Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins Make Statement With Nolasco Signing

I believe the Twins are going to sign another pitcher besides Nolasco my bet its Hughes or Garza and I also think they will resign Pelfry also. This would give them staff of like Nolasco, Hughes -?, Pelfry, Correia, and Gibson starting the season and possibly Diamond. With Dudeno, Worley, to fill in if anyone of these would falter. It would also give them a pitcher to trade later in the season for prospect and quality of the prospect would be how well one of the bottom pitchers are pitching. Also we could see Myer enter picture in middle to late summer depending on the season he is having. A funny thing when pitching talent gets better some of these bottom pitchers will get better to from the competition to make the squad. I think by end of season we could see how this team is going to turn the corner because I believe a lot prospects will be called by end of next season. A lot of the names we have had on this team last two years will no longer be with the Twins.

2. This user likes ND-Fan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

glunn (11-30-2013)

Good article. I don't think Terry Ryan isn't evil. He's not a cheapskate, well mostly. He is the new scapegoat now that Carl died. Terry Ryan does deals that he feels are worth it. He's not going to make a deal to make the fans feel better. He's going to do a deal because it makes sense with what he has and what he's given and what's out there. I like that we don't overpay for free agents just because. He refuses to accept market value and that's fine with me. I think last year he took what we could afford and what was decent practical value. No it wasn't amazing but for the money, Correia turned out to be one of the better free agent pitchers in '13 numbers wise. And mostly everyone else stole a paycheck.

A great example of this is the mike pelfrey offer. Twins offered him a contract but for what he's worth, not market value for him. Hence the 3-4 million dollar gap between what he wants and what TR is willing to pay. TR doesn't do market value. And someone with more time than me will prove how not worth it most free agents are for their market value.

The 2nd upgrade pitcher this offseason will come by trade.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Power Alley on MLB Network Radio.

I was simply commented on what they said. These are baseball people -it's there job- and they sounded ridiculous trying to sum up the signing. If the Twins paid the going rate, which is what they said, why question the terms of the contract? I'm also not a huge fan of ERA, especially with Nolasco who advanced metrics suggest is better than his ERA shows. He also was a #4 starter last year, sure... on a staff with two Cy Young winners. The way I look at pitchers is if they'd start in a 5-game playoff series and I'd feel good about Nolasco in game 3.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    I think he was more mocking the (Powertrip?) for the stats they were using to judge the deal. I listen to the show fairly regularly & they aren't bad overall but are terrible when it comes to Baseball. Hawkey is one of the most uninformed sports analyzers I have ever listend too.

It was a solid B to B+ signing. They got a guy they liked for a very fair deal market wise & did so early in the process.
    Unfortunately Kfan often takes a cynical and less informed approach to baseball. Dubay and Mackie on 1500 do a better job.

I like this signing a lot. It does not suddenly make the team great but its a nice move in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

The way I look at pitchers is if they'd start in a 5-game playoff series and I'd feel good about Nolasco in game 3.
    I like the Nolasco signing for a number of reasons, but perhaps the fact that I can envision him pitching in a playoff game at all is the thing that heartens me the most. However, I don't know that I would love him as the #3 starter for a playoff team, I prefer him as a #4. Here are the AL playoff pitchers who I would not start Nolasco over:

Boston - Lester, Bucholz, Lackey

TB - Price, Cobb, Moore, Archer

Oak - Colon, Parker

Det - Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez, Fister

Tex - Darvish, Holland, Ogando, Garza

So based on this very un-scientific look, I would say that Nolasco does not make the playoff rotation for 3 of the 5 AL playoff teams last year, serves as the #4 for Boston (who did win the WS), and the #3 on the overachieving A's team.

Asking Nolasco to be a #3 on a playoff rotation seems a bit of a stretch.

7. This user likes Zephrin's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Oxtung (11-30-2013)

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DomeDog View Post
    Good article. I don't think Terry Ryan isn't evil.

That isn't not a double-negative.

(I actually agree with your take wholeheartedly!)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    I think he was more mocking the (Powertrip?) for the stats they were using to judge the deal. I listen to the show fairly regularly & they aren't bad overall but are terrible when it comes to Baseball. Hawkey is one of the most uninformed sports analyzers I have ever listend too.

It was a solid B to B+ signing. They got a guy they liked for a very fair deal market wise & did so early in the process.
    And my point was Ricky is a #3 or #4 type pitcher

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
    The Twins did make a statement with the Nolasco signing--and it is a positive statement. No, he won't turn the team into a .500 team (all by himself) but this is a start. Last season's rotation contained only one Major League pitcher (and a rather ordinary one at that). Three more are needed. No, I don't think all will be "on board" for 2014, but, this is a start.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post

I was simply commented on what they said. These are baseball people -it's there job- and they sounded ridiculous trying to sum up the signing. If the Twins paid the going rate, which is what they said, why question the terms of the contract? I'm also not a huge fan of ERA, especially with Nolasco who advanced metrics suggest is better than his ERA shows. He also was a #4 starter last year, sure... on a staff with two Cy Young winners. The way I look at pitchers is if they'd start in a 5-game playoff series and I'd feel good about Nolasco in game 3.
    Sorry Me bad, We dont get that radio station down here near Mazatlan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12