Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twins turn attention to Phil Hughes?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    This is a good point, the team probably will lose a pitcher if another pitcher is signed. Though I'd think it would be the less experienced Hendriks, Albers or Johnson. However if it was Diamond or Worley, the Twins could likely get some kind of return for one of them and DFA'ing them would force interested parties to work out a deal quickly. I'm guessing Hendriks, Albers or Johnson likely would not net a return. I think Deduno is safe from the way they hint a rotation spot is his to lose.
    Worley, Diamond and Deduno are out of options. It is the 25 man or DFA. Any trade would be a sell low and the return would be little to nothing. Their lack of option will hurt any potential return.

I believe the others can and will be optioned.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Worley, Diamond and Deduno are out of options. It is the 25 man or DFA. Any trade would be a sell low and the return would be little to nothing. Their lack of option will hurt any potential return.

I agree with the "Sell Low" on Worley for several issues, mainly because he is younger and before his prime, has had success (in a bandbox) in the majors and has an excuse (being grossly out of shape that resulted in bad mechanics) for his 2013 performance.

Diamond's 2013 was exactly like his 2011, which, in combination to his non-exceptional arsenal, makes me think that 2012 was the aberration here and indeed all he is, is a replacement level pitcher. Diamond's issue is that he has only 3 pitches of which only one (curve ball) had been effective and above average in the past. If you lose the feel of that pitch in any season (like in 2013) bad things will happen, because you will start throwing below par stuff out there.

Denuno is a AAAA pitcher who had some success in an exhibition tournament (WBC) and has been replacement level in his MLB career, despite the First Scout, handing him practically a starting job, like he did with Diamond last off-season (and we know how that went.) He was 30 last season, his best in the majors, btw; however, if your best, at your prime, is about 1.5 K/BB along with a 14% K%, and a 4+ FIP you are replacement level.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 11-29-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Right. I'd be very surprised if Hendriks makes the team out of camp simply given that he still has an option. Gibson didn't exactly tear it up in the his first go and it's not hard at all to envision him starting the year back in AAA as well. Swarzak is out of options as well, so they'd lose someone even if one of Diamond, Worley, or Deduno swung into the long-man role. I'd make it an almost certainty that Gibby starts in AAA if another FA SP comes on board.

All that said, I'd still welcome a move for Hughes.

Liked 103 Times in 61 Posts
    Hughes would be a good signing but I think there are some guys they should pursue first. Kazmir should be the main target right now, they need a good lefty and he should be in a similar price range as Hughes. I would also rather have Garza or Arroyo but I kinda doubt they will they will sign another 25+ million pitcher.
    "Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

5. This user likes zchrz's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    ...I doubt anything is going to happen before the Winter Meetings (well... they start on Monday)
    Winter meetings aren't until the week after next, Dec. 9-12. Rule 5 draft is Dec. 12.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew0211 View Post
    Winter meetings aren't until the week after next, Dec. 9-12. Rule 5 draft is Dec. 12.
    Thanks for that. I guess I cannot wait
    -----

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    It will be a good sign when they don't have space on the roster for the Diamonds or Dedunos.

The Twins just need to make sure they are not giving the spots to marginal or decline phase pitchers that don't have upside or years of control.

Sign big or sign no one.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It will be a good sign when they don't have space on the roster for the Diamonds or Dedunos.

The Twins just need to make sure they are not giving the spots to marginal or decline phase pitchers that don't have upside or years of control.

Sign big or sign no one.
    Diamond after last year... OK... But...

I don't get the Deduno reference. I'm a Sam Fan... I hope he's healthy and in the rotation and I expect big things if he is.

Deduno can pitch... He has actual stuff that can confound a hitter and I believe he has shown that to all of us watching.

I guess... I just don't understand.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

10. These 2 users like Riverbrian's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-30-2013), Tibs (11-30-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Sign Hughes, trade for Bailey.

Sign Garza for Ricky+ money and sign Navarro accordingly. Let the market develop for Hughes and/or Kazmir.

Garza
    Kazmir
    Nolasco
    Correia
    Gibson

I could really get behind that.

13. This user likes AHSaves's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-30-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Worley, Diamond and Deduno have all pitched better than Hughes in the majors, more recently. It doesn't mean they will in the future, but Hughes is a gamble as well. He will also be a more expensive gamble. Again, I can see why the Twins might sign him, I just won't be very surprised if he isn't very good. He hasn't been for 3 years.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
    Worley, Diamond and Deduno have all pitched better than Hughes in the majors, more recently.
    When and how are you measuring? No way. Maybe Worley for a single season.
    -----

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Hughes really hasn't been very good during the last couple of years but I would definitely sign him for 2/15 with a 12M option. The 12M option might look a little expensive but it's actually the key to the deal. Hughes has intriguing upside and a change of scenery could turn him into a sneaky good pitcher. In some ways he reminds me of everyone's favorite - Homer Bailey. Both of these guys were up at 21 and have struggled. Bailey figured things out in the last two years but Hughes hasn't yet. With a little luck the Twins could land a 3.75 ERA pitcher on the cheap locked up for 3 yrs. Or he might continue to suck and the Twins are out an entire 15M. And they maintain a lot of flexibility to bid big on Bailey or someone else next season.

Nolasco
    Correia
    Hughes
    Deduno/Diamond/Worley/reclamation project
    Deduno/Diamond/Worley/reclamation project

AAA - Gibson and Meyer - something should open up by June for one of these two. Or before.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Sign Hughes, trade for Bailey.
    Ok what do you think it would take to get him , and how much will it take to sign him?

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I think Hughes has more upside than Worley, Deduno and Diamond.

Looking at his career, I may be wrong. I may be seeing him as the prospect he was once long ago.

Signing him and needing to DFA one or two of the above may be a mistake. It will cost them in dollars and more importantly service time.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts

Looking at his career, I may be wrong. I may be seeing him as the prospect he was once long ago.

Signing him and needing to DFA one or two of the above may be a mistake. It will cost them in dollars and more importantly service time.
    I can't understand your post. He has more upside but it would be a mistake to DFA one the average at best guys? And service time isn't an issue with any of the 4 pitchers mentioned.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Being worried about losing Worley, Deduno, or Diamond is actually a sign of progress. One makes the rotation, one becomes long man, one goes on DL? Kris Johnson, and his 3 options, was brought in to address this possibility. It will work itself out.
    Last edited by howieramone; 11-30-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Ok what do you think it would take to get him , and how much will it take to sign him?
    Rosario/or Perkins(doubt the latter happens), Gibson and a lower prospect or two for Bailey.

6/100 mil to Bailey.

Sign Hughes to Kabs deal above, the third year option is the key.

Bailey
    Nolasco
    Hughes

Moving foward is nice, you can fill out 4/5 with cheap in house options.(Meyer, deduno, diamond, Worley,correia for this year, etc)

Edit: I'd also try to get that catcher from the reds as well. Additionally, if they wanted an immediate back end arm for the rotation, toss in correia as well. Though he doesn't do much for the overall value.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 11-30-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Diamond at best is a #5 starter at this point, losing him would be a bummer but not killer.

Worley is....intriguing, if he shows something in ST give him a shot.

Deduno is prob a #5 at best as well.

Give me Hughes over any of them any day.

Besides if Worley is a mess, would anyone claim him and give him a major league roster spot anyways? I'm pretty sure the whole thing will work itself out

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    DFAing anyone would be a mistake. We'll need all these guys; we're likely to use as many as ten starters for various reasons. Having even mediocre depth at AAA is a boon, whether that be Worley or Diamond, both are worth holding onto, given their past success.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast