Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twins Minor League Breakout Candidates

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 348 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Minor League Breakout Candidates

Who do you see as breakout candidates in the Twins farm system?

Pitchers: I like Brett Lee and Jorge Felix.

hitters: I think Kepler will have a big year and Stuart Turner could surprise with the bat.

who do you think will take a big step forward as a prospect in 2014?

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 461 Times in 290 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trevor May, Aaron Hicks, Kohl Stewart, Jon Gonsalves
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

3. This user likes cmathewson's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

TRex (11-29-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am thinking that Stewart ends the year in New Britian and Gonsalves and Thorpe end the year in Fort Myers(much closer to Minnesota than would be believed).
    Hitters I feel that Vargas could be in Rochester by the end of the year, also think Minier will be further along than we think and will be in New Britian or Rochester by the end of the year.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Felix is not a secret I'd argue that 2013 was his breakout season.

Pitchers:

Josh Burris (converted to a starter last season in E-town) in CR and if he gets his control in place he will surprise.

Brian Gilbert
    who would likely start the season as the CR closer moving up to the same position in Fort Myers and will more than keep up with the Joneses.

Trevor May. He has to. Period. And he will, if he focuses 100% on baseball.

Position players:

Really high on Turner, btw. I have him ranked as the highest C prospect in the Twins' system. Pinto excluded.

Amaurys Minier. He will spend the season in E-town and put Sano-like numbers in HR (20) and K (77) at the same age (18) at the same place.

Kenys Vargas. The newly expectant father will put Mike Cuddyer-like (2001) numbers in New Britain. In other words he would repeat his Beloit season up there. And finally will get the respect he deserves in the prospect rankings and maybe even a September call up like Pinto.

JD Williams. Starts the season in Fort Myers and moves to New Britain. Has a close to 20 (2B)/20 (HR)/20 (SB) total season. The Twins are thinking on converting him to 2B (again).
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-29-2013 at 10:39 AM.

6. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

cmathewson (11-29-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
    I would love to see Turner's bat come around.

I know this isn't really going out on too much of a limb, but I think Kohl Stewart will be rested and be amazing this year. Also, I am going to say that Niko Goodrum will have a breakout season. He has always had the tools and athleticism, just not the production. Everything will click and he will become a top 75-100 prospect.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    I am thinking that Stewart ends the year in New Britian and Gonsalves and Thorpe end the year in Fort Myers(much closer to Minnesota than would be believed).
    Hitters I feel that Vargas could be in Rochester by the end of the year, also think Minier will be further along than we think and will be in New Britian or Rochester by the end of the year.
    I'll agree on Vargas, but if any of the rest of those happen, I will be shocked! Go salves to Ft. Myers could happen, though unlikely. Same with Stewart. Miniver will play for Etown. If he gets to Cedar Rapids I'd be surprised. Same with Thorpe, though he might get to Cedar Rapids.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a fun thread.

I really like that people are that high on Vargas. Wasn't sure if his bat was quick enough for him to keep moving along. Apparently a number of you think it is.

Nice.
    I'm on a whiskey diet. I've lost 3 days already.

The Twins definitely saw a bat in Bargas, even though he is blocked at first by Mauer, now. Look for Turner to maybe even make us forget about Pinto.

I'm hoping for a breakout season from Travis Harrison, Levin Michael and Alex Wimmers. Of course, we all want to see Aaron Hicks be the 4-tool player he was hyped to be.

Berrios is someone to watch.

And I secretly always felt B.J. Hermsen had major league back-of-the-rotation material. I hope he pulls his act together and pulls a Perkins rather than a Slama.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Brett Lee will establish himself as a strong pitching prospect in the system with his consistency and ability to get outs (AA by seasons end); Matt Thomshaw knows how to pitch and will surprise in his AA debut; Although a breakout prospect in 2013 - Adam Brett Walker will improve his BB rate and put up solid production numbers as he advances through AA by years end. Possible September Call Up

Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Polanco will take advantage of Rosario suspension and surprise faster than expected.

13. This user likes lightfoot789's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Steve Penz (12-04-2013)

Member Single-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would hope that Hudson Boyd learns to be a strong starting pitcher, and I Hope Harrison adds more poser and at least 25 points to his batting average. The other breakout player needs to be Corey Williams.

Two others to keep an eye on are the Florida high school outfielder taken around round 20 a couple of years ago and summers at AA (also hope Baxendale improves at AA).

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Good stuff you guys! I'm watching Turner, Eades, and May.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsoholic View Post
    Two others to keep an eye on are the Florida high school outfielder taken around round 20 a couple of years ago and summers at AA (also hope Baxendale improves at AA).
    Zach Larson? Yeah. He is a lot like Joe Benson but will a little less range at CF, but he projects. Excellent 2013. 2014 would be an interesting season in Cedar Rapids.

thoughts on Gibson, Hendricks, Wimmers, Logan

How about Gibson, Wimmers, Hendricks, Logan, etc. when might the Twins move these guys...

Gibson, Hendricks, Wimmers, Logan, Boyd all should move up....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Who do you see as breakout candidates in the Twins farm system?

Pitchers: I like Brett Lee and Jorge Felix.

hitters: I think Kepler will have a big year and Stuart Turner could surprise with the bat.

who do you think will take a big step forward as a prospect in 2014?
    I like these 2 picks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I'm not understanding the optimism with Turner. He was a 3rd rd (projected lower) college catcher with a defensive rep. If I was picking a catching breakout then it would be Navaretto. He had makeup issues so he dropped but he has quite a bit of raw skill.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgoat_MN View Post
    This is a fun thread.

I really like that people are that high on Vargas. Wasn't sure if his bat was quick enough for him to keep moving along. Apparently a number of you think it is.

Nice.
    That, along with his slow feet and poor footwork remain questions, but he does have power from both sides of the plate. He's a DH.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    And I secretly always felt B.J. Hermsen had major league back-of-the-rotation material. I hope he pulls his act together and pulls a Perkins rather than a Slama.
    I'm with you. I think he was more affected by the oblique injury he had in spring training. He needs impeccable control and movement and I think he lost those things. He's a hard worker, and I think he'll be OK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast