0.5M)
    You know that Diamond and Worley (and Deduno) are out of options so they are good as gone if they do not make the 25-man roster, correct?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Yeah, I just didn't want to take them off because who knows what the Twins will do with the #4/#5 spots in the rotation. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gibson start in AAA and Diamond/Worley/Deduno fight for those 2 spots out of spring training. I don't think any of them can be ruled out, but I do understand that 1 or 2 of them probably aren't in the organization in the near future.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    You know that Diamond and Worley (and Deduno) are out of options so they are good as gone if they do not make the 25-man roster, correct?
    This is a major question this offseason, as I see it. Do we believe that Worley and/or Deduno and/or Diamond are going to become serviceable again? Especially Worley (in my opinion) has a chance to be good again, but we'll never figure it out if he's not on the 25-man, because he'll get picked up immediately somewhere else.

Dare I say that those slotting Gibson into the rotation on opening day might be jumping the gun a little bit? He's got options, so assuming Worley does okay in spring training, wouldn't it be better to leave Gibson in AAA a bit and see what Worley can do?

6. This user likes 70charger's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (12-01-2013)

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    This is a major question this offseason, as I see it. Do we believe that Worley and/or Deduno and/or Diamond are going to become serviceable again? Especially Worley (in my opinion) has a chance to be good again, but we'll never figure it out if he's not on the 25-man, because he'll get picked up immediately somewhere else.

Dare I say that those slotting Gibson into the rotation on opening day might be jumping the gun a little bit? He's got options, so assuming Worley does okay in spring training, wouldn't it be better to leave Gibson in AAA a bit and see what Worley can do?
    It sure seems to be heading that direction. Gibson will probably have to start in AAA.

In my opinion... No way do you let Deduno go if healthy... If not healthy... The DL will have room for him.

You can't let Worley go... That 5 spot should be his until at least May... unless you think that 2013 will be repeated. The Twins should have an idea if 2013 is going to happen again by then.

Diamond could slot into the bullpen.

So... Unless Deduno or anyone else needs DL time. Gibson starts at Rochester and is called up at the first opp.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

8. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (12-02-2013)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    I agree with this, and I think Diamond is a great bullpen candidate. Maybe a long man? His left-right splits are weird, so I'm not sure he's a LOOGY.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    My best guess is that Swarzak and Duensing go elsewhere and that Worley and Diamond take their spots.

Quote Originally Posted by crarko View Post
    My best guess is that Swarzak and Duensing go elsewhere and that Worley and Diamond take their spots.
    I agree completely. And Gibson is 26 years old. If he's not good enough to be in the rotation from opening day 2014, then he's just not good enough.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did the Twins tender Duensing?

I think December 2 is the deadline. I am uncertain about dates with a player going to arbitration.
    Last edited by jorgenswest; 12-01-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Defense at catcher, outfield and third base may be the worst in the league.

As as we rebuild our rotation, I hope the next step is to put a defense behind them that will give them a chance.

14. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (12-01-2013)

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So you want to get rid of the best LHP (other than the closer) and the best RHP out of the pen? If you were saying something like the Twins should try to sell high on Fien and Thielbar because what they did last season is not sustainable, I'd get it...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I agree with much of what has been said, so that leaves a few questions.

#1 Are the Twins still seriously considering giving Pelfrey a contract? That seems illogical unless they are ready to lose at least 2 of Diamond, Deduno, and Worley (edited from earlier when I mistakenly typed Gibson).

#2 Would they put any of the 3 in the bullpen? I just don't see that being a great fit, but it may be a better option than letting any of them walk.

#3 Do any of the 3 have value in a small trade? Maybe for a low level prospect?
    Last edited by TwinsTerritory; 12-01-2013 at 09:54 PM.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Nice article , most of my questions have been asked already, except if we sign A.J. and Pelfrey , who will be DFAd or will Terry try and trade a few of the following Doumit Worely Diamond ,Deduno amd Burton. If so would these guys be enough to accuire Wisler and Burch Smith from the Padres?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I agree with this, and I think Diamond is a great bullpen candidate. Maybe a long man? His left-right splits are weird, so I'm not sure he's a LOOGY.
    His splits indicate he'd make a terrible loogy.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley, Diamond, Hendriks, Thielbar, Darnell and Ibarra... heck Jose Mijares is a FA.