Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twins turn attention to Phil Hughes?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    That's a pretty superficial analysis of both Hughes and Yankee Stadium.

Hughes is basically the WORST kind of pitcher for that stadium. He's a righty, which means lefties have an advantage against him. Which means lefties also get to take advantage of that stadium's ridiculously short RF porch. While not horrible at missing bats, he's not particularly good at it either so that doesn't help him out.

And Hughes is a flyball dominant pitcher. Of course he's going to get killed in New York. He has almost the exact opposite profile of the guy you want pitching in that stadium... Everything about that place is working against him.
    Comerica & US Cellular say hello...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Im ok with Hughes, he is an upgrade & should be a little better outside Yankee stadium but I do think so many games in Comerica & US Cellular negate some of that.

I'd preffer Arroyo or Capuano slightly but if going after Hughes allows them to add a bat I can see how that would work.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,594 Times in 829 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    The Twins play 81 games in Target Field.

The Twins play a combined 18-20 games in Comerica and US Cellular.

I'd rather have Kazmir, if we're talkin 2 year deals. We need a decent leftie in the rotation, right? He could probably even be had for less than Hughes. I haven't heard a peep about him in free agency, though. Has he been linked to any teams?

I'd be fine with Hughes, I'm just happy that the team is rumored to still be looking for another arm. Two new starters for the 2014 rotation means this team might have a shot at not being god-awful.

Senior Member Triple-A Dilligaf69's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Refresh my memory but isn't Hughes hurt alot??? Why do I remember that, maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I do know he's inconsistent but I'd take him for 1 or 2 yr cash friendly deal.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 667 Times in 377 Posts
    I'd have no problem going three years. He may get hurt or underperform, but he represents maybe the best chance to overachieve on the return on investment out of any starting pitcher on the market.

Let's hope these rumors are accurate.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we get Hughes on a 2 year 16 million contract and Salty on a 3 year 27-30 million that may leave enough money available to wait out the market and get a 3rd pitcher at a lower price like Capuano for 1 and 6-8 million or Arroyo on a 2 year 16 -18 million deal. Or some other pitcher on a discounted rate which is probably a little overkill on the staff but makes for a good problem to have.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Hughes does little for me. He is a back of the rotation starter that shouldn't find the rotation in the playoffs. The Twins have plenty of guys to fill that role, including Mr. Correia. If the Twins are going to sign another pitcher it needs to be someone with upside. Kazmir would fit the bill nicely. Josh Johnson was my first choice but that ship has sailed.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 489 Times in 285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Approximately half his starts will be at Target Canyon - he could be a good change-of-scene candidate.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd Be Ok With Hughes for something like

2 yrs , $ 15 M

or 1 Yr 7-8 Million.

But I'd rather have AJ Burnett

Burnett's FIP and XFIP last year, not to mention his K rate Were sooooo ridiculously good.

HOPEFULLY he's got 1 good year, like that, left in him.

Burnett on a 1 or 2 yr deal at almost any dollar figure I'd take over Phill Hughes

AJ Burnett is greater than : Garza, Jiminez, M. Tanaka? , E. Santana, T. Hudson, R. Nolasco and even Hughes, Kazmir, and Arroyo.

his K per 9 (~9.5) , K per Walk and his OPP batting average: 228 ...... are all so much better than these other guys (for the most part)

PLUS his low 3 ERA (3.38) was HIGHER than his fip and xfip, basically meaning Burnett may have gotten a little UNLUCKY last year. Burnett, similarly to Nolasco basically walks nobody.

I know it was the NL with the pirates. But AJ Burnett on a 1 yr. 14-15 Million dollar deal WOULD BE Great by me. Not sure if AJ would want to be a Twin....

He'd instantly become our ace.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I should mention that I think Ubaldo Jiminez and Mashiro Tanaka are better pitchers than A.J. Burnett , and Burnett is nearing 40. But on a 1 year deal I think Burnett is RIGHT with those other 2 and you CANNOT get either of those at anything NEAR a 1 yr. contract.
    Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
    2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-RK) 5. Nick Gordon (SS-RK) 6. J.O. Berrios (P-A) 7. Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8. Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 9. L. Thorpe (SP-RK) 10. Travis Harrison (3B-A) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-A+) 12. Trevor May (SP-AA) 13. Jorge Polanco (2B-A) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A) 15. Miguel Sulbaran (SP-A) Just Missed:P Zach Jones, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtung View Post
    Hughes does little for me. He is a back of the rotation starter that shouldn't find the rotation in the playoffs. The Twins have plenty of guys to fill that role, including Mr. Correia. If the Twins are going to sign another pitcher it needs to be someone with upside. Kazmir would fit the bill nicely. Josh Johnson was my first choice but that ship has sailed.
    That ship has sailed or sunk. Three 90 loss seasons in a row, and Ryan should sign a pitcher whose arm may fall off for 8M with a team option for 4M if he fails to make 7 starts.

I think Burnett has made it known that he's going to either resign with the Pirates or retire. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 115 Posts
    Jeeze, some of you guys are plain greedy. Hughes would be an unexpected boon, and more, the move would demonstrate a fundamental change in how (and how much) the Twins address their detriments.

Signing hughes doesn't require surrendering a pick, does it?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 173 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Phil Hughes' age and splits give him upside.

Signing another starter probably means at least one of Diamond, Deduno or Worley be DFA'd. I wouldn't do that for a Capuano, Arroyo, Pelfrey or Floyd.

With Hughes who will be 27 opening day it is different. He is younger than Deduno, Diamonds age and a year older than Worley. They do need to get 2 year + 1 option on the deal so that they can profit from any upside.

Sign big or sign no one.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Phil Hughes' age and splits give him upside.

Signing another starter probably means at least one of Diamond, Deduno or Worley be DFA'd. I wouldn't do that for a Capuano, Arroyo, Pelfrey or Floyd.

With Hughes who will be 27 opening day it is different. He is younger than Deduno, Diamonds age and a year older than Worley. They do need to get 2 year + 1 option on the deal so that they can profit from any upside.

Sign big or sign no one.
    This is a good point, the team probably will lose a pitcher if another pitcher is signed. Though I'd think it would be the less experienced Hendriks, Albers or Johnson. However if it was Diamond or Worley, the Twins could likely get some kind of return for one of them and DFA'ing them would force interested parties to work out a deal quickly. I'm guessing Hendriks, Albers or Johnson likely would not net a return. I think Deduno is safe from the way they hint a rotation spot is his to lose.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The fact that Hughes pitched for so many years in NYC under the greatest media pressure alive and did not suck or thrive is enough for me. He will probably feel like a new man and serve as an excellent leader for up and coming prospects. "Been There - Done That" type leader. Great Sign if possible. That would also allow the Twins to trade Worley, Diamond and Deduno for prospects or needed Vet.

On a side note: I would look into Furcal for 1 year deal if healthy. Another veteran leader who is a defensive upgrade and championship (been there) bat.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to Doogie Wolfson today, the Twins have not talked with Hughes' (or Arroyo's for that matter) reps for "over a week".

So nothing seems imminent. With turkey day yesterday, everyone ready to travel to Orlando this weekend and a major press conference (either in FL or MN) next week to present Nolasco, I doubt anything is going to happen before the Winter Meetings (well... they start on Monday)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

The joy of a two-year deal is that you really don't lose, especially at age 28, and a team ahs more of an ability to trade you.

If the Twins had signed Pelfrey to a 2-year deal, they would have a decent starter at a decent price for another year, or someone may have pulled the string and traded for him.

On a One Year deal, you have to produce. Can't predict that, unless you are Jack Morris signing with the Twins and going to the World Series.

Pelfrey is he perfect example. He pitched and got a decent salary, but right now he is a bubble pitcher. He may have to go with a two-year deal (as well Baker) for well under supposed value...but value nonetheless for the pitcher in question. I'm sure Liriano, although his agent is probably complaining, ended up happy with his situation.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast