Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Minnesota Twins Agree To Deal With Ricky Nolasco

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Have Minnesota Twins Signed Ricky Nolasco?

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ricky "Don't call me Ricky Bobby" Nolasco is reportedly NOT a cowboy. As a young child his parents bought him a horse, but but Ricky had "No-Lasso" and his dream of being a wild west legend died then and there. The family later sold the horse to a glue factor.y

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Liked 46 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love this signing more for what it symbolizes than who the pitcher is. Nolasco is fine, no doubt, but the Twins bucking their "we don't build through free agency" trend is much more important to me. I would love to see the Twins land one more good starter. Garza would be ideal, but I'd take Kazmir or Arroyo now that Nolasco is (reportedly) in the fold.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    I am shocked! Good start!!!!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A good start, still a little worried by the fact he has not pitched in the American league. He at the current time is still the Twins ace, still hope they sign at least one better pitcher.

Liked 357 Times in 203 Posts
    Well that's a nice Thanksgiving gift.

Now I hope that Santa Ryan brings us some Christmas presents, too.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
    It looks like the deal doesn't exceed 4 years and $52 million according to Chris Cotillo. What does that realistically leave the Twins capable of doing with other free agents? I think getting Garza would be awesome. I'm just wondering if it is realistic in terms of money.

Liked 320 Times in 190 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    It looks like the deal doesn't exceed 4 years and $52 million according to Chris Cotillo. What does that realistically leave the Twins capable of doing with other free agents? I think getting Garza would be awesome. I'm just wondering if it is realistic in terms of money.

If the Twins are willing to spend 52% of their projected 2014 revenues for player payroll, they have about $65 million to spend on free agents this off-season. Way more than realistic to get 2 more good pitchers and a bat or two.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

9. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (11-27-2013)

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    13 yr they would be around 65m. They can do plenty yet!

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I just love it when the pitcher's calling card is.... "He has posted peripheral numbers..... that suggest he should be better than...." (he is). He should be, but isn't. Good enough for the Twins' high standards, especially with Terry Ryan still making the choices and offers. I guess something is better than nothing, and the same old continues.

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I love this signing more for what it symbolizes than who the pitcher is. Nolasco is fine, no doubt, but the Twins bucking their "we don't build through free agency" trend is much more important to me. I would love to see the Twins land one more good starter. Garza would be ideal, but I'd take Kazmir or Arroyo now that Nolasco is (reportedly) in the fold.
    This is a point I made as well. Very pleased to see that the wallet is open, and very hopeful that this isn't the last of it.
    I just started the blog Troy Williamson's Hands which is about MN sports and whatever else I want to write--you can find it at http://troywilliamsonshands.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @dose17

Oh Rickey, what a pity
    You don't understand
    You take me by the heart
    When you take me by the hand
    Oh Rickey, you're so pretty
    Can't you understand
    It's guys like you Rickey
    Oh what you do Rickey, do Rickey
    Don't break my heart Rickey!

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd flip for Garza also, but could live with Arroyo or Kazmir, along with adding Salty.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I love this signing, especially if, as Cotillo also tweeted, the contract would be less than the contract that Edwin Jackson signed last year (4/52). If they can grab Kazmir, I'll be thrilled and call it a great offseason.

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I love this signing, especially if, as Cotillo also tweeted, the contract would be less than the contract that Edwin Jackson signed last year (4/52). If they can grab Kazmir, I'll be thrilled and call it a great offseason.
    Unless it's truly obscene, I don't even care about the annual amount. If' it's a four-year deal, I'm likely satisfied.

17. This user likes John Bonnes's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (11-28-2013)

Awesome!

now, one more legit pitcher and Salty & would be very pleased with the FO's efforts this offseason.

19. This user likes Westgaard66's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (11-28-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't love Nolasco, but I like the signing. I think it was important to get a reliable, league average pitcher for multiple years. I would have preferred Feldman since he would have cost less years and dollars, but they spent more for the track record of durability which I can appreciate.

If they do acquire another pitcher, it should be one with upside on a shorter term deal. Sign a Kazmir or Hughes or trade for an Anderson or Hellickson. I think it's important to see what we have in Deduno (if healthy) and Gibson. Meyer and May should see some big league time as well. They also have to be willing to cut bait on guys like Diamond and Worley, and not hold on to them just because they are out of options.

Re-evaluate the team next off-season and use free agency to continue to complement a young and upcoming team. Plenty of attractive free agents next off-season, no need to go all out in this one when we are so low on the win curve. With money to spend, some improved pitching and the young impact position players coming up, we'll be in good shape to be aggressive in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by h2oface View Post
    I just love it when the pitcher's calling card is.... "He has posted peripheral numbers..... that suggest he should be better than...." (he is). He should be, but isn't. Good enough for the Twins' high standards, especially with Terry Ryan still making the choices and offers. I guess something is better than nothing, and the same old continues.
    Terry Ryan just spent money.......thats not the same old continuing.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    The hope is that Nolasco's results catch up to his stuff. If Cotillo is correct and this smaller than EJax's 4/52 then I'm okay with this even if I have been not in favor of signing Nolasco. I know that everyone would like Tanaka or Garza but the first will likely sign for well over 2x of this and the second could get close to 2x.

Now if the Twins can get some 2011 Javy Vazquez (a good comparable) season out of him. He does have the ability to put together a really nice season especially if/when the Twins OF defense improves.

The most encouraging thing is that this shows that the Twins aren't just talk this offseason. I would have lost my mind this year if they only shopped in the Capuano/Pelfrey market. Hopefully they aren't done though.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Proud to be a Ryan sympathizer for the first time in awhile #erection

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast