Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris Herrmann

Hermann, this wk, passed his games played at New Brit last yr ....compare
    2011 97gms 337ABs .258/.380/.392 53runs 14doubles 5triples 7HR 46RBI 68k 64bb 9/12sb
    2012 103gms 393ABs .272/.347/.394 76runs 22doubles 1triple 8hr 46rbi 71k 46bb 2/3sb

Tied for Eastern Lg lead , with Aaron Hicks, in runs scored w/76
    105ABs .324/.385/.419 vs LHP
    Since June 1st has 32bb 32Ks to show his good eye is stil there.

IMO, the only reason he hasnt been promoted (or teammates either) is to reward New Brit.... for re-upping their contract w/MN & try for the playoffs

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    if only he wasnt blocked by Drew Butera
    Butera is not blocking him. Butera is a defensive guy who plays once a week. I have never seen a scouting report that Herrmann is close to Butera and there is no way the Twins would have him on the major league roster to rarely play.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
    IMO, the only reason he hasnt been promoted (or teammates either) is to reward New Brit.... for re-upping their contract w/MN & try for the playoffs
    False.

Have some patience. Getting through the minors is not a race, it is about developing players and for the marginal guys like Herrmann there is great benefit to playing every day at a level he can handle rather than being pushed too high to play less.
    Papers...business papers.

Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    Butera is not blocking him. Butera is a defensive guy who plays once a week. I have never seen a scouting report that Herrmann is close to Butera and there is no way the Twins would have him on the major league roster to rarely play.
    My Butera comment was sarcasm.....

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    False.

Have some patience. Getting through the minors is not a race, it is about developing players and for the marginal guys like Herrmann there is great benefit to playing every day at a level he can handle rather than being pushed too high to play less.
    Plenty of New Britain players would step in immediately as starters for Rochester, and Herrmann is one of them. Rene Rivera, Brian Dinkelman, and Clete Thomas are too important to have in the organization though!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    Plenty of New Britain players would step in immediately as starters for Rochester, and Herrmann is one of them. Rene Rivera, Brian Dinkelman, and Clete Thomas are too important to have in the organization though!

It is not like any of those players are blocking anyone's development. If Arcia is major league ready next year he will play in the majors regardless if he spends time in Rochester. No one else shows up as really being above average. Benson being a basket case earlier at Rochester will effect a mid season promotion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    It is not like any of those players are blocking anyone's development. If Arcia is major league ready next year he will play in the majors regardless if he spends time in Rochester. No one else shows up as really being above average. Benson being a basket case earlier at Rochester will effect a mid season promotion.
    Well, I don't want to go down this path again, but I think there is value to AAA playing time for all but the top prospects (like Arcia). Hicks, Benson, Herrmann, Romero, and Colabello all should go to AAA. The first three are clearly above average prospects and the latter two at least are showing above average power this year.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, well it also took NBR AWHILE to put these two where they belong at 1-2 in the lineup. I don't understand how that wasn't obvious from the get-go. Maybe they were trying to develop them into better hitters, and judging by the BA's rising some and Hicks' improved power, it may have worked (I hope that is why they didn't start the season 1-2, anyway).

Hermann, this wk, passed his games played at New Brit last yr ....compare
    2011 97gms 337ABs .258/.380/.392 53runs 14doubles 5triples 7HR 46RBI 68k 64bb 9/12sb
    2012 103gms 393ABs .272/.347/.394 76runs 22doubles 1triple 8hr 46rbi 71k 46bb 2/3sb

Tied for Eastern Lg lead , with Aaron Hicks, in runs scored w/76
    105ABs .324/.385/.419 vs LHP
    Since June 1st has 32bb 32Ks to show his good eye is stil there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    And as I have said elsewhere, I submit Brian Dozier, Chris Parmelee, Joe Benson, and Rene Tosoni as guys who clearly spent way too little time in AAA before being thought of as MLB-ready. The Twins held them back in AA and then gave them (the first two) way too little time in AAA. Dozier's AAA numbers this year should have raised red flags. Parmelee's sustained time in AAA is going to help him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanewahl View Post
    And as I have said elsewhere, I submit Brian Dozier, Chris Parmelee, Joe Benson, and Rene Tosoni as guys who clearly spent way too little time in AAA before being thought of as MLB-ready. The Twins held them back in AA and then gave them (the first two) way too little time in AAA. Dozier's AAA numbers this year should have raised red flags. Parmelee's sustained time in AAA is going to help him.
    Benson's problems at AAA earlier this year were well documented, as were Tosoni's. I recall at the time that Tosoni was called up there were not many other options. Why he regressed this year I do not know. Would they as players be better off working to push to make the playoffs in AA versus playing out the season in AAA is a good question. Can any of them learn to carry a team? That is a skill sorely lacking with the Twins. They have players that can play well, even sometimes all stars when not by default, but none that IMO can carry a team. Maybe one or two of them will get that experience at New Britain and bring it with them forward. Do the Twins have filler at AAA and AA. All the names you mention at AAA. I think they view Rivera as filler, not a third baseman. Colabello I think started as such. AA is the highest level he has played.

Blog Entries
    Chris Herrmann ended the year quite well.

For the season:

558 PA, .276/.350/.392 (.742), with 25 doubles, 1 triple, and 10 homers, a 58/89 bb/k rate, and a majority of his time at catchers (then LF and one game at 3B).

He has a .754 OPS in AA in almost 1,000 plate appearances. My word, how is this not a valuable asset for the Twins going forward instead of Drew Butera? Even a .700 OPS in a 2.5 catcher/5th OF/lefty PH (though great against lefties) role in 200 PA would be a great improvement for the Twins. Then he replaces Doumit down the line.

Herrmann is headed back to the AFL, so it will be interesting to see how he does there. I don't think there is much to prove. He would have benefit from about 100 AAA plate appearances this year, but apparently this inept organization disagrees.

Senior Member Double-A Wookiee of the Year's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Shane, what's your read on how soon Herrmann should replace Butera as our third-string catcher? I agree with you that it would've been great to see him play at AAA this year, but given where we sit today, when would it be reasonable to move him onto the Twins' active roster in a primarily bench role without risk of stunting his development?

Also, do you know if he's related to the Frank Herrmann who threw an inning of relief pitching for the Cleveland Indians last night?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't really understand why some of you seem to think Herrmann was being held back at AA. He hit less than 280 with modest power(10 HR). While he might be a better hitter than Rivera, Towles or Butera, he hardly dominated with his bat. One of the things the Twins seemed to want to accomplish with Herrmann was get him an extended look at catcher. Which they accomplished. Since he really doesn't seem to be a likely big league starter at any position, I expect for him to actually make a major league roster, he will have to be reasonably accomplished defsively at more than one position. It would also be nice if he could hold his own with the bat.

Having a little offense in a backup catcher is a nice bonus, but a backup catcher better be a good defensive catcher. I don't really think Herrmann is likely that, at this point, he really hasn't caught much. He could be a very useful backup at some point, but I suspect he is likely a good year or more away from the majors.

Guys repeatedly make the majors who do not have spectacular, but rather very solid minor league numbers (look at Parmelee).
    Regardless of whether he's a starter, he's goin to be a solid bench contributor and there is extreme value there.
    Probably wont begin the season with MN as 3rd C just like Butera didnt this year, but joined them in May. Of course, a 3rd C isnt necessary to anyone else than Gardy...so maybe next year we wont see one that early or if at all.

This year in AFL, he will be a fulltime starting C where last year, he was the backup C....lot easier to evaluate.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Chris Herrmann ended the year quite well.

For the season:

558 PA, .276/.350/.392 (.742), with 25 doubles, 1 triple, and 10 homers, a 58/89 bb/k rate, and a majority of his time at catchers (then LF and one game at 3B).

He has a .754 OPS in AA in almost 1,000 plate appearances. My word, how is this not a valuable asset for the Twins going forward instead of Drew Butera? Even a .700 OPS in a 2.5 catcher/5th OF/lefty PH (though great against lefties) role in 200 PA would be a great improvement for the Twins. Then he replaces Doumit down the line.

Herrmann is headed back to the AFL, so it will be interesting to see how he does there. I don't think there is much to prove. He would have benefit from about 100 AAA plate appearances this year, but apparently this inept organization disagrees.
    Inept organization? No organization would have moved up an average hitter/sub-average defensive catcher to AAA. If most of you guys could have your way, prospects would spend a month at each level. There is no rush with these guys. Tori Hunter and Denard Span are prime examples of why letting prospects to move up on slowly, not before they are ready, is a good practice. If Herman was the next Joe Mauer, he wouldn't be hitting under .280.

In my opinion, he should spend most of the season at AAA next year. His bat will probably be good enough to join the bigs early next season, but this kid needs more time learning how to deal with Major league pitchers behind the plate. Let him call a full season of games at AAA before you call him up. The Twins are not competing next season, why not let him develop more before throwing him to wolves (Wolves being pitchers like Deduno and Frankiefastball).

Sounds like Hermann is bein called up due to injuries....
    Bout time

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 364 Times in 192 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like Herrmann will be called up for catcher depth, but it still hasn't been announced officially.

Blog Entries
    Yay!

Twins Twerp, why do you feel the need to exaggerate? I said that 1000 plate appearances at AA seemed like overkill there and that he should have spent time at AAA THIS YEAR before likely starting there next year. What's wrong with that? How is that anything remotely akin to "spending a month" at every level?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12