Thread: Robinson Cano: Why Not?

Robinson Cano: Why Not?

Let me start by saying, the Twins need starting pitching. We know that. Highest priority. Baseball is a business, while I suspect many of the better pitchers don't consider the Twins because they aren't very good right now. Money matters, but going to a futile team isn't the best either considering things pretty equal. I can see why this is challenging and agree that home-grown talent is very good, so keep building the minor league depth. Twins thirst for ace type starters.

I haven't seen the Twins linked to Cano in any articles. Why not? Yep, Twins have Dozier and the kid in the minors (converted OF), while sometimes doing something un-conventional may just change the game. Cano representatives apparently need a dance partner to make the Yankees sweat a bit. Why not? It doesn't cost anything to finish 2nd and if you win, how would that change things at Target Field? Think about how it could maybe change the Yankee intimidation that seems to exist?

6-4-3 of Sano to Cano to Maurer sounds pretty good to me.

Talk amongst yourselves.

2. This user likes TFelton's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-28-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Nah

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    I've read that left handed power bats don't do as well at Target Field. If that's the case, I don't see him being tens of millions of dollars better than Dozier.

5. This user likes Tibs's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    If we sign Cano, at $25-$30MM a year for 10 years and keep Mauer at $23MM/yr and Nolasco at $12MM/yr we'd have to trade Willingham, Doumit, Correia and Perkins. We wouldn't be able to sign anyone else, be hamstrung for a decade (as our youngsters come of age and the rest of the payroll increases) and our starting rotation would be something like Nolasco, Deduno, Gibson, Worley and Diamond. I'll pass, thanks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    It's the kind of move that you make if you are a 85-90+ win team and want to get serious about the playoffs. There's a chance that a 25+M/yr Cano completely wrecks your team's finances in the second half of the contract. For example the Rangers could sign him and trade Profar for Price and enter the season as World Series favorites (or close to it). Even with Cano the Twins will struggle for a couple of years.

8. This user likes kab21's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Can this Cano guy pitch? I'll hang up and listen.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

10. These 2 users like Jdosen's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-28-2013), Riverbrian (11-29-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    If your going to do something like that may i suggest lookong at Kemp from L.A. they are looking to trade an outfielder and would be willing to eat some of his contract, not sure what we would have that they want, but he would fill a need for the team,Not that Cano wouldnt, but like others have said , Me thinks Canos power numbers fall while playing 81 games at target field

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cano doesn't make sense for the Twins. Brian Dozier, if his 2nd half numbers can be believed, is the poor man's Cano. Cano will not give the Twins 20+million dollars more value than Dozier. It seems like a no brainer to stay away from that hot mess. I do, however, like to imagine Terry Ryan and Jay-Z wheeling and dealing. Jay-Z is a professional hustler. Terry Ryan is... well, we know what Terry Ryan is.

13. This user likes Paul Pleiss's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (11-29-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    Cano wants a $300 million deal and his agent is Jay Z. While he won't get a deal that size, this request and his association with the musician might suggest he would never come to flyover country, even if the Twins had the highest offer out there. At least not until Jimmy Jam gets into the agent business.

Besides, does anyone really want to give this guy 8-10 years? I want nothing to do with paying this guy $25 million plus for his age 35-40 seasons. It will be looking like a pretty terrible contract probably by it's halfway point.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you guys even watch Cano play? Go read the Yankee fans' blogs: they don't want Cano, not at that price, even though the Yankees are stacked with cash and in need at 2B. Go read their comments. He does not play the game the right way. He doesn't run hard. Ever. He non-chalants everything in the field. OK, he's maybe the best ever at throwing across his body while running away from 1B, but, in virtually every other aspect of the game, he is not a leader, but a cool cat who gives the impression he could care less about the outcome of the game. That's not someone you mortgage your organization for.

If they could trade mauer i'd sign cano for $25m/yr. Cant have them both but def prefer cano.

Senior Member All-Star
    There is no way that Dozier is a poor man's Cano.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Robinson Cano is a fantastic all around baseball player. Not only can he hit... He can play the position extremely well.

Very few players are worth the big dollars in my mind. Cano is one of those who is worth it.

As for 2014... I'm very happy with Dozier and Florimon working the middle of the field... I think we can win with those guys... I really do.

Right now... I'm just not sure if we can win with Willingham, Doumit, Parmelee and Plouffe. Those are the guys who have to dig themselves out of 2013 and play 2014 with much more energy, passion and POWER!!!
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

19. This user likes Riverbrian's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (11-29-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Let the Yankees make this HUGE mistake. Anyone that signs him will be making a mistake. No way does he live up to his contract for more than a few year. I hope they sign him AND can't get out of the A-Rod contract. Look at all of the mega-deals that have been signed recently: Puljos, Hamilton, A-Rod, Jeter, which are all position players and are not worth the money (except Jeter with his Mauer effect for the franchise).

21. This user likes Twins Twerp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ChiTownTwinsFan (11-29-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Let the Yankees make this HUGE mistake. Anyone that signs him will be making a mistake. No way does he live up to his contract for more than a few year. I hope they sign him AND can't get out of the A-Rod contract. Look at all of the mega-deals that have been signed recently: Puljos, Hamilton, A-Rod, Jeter, which are all position players and are not worth the money (except Jeter with his Mauer effect for the franchise).
    It's an unfortunate choice that teams have to make in FA. Usually the last 1-2 yrs of a 4-5 yr contract are poor values. when you double the length then you double (or more) the decline part but good teams need to make a choice to go for it and sign top FA's. This is of course why the Twins shouldn't sign him.