Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: In the path that Brian Dozier blazed: A 2014 breakout candidate for the Twin

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: In the path that Brian Dozier blazed: A 2014 breakout candidate for the Twin

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 66 Times in 45 Posts
    That is very interesting. I really liked Escobar last year as he was hot with the bat early in the season and then got very, very cold. Then I really liked Florimon and he tailed off as well. I really do like Florimons defense though and I think he likely starts next year so when or where would Escobar get his chance to prove he might improve like Dozier? I think it might take an injury or extremely poor play from Florimon at this point. I like the analysis though as it gives me hope that the middle infield is set for a while.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 177 Times in 86 Posts
    Very interesting indeed. I'm not sold on Florimon's bat, and if Escobar can show more consistency offensively while giving up very little on defense, we may have a nice asset on our hands.

I guess we'll have to see how things play out with Florimon. I have little faith, but what the heck do I know?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 313 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If anything, Dozier's 2013 breakout suggests that his 200 AAA PA the year prior were not that meaningful of a sample. What was more instructive was the 1400 PA that preceded it.

Escobar's AAA "breakthrough" last year was 188 PA. Do we trust that, or his 2500 PA prior (including almost 700 in AAA)? His career minor league OPS is now .675, and .688 at AAA (and that includes his "breakthrough" last year).

Also, when Dozier struggled in AAA, he almost equally struggled in MLB, which suggests that the level wasn't affecting him as much as something else (swing mechanics? psychology?). In other words, Dozier himself might have been the limiting factor. Escobar raked in AAA while he put up his typical poor MLB numbers, suggesting he was simply taking advantage of the weaker competition (like Parmelee, Colabello, Clete Thomas, etc.).

5. This user likes spycake's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

stringer bell (11-29-2013)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Don't get mad…Joe Mauer. I am going to say 20+ bombs and (if possible) even more doubles.

Liked 389 Times in 258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    If anything, Dozier's 2013 breakout suggests that his 200 AAA PA the year prior were not that meaningful of a sample. What was more instructive was the 1400 PA that preceded it.

Escobar's AAA "breakthrough" last year was 188 PA. Do we trust that, or his 2500 PA prior (including almost 700 in AAA)? His career minor league OPS is now .675, and .688 at AAA (and that includes his "breakthrough" last year).

Also, when Dozier struggled in AAA, he almost equally struggled in MLB, which suggests that the level wasn't affecting him as much as something else (swing mechanics? psychology?). In other words, Dozier himself might have been the limiting factor. Escobar raked in AAA while he put up his typical poor MLB numbers, suggesting he was simply taking advantage of the weaker competition (like Parmelee, Colabello, Clete Thomas, etc.).
    Well put!

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't trust Eduardo to make the jump to being a successful MLB hitter. He's a utility man without any bat skills, and after this season he probably shouldn't have a 25-man roster spot with the Twins. A better comparison for Escobar, IMO, is Sexi Alexi. Solid glove, especially at 2B, but no use at the plate or as a PH.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parm is my pick for breakout player.

If he gets a chance?

Escobar breaking out ala Dozier would be huge.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a Punto type path is more likely with better pop a fewer walks.

Like Punto, he has a good glove at 3 positions which should keep him in the majors. He will have plenty of time to grow the bat skill.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 512 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't agree with Escobar/Casilla comparison. Casilla only has demonstrated above average fielding skills at second, Escobar at second and short for sure and probably third. As an offensive player, Lexi had one very much above-average skill--the ability to steal bases. Escobar doesn't have that skill, but looks like he could have decent power for a middle infielder. It would be great to have two guys in the middle infield, both under thirty, both with OPS+ above 100 and both above average defensively. Oh well, we can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Parm is my pick for breakout player.

If he gets a chance?

Escobar breaking out ala Dozier would be huge.
    He seems like a decent candidate to put it together. As long as we are wishing... Let's hope Plouffe has a big 1st half and gets traded for value at the deadline making room for Sano after Sano has a big 1st half in AAA. I am pulling for Florimon to have a break out year with the bat because I love watching him play defense and how great would it be to solidify that position. Could Hicks be the most likely candidate?

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    He seems like a decent candidate to put it together. As long as we are wishing... Let's hope Plouffe has a big 1st half and gets traded for value at the deadline making room for Sano after Sano has a big 1st half in AAA. I am pulling for Florimon to have a break out year with the bat because I love watching him play defense and how great would it be to solidify that position. Could Hicks be the most likely candidate?
    With Parmelee... To me it seems... It's the high fastball he has trouble catching up with. He seems to be quite good with the low pitch... I think that can be fixed... the more fastballs he sees. I just worry he won't get to see a bunch of pitches this year.

With Plouffe... The guy is just in my doghouse. He has 30 homers pop so I pray for him t put it together but he just seems lollagaggie! I thnk he is going through the motions and doesn't realize that he is.

If Plouffe doesn't get some mental focus for X-mas this year and an acute sense of urgency for Valentines day. He will be run over like Kevin Klein in "A Fish called Wanda" by a steamroller driven by Sano.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".