Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of Mike Pelfrey

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sconnie View Post
    im p.o.ed too. It's not that Pelfrey is bad. He's fine, if he were a finishing touch to round out a GOOD rotation, I would be over the moon. The problem is, he's the first, not the last. There's already plans for yet another 5 plus ERA back of the rotation filler guy who's just like the rest of a rotation full of back of the rotation filler guys, and no real movement yet ( and probably won't be) on a high end front of the rotation guy or three.
    My guess he is last years Kevin Correia ,Terry sees what players are asking for, so lets sign somebody,anybody ...And maybe later sign somebody better.as long as Mike gets 16 million or under for 2 years Im ok with it.Especially if we add a better pitcher or 2 later

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Leauge Ready View Post
    That is the beauty of being a fan. LOTS of fans think they know how to run a MLB franchise better than those who have the job. Hard to imagine why they pay GMs $1M+ year when there are so many people working for $50K (or less) a year who can do the job better.
    Ryan makes more then 1 million, geez his bonus is more then that

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    I would bet a good deal of posters here could do the job better. Unfortunately not one of us will ever get that chance.
    Yeah, that frankly is BS. Terry Ryan didn't just wake up one day and become a GM, he busted his ass through the ranks for years, proving himself time and time again while working his way up the ladder.

While I don't have a problem with people criticizing him, I find it pretty ridiculous you claim a bunch of people here, the majority of which don't work in baseball at any capacity nor sports for that matter can do a better job.

I know several people who worked with Ryan (and Smith) personally, and they have nothing but great things to say about Ryan's knowledge and leadership abilities.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 11-26-2013 at 10:19 PM.

4. These 2 users like SpiritofVodkaDave's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

goulik (11-27-2013), panolo (11-27-2013)

Banned All-Star
    SVD being in the publics eye and having a team that has more then struggled the last 3 years will open anyone to crititsim. You have your Ryanites and you have the other half.Im also guessing if you walk around saying your boss is worth less then a dung beattle , you dont stay employed very long.While Terry has some very good traits , he also has some bad one as well.
    To me Terry Ryan takes more joy in signing florimon, a player who the other 29 GMs didnt think would work out , and goes on to have an ok 3-8 year career,then to sign the 1 player who all the other GMs want,who goes on to be an allstar

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    on the same mlbtraderumors.com blurb that talked about Pelfry getting the Twins first contract offer of the offseason, They also mentioned that Arroyo was looking for a 3 year 27-30 million. if that's the case why not just sign him up and get that over with?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    on the same mlbtraderumors.com blurb that talked about Pelfry getting the Twins first contract offer of the offseason, They also mentioned that Arroyo was looking for a 3 year 27-30 million. if that's the case why not just sign him up and get that over with?
    Because going 3 years for Arroyo is not a prudent move?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Until we know the dollar amount, it seems pretty mad-happy to get infuriated about the proposal, especially since the same article admits how far apart they are on the money. I'd rather not have Pelfry back--but the Twins do need five starters, so if Pelfry coming back doesn't get in a way of more legitimate signings, it'd be hardly infuriating.

Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Until we know the dollar amount, it seems pretty mad-happy to get infuriated about the proposal, especially since the same article admits how far apart they are on the money. I'd rather not have Pelfry back--but the Twins do need five starters, so if Pelfry coming back doesn't get in a way of more legitimate signings, it'd be hardly infuriating.
    It is infuriating because it's not improving the team. At best they will remain the exact same. It would be one thing if we were entertaining resigning someone like David Price, but Pelfrey just doesn't help this team in any significant way.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Yeah, that frankly is BS. Terry Ryan didn't just wake up one day and become a GM, he busted his ass through the ranks for years, proving himself time and time again while working his way up the ladder.

While I don't have a problem with people criticizing him, I find it pretty ridiculous you claim a bunch of people here, the majority of which don't work in baseball at any capacity nor sports for that matter can do a better job.

I know several people who worked with Ryan (and Smith) personally, and they have nothing but great things to say about Ryan's knowledge and leadership abilities.
    Life is all about opportunity. I don't think it's impossible that some people that have no baseball related job could do a better job than him.

Life is all about opportunity. I don't think it's impossible that some people that have no baseball related job could do a better job than him.
    "I'm a fan, how hard could being a GM be?"- David Kahn

It's not impossible, but that is a quick change of tune for your "a good number of posters here could do a better job etc etc"

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    "I'm a fan, how hard could being a GM be?"- David Kahn

It's not impossible, but that is a quick change of tune for your "a good number of posters here could do a better job etc etc"
    I don't particularly care for Kahn but is he really any worse than McHale?

Would it change your opinion if I mentioned that I believe you would probably be a more successful GM? Your blueprint is far better than anything the Twins have done over the past 20 years. Even if they only partially did what you suggest it would be a success of an off-season.

Also, Ryan earned his stripes the hard way, 6 years as a damn fine scout for the Mets, followed by scouting director by the Twins for 6 years and another couple years as McPhails right hand man before taking over as GM, in which he took one of the lowest payrolled teams in baseball and built the core that won 6 division titles in 9 years with a damn fine run of good trades, including the Knoblauch one, The AJ one, Hollins for David Ortiz, Kelly for Joe Mays, Buchannan for Bartlerr, Kielty for Shannon Stewart, Aggie for Loshe, Milton for Silva/Punto.

Yeah, things have sucked since he has been back, but he was dealt a pretty ****ty hand and really, has he made a bad trade/bad signing yet?

I'd like to think I am a pretty smart baseball fan/have been playing/watching/studying my whole life/strong business background etc, however I can say without a doubt I couldn't hold a freaking candle to what Ryan has done and will continue to do, chances are nearly everyone else here would be the exact same (if not everyone). I appreciate the kind words about my blueprint, but there is a ton more going on behind the scenes/complications that none of us are really aware of.

Also in re: to my blueprint, that would be assuming those players all would sign for the amounts I suggested, whereas there are reports of all 4 guys looking for higher deals (Garza, Salty, Hughes) or 1 year deals (Hughes)
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 11-26-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Signing of Pelfry I think will be a good move but what would be terrible if this is only or best pitcher they sign. The Twins are going to need couple of pitchers like Pelfry and I think two year is not big financial risk and gives them control for probably 3 years if option is added. The cost of pitching is going up look at last year Correia contract looked terrible and I was one posting to the effect and now this year its considered a bargain. The Twins need to fill starters and this is a start. This will give them Pelfry, Corriea , and if healthy Deduno for 3,4, and 5 Starters. If they sign a good number 2 starter and say somebody like Hughes for number 3 Starter with others listed above twins would have much improved starting rotation. Then add in Gibson which I think could still develop into good number 3 starter and Myer coming along they would have quality pitching staff for next couple of years without a lot of money spent. Then add all good young prospects that will come up in next couple years and Twins could have really competitive team. I just wish Twins would stop being so tentative and get the job done. They know baseball and can see the talent they have and now they have money to spend to get to where they need to get its just pulling the Trigger. If they don't do this ownership got intervene set the direction and speed of rebuild to management. Otherwise I would hate to have Dave ST. Peters job of trying to sell this product and keep revenues up for the Twins. He would have baseball side of business controlling costs to point that everything they save is being lost because the Twins Brand is becoming worth less each year with decreasing revenues from gate to Tv to sports merchandise. Something that not easy to build up and also loosing of generation of fans to other sports.

I don't particularly care for Kahn but is he really any worse than McHale?
    2009 draft is all that needs to be said, 3 PG's chosen in the first 17 picks, and he passed twice on Stephen Curry....ugh. The only thing that barely saved him in that draft was that Rubio finally agreed to come over years later..

McHale was much better IMO, his huge bonehead move was the Joe Smith Fiasco, however that punishment was so over the top, Stern is such a P.O.S

Quote Originally Posted by ND-Fan View Post
    I just wish Twins would stop being so tentative and get the job done.
    This is being debated to death in other threads, the only thing i will say its still very early, none of the real top free agents sans McCann are off the board at this point (I don't really count Lincecum as that was different) and Josh Johnson basically choose where he wanted to go.

None of the guys the Twins have been linked to have signed anywhere yet I believe.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have made a two-year offer to Mike Pelfrey, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. However, there's still a gap in salary that needs to be bridged. Pelfrey returned from Tommy John surgery in 2012 to post a 5.19 ERA with 6.0 K/9, 3.1 BB/9 and a career-low 43.2 percent ground-ball rate in 152 2/3 innings. Pelfrey's FIP (3.99) and xFIP (4.54) both suggest that his ERA could have been lower were it not for a .337 BABIP and 67.2 percent strand rate.

Why even bother? Pelfrey is not going to help in any way. The best thing to do when you are a garbage team is to obviously resign your own trash. PONY UP SOME MONEY AND SIGN SOMEONE GOOD!!!
    How many million likes can I give to this!? It makes me sick to think that this has been considered, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    How many million likes can I give to this!? It makes me sick to think that this has been considered, even.
    For all the hate he is getting, Pelfrey lead the staff last year in K/9, WAR and was only .03 behind Albers for the FIP lead. Additionally he was 2nd in IP. I get that the rotation was terrible, but they aren't going to bring in 4 or 5 new pitchers via trades/free agency, so you need to get some cheap production somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Defenders of Pelfrey straight up amaze me. He has been bad for most of his career. That they offer to HIM and not others by now is pretty indicative of why Terry Ryan needs to be fired on the spot. How is this not clear? This is baffling.

Keep on defending Terry Ryan all you want, people. This coupled with the jabbering about Swarzak and Duensing potentially being starters lets you know that it is possible to have literally NO other FA signings beyond Pelfrey for 2014.

Correia
    Pelfrey
    Diamond
    Deduno
    Gibson

Might be the best they offer in 2014. you dig?

Blog Entries
    That TR interview in the handbook really was illuminating, by the way. Again . . . I was told that I made too much out of that. When Eric Fryer is the first bright spot mentioned, you know the rest of the story. Only new ownership is going to save this team.

I hope the Royals swoop in and give Pelfrey a bigger offer.

or there is a clause in his contract that say he has to speed up his pace.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast