Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Twins CAN afford Garza, Nolasco, & Salty...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins CAN afford Garza, Nolasco, & Salty...

Nolasco signing at 12 mill per, its safe to assume it would take about 15-16 mill per year over 5 to get Garza. Salty reportedly would accept the 1st 3/30 offer he received. If the Twins signed all 3 counting Mauer, they are commiting 60 Million to 4 players over the next 3 years. That sounds like an absurd amount to have comitted to only 4 players.

How is it possible to afford that? They have another $20 million coming off the books in 2015 losing Willingham, Corriea, Burton, Doumit, & Duensing.

With the new $25M a year TV money a $100 million annual payroll isnt out of the question, that leaves 40 million to fill out the rest of the roster. Normally that would be impossible to field a competitor. What makes it very possible is the big wave of prospects & young position players the Twins have on their way. They can fill the other 17-21 roster spots with players on rookie contracts easily. I could see Arcia, Sano, Buxton & Meyer all being super 2 candidates but that is still 3 years down the road.

C Salty - 10M
    1B Mauer - 23M
    2B Dozier 2 years pre arb remaining - (Jorge Polanco)
    SS Florimon 2 years pre arb remaining - (Danny Santana)
    3B Sano 3 years pre arb remaining - (Matt Harrison)
    LF Rosario 3 years pre arb remaining
    CF Buxton 3 years pre arb remaining
    RF Hicks 3 years pre arb remaining - (Max Kepler)
    DH Arcia 2 years pre arb remaining

SP Garza - 15M
    SP Nolasco - 12M
    SP Deduno - 1 year pre arb remaining
    SP Albers - 2 years pre arb remaining
    SP Meyer - 3 years pre arb remaining
    SP Gibson - 2 years pre arb remaining
    SP May - 3 years pre arb remaining

BP Swarzak 2 arb years remaining
    BP Fien 1 year pre arb remaining
    BP Pressley 2 years pre arb remaining
    BP Theilbar 2 years pre arb remaining
    BP Tonkin 3 years pre arb remaining
    BP Jones 3 years pre arb remaining

Being able to fill 7 of the 9 position & 7-10 pitchers with players under their rookie contracts is almost unprecedented. Having potential #1 Alex Meyer very close to being in the majors & slotting him as your #3 starter while having options galore with your 4-5 starters still under rookie contracts.

The Twins could easily have room going forward to afford a trio of Garza, Nolasco, Salty plus a stopgap LF such as Rajai Davis until Rosario takes over LF. Those signings alone instantly put the Twins in the crosshairs to compete for the division in 2014 & beyond.

Where is Perkins? You missed him and his $3.75M.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    and Burton and Plouffe is a Super Two and you're assuming we just cut loose all of the others. If Correia pitches like he did last year, I could see the Twins keeping him around.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would love to get Garza. Getting Saltalamacchia would be good as well, but it's no skin off my back if that doesn't happen.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    There's no reason that a playoff contender couldn't have a payroll well over 100M. But I highly doubt the Twins are signing a more expensive FA this winter.

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    There's no reason that a playoff contender couldn't have a payroll well over 100M. But I highly doubt the Twins are signing a more expensive FA this winter.
    This. If we are signing a catcher, it shouldn't be for long term. Pinto looks really good, at least in my opinion.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Sounds like Hughes is down to just a few teams, the Twins included. He wants a deal around the 2/$16m range. I'd almost prefer that to Garza. See if we can have a modest success with FA this season. Maybe we'll go in even harder in the future when we're closer to contending.

If the Twins will give the type of contracts they have to the Corriea's and Pelfry's of the world, they should jump at the chance to sign Hughes to a 2/16m contract. If we like what we see, extend him, if not, it's just 2 years and it's time for Meyer, May, Gonsalves etc...