Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of Mike Pelfrey

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I am crazy in the thread I just started about what is going on in the mind of TR.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Hendriks is 5 years younger with no such health issues and a comparable K rate. Certainly a better k/bb rate without actually looking.

Anyway, yes, I will go on the record as saying that I would prefer the Twins give the 5th starter role to Liam Hendriks at $500K than Mike Pelfrey at $4-5 million.
    Shane you make way to much sense. I wish there was a like button. Hendriks still has the potential to be something decent. Honestly though I think he is so deep in Gardys doghouse that he might not be able to pitch his way out...even with Pelfrey like stats.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I really wasnt putting them in any particular order. With Ryan in charge, I think Garza and Pelfrey is the best we can hope for, and I dont think he'll do that much.
    Sad but probably true....

Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    I just puked in my mouth reading this. Sure Pelfrey as a #5 starter....but he is not going to be considered our #5 starter...he will be considered our #2....gross. C'MON MAN!
    Good grief. I put the two free agent signings at the top. And lets be real, do you honestly have hope Ryan will do better than Garza and Pelfrey? My expectations of ryan are so low I'd be stunned if he even accomplished that.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Good grief. I put the two free agent signings at the top. And lets be real, do you honestly have hope Ryan will do better than Garza and Pelfrey? My expectations of ryan are so low I'd be stunned if he even accomplished that.
    No in another post i just agreed that Ryan probably wont even sign Garza?.... If they only sign Garza and keep Pelfrey this offseason is definitely a failure.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 183 Posts
    Most fan bases would be pretty happy if their GM went out and signed the top FA pitcher on the market. Sheesh rough crowd.

Senior Member All-Star Hosken Bombo Disco's Avatar
    Liked 481 Times in 278 Posts
    Very tough crowd. Although I'd say Ryan's in a situation of his own making and he's going to have people on edge (including Pohlad) until he lands the big fish.

Don't mind bringing back Pelfrey as long as the money is right, and they still add another starter (Tanaka or Hughes, please).
    BYTO R.I.P.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 619 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    For all the hate he is getting, Pelfrey lead the staff last year.......
    This argument feels like someone saying they're the best hockey player in Mexico......Congratulations?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    You have to admire Ryan as a man of his word...this is definitely not a short cut.

Maybe more worrisome is the possibility in the rumor that they are underwhelming Pelfrey. If he wants and expects more, how are they going to attract better pitchers?

Signing a 37 year old virgin (to Target Field/AL) with a 3 year is far more infuriating than someone still recovering from/working back from Tommy John. Pelfry has at least spent a year here and would be a cheap cut compared to Arroyo if he went Jason Marquis on us.

12. This user likes SpitefulRabbit617's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

goulik (11-27-2013)

Interesting argument between Shane Wahl and SpiritofVodkaDave. Typically, I don't agree with either one of you as you both seem to think you have way more knowledge then you really do. However, in this case, SpiritofVodkaDave was the clear winner of the argument and actually confessed that Terry Ryan might be a better GM than he would be, so maybe I misjudged you SpiritofVodkaDave. I'll read your posts with more of an open mind for a while.

14. These 2 users like 071063's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

SpiritofVodkaDave (11-27-2013), Steve Penz (11-27-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Yesterday Nick Nelson made the point that Pelfrey is the guy you sign in February as a late pick up. Last year that same point was made about Correa. I am ok with those signings if they come during the right time of the year when other efforts have been made first. Both of those guys can play a good role on the right staff. It is just really hard to understand this move now. Ryan seems to never to give any thought to the perception held by his fanbase. I would love to have been fly on the wall when somebody in the organization said, "Have we thought about how this move is going to be perceived by the public?" Is Ryan hearing that? In no way will I advocate that an executive of a business should have public opinion as his/her top priority but it has to be in there someplace. Why sign Pelfrey now?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    You have to admire Ryan as a man of his word...this is definitely not a short cut.

Maybe more worrisome is the possibility in the rumor that they are underwhelming Pelfrey. If he wants and expects more, how are they going to attract better pitchers?
    I don't find it worrisome at all, it's just how negotiations go in general, just because they need pitching big time doesn't mean Ryan should go out and start making bad deals (overpaying) left and right.

The amount they are offering Pelfrey have really no effect on what they might offer a Garza type.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Penz View Post
    Ryan seems to never to give any thought to the perception held by his fanbase. I would love to have been fly on the wall when somebody in the organization said, "Have we thought about how this move is going to be perceived by the public?" Is Ryan hearing that? In no way will I advocate that an executive of a business should have public opinion as his/her top priority but it has to be in there someplace. Why sign Pelfrey now?
    Ryan shouldn't worry himself how the casual fan will react with a signing like this, his job is to put the best product on the field for 2014/2015 moving forward. Not satisfy a bunch of people on a message board day in and day out during an off-season.

The reality is, it will be at least another month or two before we can even begin to start making "grades" about an off-season (which still will be incomplete). If the Twins like Pelfrey better than the other options in his "class" (i.e. the 5-6 mil a year pitchers) then there is zero reason to wait until later to sign him (just like how signing Correia was the right decision last year, and was proven later)

Signing Pelfrey doesn't stop them from signing ANYONE at this point, it's not like the rotation is suddenly full at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    This argument feels like someone saying they're the best hockey player in Mexico......Congratulations?
    Listen, the reality is the Twins aren't going to bring in 5 brand new pitchers outside the org for 2014, they aren't going to bring 4, so you are going to have to use some guys that were around in 2013, Pelfrey, for better or worse showed flashes and out performed some of the other internal options (and has a better track record than most of them)

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    The same article states that they either lied to the public when they said they'd be willing to forfeit their 2nd round pick, or they changed their mind, because they are are telling agents they will not do that.
    Last edited by mike wants wins; 11-27-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 619 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Listen, the reality is the Twins aren't going to bring in 5 brand new pitchers outside the org for 2014, they aren't going to bring 4, so you are going to have to use some guys that were around in 2013, Pelfrey, for better or worse showed flashes and out performed some of the other internal options (and has a better track record than most of them)
    The biggest problem is that all your arguments seemed predicated on a salary that I think is a ridiculous underestimatw. Double your 3M (minimum) and then reassess. Pelfreyis a guaranteed rotation spot if signed. I'd rather not do that until the superior options sign here or elsewhere.

21. This user likes TheLeviathan's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Alex (11-27-2013)

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    The same article states that they either lied to the public when they said they'd be willing to forfeit their 2nd round pick, or they changed their mind, because they are are telling agents they will not do that.
    Before you call someone a liar, don't you think it would be best to have better than 3rd or 4th hand info. Terry Ryan is one of the most honorable people in baseball, even if our favorite team has lost 90+ games 3 years in a row.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,526 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a personal dislike of Pelfrey's pitching style so that taints my view of this offer.

Looking at it objectively, there is good reason to suspect that Pelfrey will pitch better in 2014 and is actually a pretty decent "buy low" candidate.

On the other hand, I'm really tired of contact pitchers. Even signing one that looks to rebound leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's also why I'm meh on Arroyo (also his age).

If the Twins exit this offseason with Pelfrey and one of Garza, Arroyo, or Santana to bolster the rotation, it won't be a bad offseason. I won't be crazy about it but it's not enough to call for the firing of Ryan, a guy who has done a pretty stellar job turning this farm system into best-in-class.

But if the Twins don't get a guy like Garza to complement Pelfrey, then yeah, this offseason is a massive failure.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast