Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Agree To Deal With Ricky Nolasco

Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
    It was a wise move by Terry Ryan to sign a bona fide starting pitcher, even if he's not a true ace. However, Ryan needs to sign at least one more quality pitcher. Anything after that would be a bonus (e.g. signing a 3rd pitcher and / or a position player).

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I'm a big WAR guy, but I still feel WAR doesn't fully appreciate innings pitched. The strange thing is that a pitcher who pitches 200 innings greatly decreases the amount of innings pitched by (typically) below-replacement level sixth and seventh starters.
    Is there a stat for "keeping the long reliever out of the game"

Liked 397 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    Am I the only jerk on here who feels that this move has made us World Series contenders? Am I wrong for feeling that way? Should I feel guilty and ashamed?
    you should not feel guilty, embrace fandom for what it is. That's why we're commenting on a 96 loss baseball team's blog in November.

I don't agree, but I support.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Very odd that you suddenly come around to WAR all of sudden, when less than 24 hours ago you were completely ignoring it in regards to Pelfrey who you called terrible and "Hendriks could put up equal numbers" even though Pelfrey put up 9.2 WAR over his last 5 full seasons. (including last year)

Additionally you were telling us all how Doumit could be expected to outproduce Salty overall at catcher, when a quick glance at WAR shows us that in the last year Salty beat Doumit in WAR 3.6 to 0.1, in the last two years: 4.5 to 1.5 and in the last 3 years: 7.1 to 3.4

I'm not saying WAR is the end all be all stat (never have) but its a little odd you suddenly only respond to this signing, by using WAR as your only rebuttal, when you have done nothing but dismissed it time and time again very recently when it conveniently didn't fit your narrative.
    Dismissed WAR?? Uh, never. I prefer BRs version, though. Pelfrey's WAR for the past 5 seasons is 3.3 or something like that. Nolasco's 6.1.

And where did I say anything like that about Doumit and Salty? I have wanted Doumit gone for *months* and have said that I wanted the Twins to go big Salty or not bother at all at that position.

Anyway, it's as though you have me confused with someone else. We have argued about the different WARs, yes.

I don't really understand the love affair with this move. The train ain't rollin'. People seem to be jumping to the conclusion that the Twins are going to keep adding FA SPs. It's pretty doubtful.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nolasco seems to be a pretty good choice. Since what is available is mid rotation starters, it is nice they picked one who has been pretty consistently good. I would rather see 3 years, but I doubt if they had much choice in that. I expect another decent starter, then it is up to the holdovers and kids coming up to make a good rotation. Which it always was, there was never enough talent out there to buy a post season rotation.

The key for me is that I can envision Nolasco pitching on a playoff roster - albeit probably as the #4 on a competitive playoff roster. I'm fairly certain I would not have been comfortable saying that about any of the other FA pitching signings these past few years.

Hopefully some combination of Meyer, Gibson and Deduno can grow into playoff roster-caliber pitchers as well.

Personally, I don't like the cost-to-upside ratio of the other FA pitchers. As much as I'd hate to see some of the promising prospects go, the best way to add another solid piece to a future playoff roster is probably via trade.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephrin View Post
    The key for me is that I can envision Nolasco pitching on a playoff roster - albeit probably as the #4 on a competitive playoff roster. I'm fairly certain I would not have been comfortable saying that about any of the other FA pitching signings these past few years.

Hopefully some combination of Meyer, Gibson and Deduno can grow into playoff roster-caliber pitchers as well.

Personally, I don't like the cost-to-upside ratio of the other FA pitchers. As much as I'd hate to see some of the promising prospects go, the best way to add another solid piece to a future playoff roster is probably via trade.
    I see it the same way. If we fill another spot in the projected 2015 rotation this winter, it will be via trade. I hate to see us deal our young prospects, but Berrios, Thorpe, Polanco, and Kepler have to be attractive to the right suitor.

Like Shane I am not a big fan of this signing. Its OK--not great. What is Nolasco--an innings eater yes, an ace--no. On a playoff team he is a number 4 starter. Is he better than anybody the Twins have now--maybe. His career numbers are basically 190-200 IP a year with an ERA of 4.37. Last year Corriea threw 185 innings with an ERA of 4.18. Pretty similar.

It will help with the pen--good. As somebody suggested maybe we can reduce our pen and add an extra bench guy which is good when the minor injuries crop up.

Nolasco is 31 (or will be soon)--so is starting the downside of his career. He has only been an NL pitcher so not used to facing DH instead of pitcher. I am not a fan of WAR I will admit. As to FIP--we have to remember that Twins defense is below average--with Willingham, Doumit, Arcia in the corners and Presley in CF--a lot of flies turn into singles and singles into doubles. I would be very surprised if Nolasco has a winning record in 2014 or an ERA much lower than Correia. This probably adds 3-4 wins to our total at best. I hope in the third year of this contract (2016) Nolasco is a 4 starter (if on the team) behind the likes of Meyer, Stewart, Gonsalves, Thorpe, Barrios etc.

My other worry is if Twins sign another free agent--will money be available in 2016 for Sano, Buxton, Meyer etc.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As I have been very, very negative about the idea of TR actually stepping up and making this team really good, rather than just better, I have to applaud this signing.

It needs a Garza or a Kazmir to make it a real possibility that we could be competitive inside and outside of our division, but it is a promising start.

Kazmir/Garza
    Correia
    Nolasco
    Gibson
    Deduno/other guys

with Meyer sliding in when ready. Things could be looking pretty good.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Twitter
    @LoganTibbits
    Liked 203 Times in 123 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    Like Shane I am not a big fan of this signing. Its OK--not great. What is Nolasco--an innings eater yes, an ace--no. On a playoff team he is a number 4 starter. Is he better than anybody the Twins have now--maybe. His career numbers are basically 190-200 IP a year with an ERA of 4.37. Last year Corriea threw 185 innings with an ERA of 4.18. Pretty similar.

It will help with the pen--good. As somebody suggested maybe we can reduce our pen and add an extra bench guy which is good when the minor injuries crop up.

Nolasco is 31 (or will be soon)--so is starting the downside of his career. He has only been an NL pitcher so not used to facing DH instead of pitcher. I am not a fan of WAR I will admit. As to FIP--we have to remember that Twins defense is below average--with Willingham, Doumit, Arcia in the corners and Presley in CF--a lot of flies turn into singles and singles into doubles. I would be very surprised if Nolasco has a winning record in 2014 or an ERA much lower than Correia. This probably adds 3-4 wins to our total at best. I hope in the third year of this contract (2016) Nolasco is a 4 starter (if on the team) behind the likes of Meyer, Stewart, Gonsalves, Thorpe, Barrios etc.

My other worry is if Twins sign another free agent--will money be available in 2016 for Sano, Buxton, Meyer etc.
    I think you are missing the point that Nolasco instantly makes the starting rotation better. This also means that one more spot of the rotation won't be taken up by a AAAA or low quality pitcher. He doesn't turn us into a World Series contender, but it is a step closer.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    I think you are missing the point that Nolasco instantly makes the starting rotation better. This also means that one more spot of the rotation won't be taken up by a AAAA or low quality pitcher. He doesn't turn us into a World Series contender, but it is a step closer.
    Take out 32 starts from some of those AAAA pitchers and insert rickys and it is a vast difference , Yes Curly Did Good ....To be honest , there were no F.A. pitchers this off season that made me giddy , But this signing at those dollars is a big step in the right direction ..Thanks Terry keep it going,Now sign Kazmir,Garza ,Chavez and Navarro. But take time to have a happy thanks giving

12. This user likes johnnydakota's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (11-28-2013)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 330 Times in 208 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interestingly, Carlos Silva signed almost the exact same contract (4/48 plus an option) with Seattle after 2007 (although with inflation, that might be equivalent to 4/56 now?). At the time, Silva was 2 years younger than Nolasco is now, and he had a 102 ERA+ and averaged 193 IP and 2.2 bWAR as a starter, with ERA generally matching his FIP. Nolasco has a 95 ERA+ and averaged 192 IP and 1.8 bWAR (most of that bWAR coming in 2008, fWAR: 3.2 average).

Kyle Lohse's 4 full seasons with the Twins: 99 ERA+, 189 IP and 1.9 bWAR average (2.3 fWAR), tracking 4 years younger than Nolasco.

Suggests both Lohse and Silva were underrated, particularly Lohse who was unceremoniously dumped at age 27. Hopefully Nolasco tracks closer to Lohse than Silva over the next 4-5 years!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Slight edit to the post above: it's rWAR not bWAR.

I wasn't a fan of Nolasco as well, due to performance. I like FIP and xFIP and I think it's important to look at, but after a certain amount of time, you are who you are.

I thought I'd do a little digging however on why his secondary numbers translated better to his actual performance in 2013. I stumbled upon this.. http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ric...s-career-year/.

The few things I took away is that..
    - using his slider more
    - changed his fastball approach
    - slightly changed his arm angle

So there's a good chance that he figured some things out, rather than it just being luck.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 42 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    I see it the same way. If we fill another spot in the projected 2015 rotation this winter, it will be via trade. I hate to see us deal our young prospects, but Berrios, Thorpe, Polanco, and Kepler have to be attractive to the right suitor.
    None of those listed will bring much of value back this winter. They are all too far away and not highly enough thought of to have much value. They are the guys you throw in to push the deal over the top. They're flyers. The center piece of a trade would have to be Perkins, Buxton, Sano, Meyer, Rosario or Arcia, perhaps Dozier or Pinto. Depending of course on who the pitcher coming back is.

do they have to cut someone?

Quote Originally Posted by lee_the_twins_fan View Post
    OK, the Twins signed Ricky Nolasco. I think it's a very good signing, but I have a question. The Twins had 39 players on their 40-player roster. With just a few days until the Rule 5 draft, will the Twins drop someone from the roster to draft someone, or will they wait until after Nolasco passes a physical exam? Either way, I figure the team will soon have to drop one or more from the roster. Who will that be?
    couldn't they just wait till after the Rule 5 draft to sign Nolasco?

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Fangraphs did some crowdsource predictions of the free agent market -- and Nolasco was pegged at 4/50:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/fangr...free-agents/#7

Of course, the same exercise also has Ervin Santana at 3/39 which seems absurdly low. Garza (4/59), Jimenez (4/49), Kazmir (2/17), and Hughes (2/16) seem pretty realistic, however.

Also, fWAR was the stat of choice presented with each free agent, so that probably skewed things in Nolasco's favor a bit.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by by jiminy View Post
    couldn't they just wait till after the Rule 5 draft to sign Nolasco?
    I suspect that is what will happen -- contracts often aren't officially confirmed/announced for several weeks after (it makes for a confusing read at MLBTR sometimes!).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts
    Couple of ways to look at this signing- personally, I like it.
    Twins didn't overpay in a thin market when we're desperate to improve.
    Innings-eater who stands to benefit in TF? What's not to like if this is just Step 1?

Also noted that this is the biggest FA signing in club history.
    Is Mr. "FA is not the way" TR under orders?
    Reports I'm seeing is that Twins are being extremely aggressive this offseason.
    That's music to my ears, and represents a sea change for the club- good. Finally!

As a 3x90+ loser, there's no way we're a go-to destination for FA SPs.
    Gotta be realistic, folks. We have to build a bridge, otherwise we can't get there from here.
    This is a serious step in the right direction.

I've stated previously that the Twins have to pony up just to get in the conversation with decent FAs. As it happens, we're relatively flush with cash now, and can still afford another arm (or two, I hope).

This was a good buy, better than a trade w/prospects moving on.
    We've got a good farm w/depth & will see Buxton, Sano, etc. making the transition in '14.
    My greatest worry to date been that habitual Scrooge TR was not inclined to spend to put together a credible rotation to support them.

My gut tells me that TR has seen the writing on the wall, knows he's painted himself into a corner, and has no option but to go out there, spend for once, and get deals done. I expect another SP signing nothing spectacular- esp. given this market- and then maybe a serious play for Salty. Not a fan of him, but whatever. We need a couple of good arms and depth at C wouldn't hurt, though I want to see Pinto get a clear shot in '14.

TR's job is on the line, IMO, and if they don't make moves like this to put together a credible starting rotation, then we will continue to be stuck in the AAAA mode of drafting well/developing, then losing our good players to FA. I for one am sick of that "model". If mid-market teams like the Cards (and '13 KC were credible) can put together contenders year after year, then why not the Twins? Something does not compute.

Bottom line: Twins have a cash cow in Target Field, moved a lot of bucks off the books, and have the $25m TV money coming in. There are no excuses not to spend now. Twins fans are on the verge of open revolt, and not making serious moves risks alienating the fan base and killing the golden goose, TF. We're a repeat loser shopping in a crappy market and have no choice but to suck it up and spend now. Next offseason should see a better SP FA market.

The last thing I want to see is Twins flogging Buxton jerseys in '14 (I can hear Dick Bremer now) with a crap rotation & no chance to win. Welcome to the bigs, you're hung out to dry?
    No thanks.

When you're worse than even the 'Stros (good God!)- at the bottom of all MLB in ERA, there's only one way to go- up. This is a good deal. Hope they keep it going.

20. This user likes BigTrane's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Hosken Bombo Disco (11-28-2013)

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Interestingly, Carlos Silva signed almost the exact same contract (4/48 plus an option) with Seattle after 2007 (although with inflation, that might be equivalent to 4/56 now?). At the time, Silva was 2 years younger than Nolasco is now, and he had a 102 ERA+ and averaged 193 IP and 2.2 bWAR as a starter, with ERA generally matching his FIP. Nolasco has a 95 ERA+ and averaged 192 IP and 1.8 bWAR (most of that bWAR coming in 2008, fWAR: 3.2 average).

Kyle Lohse's 4 full seasons with the Twins: 99 ERA+, 189 IP and 1.9 bWAR average (2.3 fWAR), tracking 4 years younger than Nolasco.

Suggests both Lohse and Silva were underrated, particularly Lohse who was unceremoniously dumped at age 27. Hopefully Nolasco tracks closer to Lohse than Silva over the next 4-5 years!
    Closer to 4/64 million me thinks MLB inflation is closer to 6-7%

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just don't understand the concern with the full 40-man roster:

a. they can move off about 10 players with no issue when they sign their next free agents or they can trade a player or 2.
    b. Would anyone really mind if the Twins actually go after good players this season instead of bottom feeding for mediocrity in the Rule 5 draft? Really?
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

23. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Kwak (11-28-2013)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast