Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Early Signs Point to Unprecedented Aggressiveness

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Empty rhetoric? Perhaps. It wouldn't be the first time. But there are numerous signals indicating that this organization is feeling a far greater sense of urgency than is typical, and that provides some real reason for hope.
    After reading the latest from Wolfson at 1500 I am thinking it might be empty rhetoric. It has some pessimistic indicators. Hopefully they are just playing games with agents.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given Parker's story about the Twins already making an offer to Mike Pelfrey (and that offer not being high enough), I'm going to withhold any enthusiasm for a 'big free agent signing'.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    When reading some of the linked materials from your article I actually get less sure of the Twins actual commitment. In Doogie's article the Twins are breaking their word on giving up a draft pick for a decent signing:

The Twins have told agents that they don't plan on sacrificing their second-round pick in June's amateur draft to sign a free agent, despite a public declaration stating otherwise. In other words, starters Ervin Santana and Ubaldo Jimenez aren't in the Twins' plans. In fact, Santana's representatives already have meetings set up with teams in Orlando. The Twins, as of Tuesday morning, are not on that list.
    In reading the Pohlad article the feeling I got is that Jim Pohlad has committed to not actively inhibiting Ryan from signing players:

We have a lot of prospects, but most aren’t quite ready. We don’t have a lot of trading inventory. We have to go into the marketplace. Terry knows that. I’m not encouraging him to wait.
    I think there is a big difference in "I'm not encouraging him to wait" and actually saying something like "I have encouraged him to be aggressive on both money and years."

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwintheiser View Post
    Given Parker's story about the Twins already making an offer to Mike Pelfrey (and that offer not being high enough), I'm going to withhold any enthusiasm for a 'big free agent signing'.
    Understandable, and I thought about mentioning it, but I just can't put a ton of stock into rumors coming from Heyman regarding Boras clients.

Anything less than two decent FA signings, I will be disappointed. I bet they sign 1 less than decent pitcher (Pelfrey) and then get a bunch off the trash pile after that. They do this every year and it is so old at this point. What they should do is go hard after Garza and probably an Arroyo/Kazmir type. But, I don't see it happening. It will be a bunch more rhetoric that leads to the aforementioned pathetic FA signings.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
    I thought McCann went to the Yankees?

Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Twins aggressive in off season? I hate to say you have to prove me wrong before I start drinking the kool aid. Just because they are talking to agents means absolutely nothing until they pull the trigger on a deal. The agents probably have not laughed so hard when they finish a meeting with the Twins people.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    SDFan, he did sign with the Yankees

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Early signs point to rumors of stuff maybe happening, but just as it is too early to say they'll do nothing, it seems a bit early to get confident, doesn't it?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    The agents probably have not laughed so hard when they finish a meeting with the Twins people.
    It will be a bunch more rhetoric that leads to the aforementioned pathetic FA signings.

This forum is quickly becoming unreadable, Nick offers a reasonable and well thought out opinion and everyone has to rush in with the same old, tired, "Dohhh the Twins won't do anything, Ryan should be fired, derp" rhetoric that has been non stop. We get it, nobody likes coming off of three bad seasons, making thread after thread and post after post about how the Twins won't do anything, are a laughing stock etc does nothing to expand the conversation and frankly will do nothing but drive away anyone who would actually like to have a discussion about the Twins.

It was this sort of daily garbage that kept me off the forums the majority of the second half of the season, and I know I wasn't the only one. This isn't directed at this thread as it hasn't gotten out of hand...yet.

12. These 3 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (11-27-2013), crarko (11-27-2013), James (11-27-2013)

Senior Member MVP
    How about this Dave, as a specific example?

Early signs indicated they would give up their 2nd round pick for a good player. Now, Wolfson tweets they are telling agents they won't do that.

That is a specific example of why "early signs" don't mean much (either way, frankly). Until stuff is done, it is just so much talk (for every team).
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 1,268 Times in 733 Posts
    The problem is that people feel compelled to write something -- even when there really isn't anything to say. (This is not a criticism of you, Nick, this is about all of us).

There really isn't anything to say. You can take what you've heard as encouraging as Nick has done or you can take a negative view and say that nothing has changed.

In the long run, none of it matters -- it's actions, not words, that will make the difference.

15. These 2 users like JB_Iowa's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (11-27-2013), USAFChief (11-27-2013)

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    How about this Dave, as a specific example?

Early signs indicated they would give up their 2nd round pick for a good player. Now, Wolfson tweets they are telling agents they won't do that.

That is a specific example of why "early signs" don't mean much (either way, frankly). Until stuff is done, it is just so much talk (for every team).
    It says they don't plan on parting with a 2nd round pick (not that they wouldn't, and even Ryan said if it was the right player they would), and frankly I think the fact they aren't meeting with Santana is a GOOD thing, I wouldn't give him a 100 mil.

I'd much rather they sign one of the guys like Garza who doesn't cost the pick anyways.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    Dave is just grumpy because Mark DeRosa retired!

18. These 2 users like Winston Smith's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

James (11-27-2013), SpiritofVodkaDave (11-27-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Dioner Navarro could provide what most of what they're looking for from Saltalamacchia (LH bat, decent catcher) at a fraction of the cost. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    It says they don't plan on parting with a 2nd round pick (not that they wouldn't, and even Ryan said if it was the right player they would), and frankly I think the fact they aren't meeting with Santana is a GOOD thing, I wouldn't give him a 100 mil.

I'd much rather they sign one of the guys like Garza who doesn't cost the pick anyways.
    Agreed. Right now, the only guy I'd give up a pick for is Jimenez. With Garza on the market, I don't think it's necessary to give up a pick to get a good pitcher (but I'd still give up the pick for Ubaldo).

Senior Member MVP
    Missing the point of my post completely..............

Early signs mean nothing, they are just talk. They talked about giving up their 2nd, now Wolfson is tweeting they won't do so. None of the talk matters, only action matters. And, if it is too early to say "they are doing nothing", it is similarly too early to say "they are doing something".

Who they'd give up a pick for is not at all what I was discussing.
    Lighten up Francis....

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I also feel that actions will make a difference. Twins should only pay for a frontline(#1 or #2) starter for 3 years or more. Twins should also be very aggressive in pushing Stewart and Thorpe up the latter to see if they can make the rotation in 2016. That would make this line very plausible.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SDFan View Post
    I thought McCann went to the Yankees?
    Derp. Brain fart. Fixed, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast