Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aaron Hicks

Hicks finished June w/.309/.406/.455 1hr 7rbi 13k 9bb in 16gms despite missing 9gms with an ankle injury.
    vs RHP .246/.350/.395 in 167ABs
    vs LHP .299/.365/.463 in 67ABs

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 186 Times in 114 Posts
    Hicks has had a nice little run and is now hitting .261/.353/.415/ on the year. He has 10 2b, 3 triples and 7 homers. As greengoblin noted, he had a strong June and hopefully that carries over to July. Last year, Hicks posted an OPS over .900 in June and July before injuring his thumb, so maybe that continues.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    His BA against RHP is slowly climbing. The fact that his OBP from the left side is only 15 points different than the right side tells me there is no reason to table his switch hitting asperations.

Also very happy with the 18steals.....3 short of season high......2 yesterday leads me to believe the ankle is good

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    His BA against RHP is slowly climbing. The fact that his OBP from the left side is only 15 points different than the right side tells me there is no reason to table his switch hitting asperations.
    I'm not a 100% sure I agree on that premise, although that's not the same as disagreeing. He takes more walks but that might also be a symptom of taking too many hittable pitches. Scouts have said he looks too passive at the plate at times and I wonder if he's scared to swing and would rather walk when he's hitting from the left side.

Aaron tied his career high with his 8th HR Fri nite. His current .429 slgg would be his full season career best & he's 3 SBs away from his career best. Think he's goin under the radar for most fans. Is he finally reaching his potential??
    His splits are getting closer to bein legit as against RHP he's not .251/.355/.402 vs LHP.300/.367/.488

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
    If he's at his floor already (4th outfielder, pitch runner in the bigs) and his "most likely outcome" is a MLB regular, lets say low double digits in SB's and HR while play center. His all-star potential is still a possibility.

All Star break with Hicks finishing with a 3-4 w/bb & HR
    Since returning from ankle injury...21gms 29/83 .349/.426/.578 20runs 2doubles 4triples 3hr 11rbi 10bb 22k 2/5sb
    overall 78gms .275/.365/.446 51runs 10doubles 5triples 9HR 38rbi 41bb 72k 19/27sb's
    vs LHP 82ABs .305/.370/.488 vs RHP 194ABs .263/.364/.428
    He is no doubt moving back into elite status as a prospect.....IMO pushing Sano for top spot if he keeps this up for next 7 wks

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    All Star break with Hicks finishing with a 3-4 w/bb & HR
    Since returning from ankle injury...21gms 29/83 .349/.426/.578 20runs 2doubles 4triples 3hr 11rbi 10bb 22k 2/5sb
    overall 78gms .275/.365/.446 51runs 10doubles 5triples 9HR 38rbi 41bb 72k 19/27sb's
    vs LHP 82ABs .305/.370/.488 vs RHP 194ABs .263/.364/.428
    He is no doubt moving back into elite status as a prospect.....IMO pushing Sano for top spot if he keeps this up for next 7 wks
    Adding to this, at the break the 22 year old Hicks is (among qualified leaders)

t-3rd in EL in triples (5)
    t-5th in runs (51)
    6th in stolen bases (19)
    7th in walks (41)
    13th in OBP (.365)
    t-18th in HR (9)
    23rd in total bases (123)
    24th in slg (.446)

And keep in mind that many of the players ahead of him are 4-6 years older.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    Really, many of the AA leaders ar 28? Wow, I had no idea. Hicks does appear to be improving during the year, that should always be the goal. I have moves from disappointed to slightly optimistic on him this year. The slg split is still high, but maybe it will close. I am als really happy with the stolen bases this year.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Really, many of the AA leaders ar 28? Wow, I had no idea. Hicks does appear to be improving during the year, that should always be the goal. I have moves from disappointed to slightly optimistic on him this year. The slg split is still high, but maybe it will close. I am als really happy with the stolen bases this year.
    Six of the top seven players leading the EL in HR are between 25 and 28. 9 of the top 10 in OBP are between 25-28. MiLB has the league leaders but only qualified and without ages. Baseball reference has ages but a much more liberal cutoff. Still, it's something to go with.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
    Wow, just, wow. I had no idea that the leaders were that old in AA. That really changes my thoughts on some of the younger guys in AA (not just Twins).
    Lighten up Francis....

New Brits chris collabello..28...& evan bigley...26....are 1/2 in rbi in the lg

I just did some quick math (which is always subject to verification) and I come up with 20 players at Beloit older than Hicks, 18 players at Fort Myers older than Hicks and 22 players at New Britain older than him. The only ones with the RockCats younger than Hicks are Arcia and Hermsen. So I think the kid is doing all right.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
    Good to see him doing so well, very much a subtle breakout. He is added to the 40 man this summer, I imagine the plan will be to start him in the minors, but he is very much on pace to be up midseason next year. From all accounts he still is a plus defender in CF with a plus arm.

I had him at #2 going into the season, and he is now no worse than 5, which isn't really a knock on him as much as it is that the Twins now have 5 legitimately good hitting prospects, 6 if you want to count Harrison and 7 if you think Benson can come back.

Senior Member All-Star
    Well, not a lot has changed since the last update but Hicks has had a nice July and is now hitting .275/.365/.437 w/9 homers, a career high for him. His strike out rate is also at a career high - 22% - and his walk rate is at a low - 12%. But this might be a good thing. The knock on Hicks had been that he was too patient and looking for walks, now it seems he might be finding his pitch. His isolated power - .162 - is his best since rookie ball. He's certainly starting to have the season a lot of us were hoping for. His OPS by month has been .824 (April) .660 (May) .801 (June) .979 (July) so he's really had one bad month and three solid or better months. And his splits are continuing to improve so let's hope that this continues. If he keeps this up he should be back in the top prospect rankings again.

after an argueably disappointing season by Sano, Hicks in some eyes may have repassed Miguel already. Both were in Beloit at age 19 & both struggled. Hopefully it doesnt take Miguel this long to see his talent take hold (has played well past since benching) as Hicks is now a verified prospect ready for the majors.....in 6wks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    after an argueably disappointing season by Sano, Hicks in some eyes may have repassed Miguel already. Both were in Beloit at age 19 & both struggled. Hopefully it doesnt take Miguel this long to see his talent take hold (has played well past since benching) as Hicks is now a verified prospect ready for the majors.....in 6wks.
    It might be a stretch to say Sano is having a disappointing season. From BA today:

• (MPLS): Is Miguel Sano having a disappointing season?

Jim Callis: Not at all. He hasn't maintained his fast start, but he's showing tremendous power in the Midwest League at age 19. We knew coming in that he needed to make more contact and improve his defense, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

But, if Hicks doesn't crash in Aug, I do think he'll be a top prospect again. Probably not as high as Sano (sitting in the 20 range) but certainly in the top 100 again.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    It might be a stretch to say Sano is having a disappointing season. From BA today:

• (MPLS): Is Miguel Sano having a disappointing season?

Jim Callis: Not at all. He hasn't maintained his fast start, but he's showing tremendous power in the Midwest League at age 19. We knew coming in that he needed to make more contact and improve his defense, so that shouldn't be a surprise.

But, if Hicks doesn't crash in Aug, I do think he'll be a top prospect again. Probably not as high as Sano (sitting in the 20 range) but certainly in the top 100 again.
    I said argueably....knew that would draw some harsh comments but he HAS been very good the past 20gms since the ASBreak.....thought it was from his mini/benching or injury (depends on who you believe).

Hicks stole his 21st base today tying his career high. Highs in HRs & SBs so far & on pace for highs in XBHs/runs/hits.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hicks just homered moments ago. Now 4-4 in the game with a HR, a double and 2 singles. Will get at least one more chance to try for that cycle. Have a day Aaron Hicks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast