Thread: Arcia, Pinto stuff

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries

Arcia, Pinto stuff

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...cy-agency.html

The news is just about agency, but the little blurbs are here:
    A consensus Top 100 prospect heading into the 2013 season, Arcia debuted in Minnesota as a 21-year-old this year and became the youngest player to hit a home run while donning a Twins uniform since Joe Mauer in 2004. Arcia was a bit overmatched by Major League pitching but held his own, slashing .251/.304/.430 with 14 home runs in 378 plate appearances. He also saw 155 plate appearances in Triple-A, illustrating that he has little to prove at that level by hitting .313/.426/.594 with 10 homers in 38 games.

Pinto, 25 in March, burst onto the scene in 2013 with a .309/.400/.482 batting line and 15 homers between Double-A and Triple-A this season. With the news that Mauer is shifting to first base full-time, Pinto suddenly appears to be the heir-apparent behind the plate in Minnesota. He made his big league debut as a September call-up and turned plenty of heads in a small sample size of 83 plate appearances by slashing .342/.398/.556 with four homers and five doubles. He ranks fifth among Twins prospects, per Jason Parks of Baseball Prospectus.

2. This user likes Shane Wahl's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Brock Beauchamp (11-26-2013)

Blog Entries
    By the way, the first nano second after reading "Arcia, Pinto" in a headline on MLBTR I got a little nauseous. I was immediately worried about trading top prospects. Phew.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    I wonder if the fan base isn't excited enough about Arcia? I know I was never a big fan of his in the minors but I was wrong. But it seems like a lot of discussion about Arcia focuses on his strike outs or his bad defense and not enough on his bat. He's a 22 year old kid who managed to slug 14 HR while playing at TF (he hit 8 of his HR on the road in only 40 games) and seems to have a pretty smart batting approach. He could really improve these next few years.

Honestly, if I was with the Rangers, Red Sox, Yanks or other team trying to get younger and lived in a park where LH power played well, I'd be trying to steal him before he breaks out.

5. These 2 users like gunnarthor's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

goulik (11-26-2013), twinsfan34 (11-26-2013)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I wonder if the fan base isn't excited enough about Arcia? I know I was never a big fan of his in the minors but I was wrong. But it seems like a lot of discussion about Arcia focuses on his strike outs or his bad defense and not enough on his bat. He's a 22 year old kid who managed to slug 14 HR while playing at TF (he hit 8 of his HR on the road in only 40 games) and seems to have a pretty smart batting approach. He could really improve these next few years.

Honestly, if I was with the Rangers, Red Sox, Yanks or other team trying to get younger and lived in a park where LH power played well, I'd be trying to steal him before he breaks out.
    I think a lot of people around here (and in the Twins organization, clearly) get all hot and bothered by strikeouts. It often comes with the territory of actually having good power hitters.

And, yeah, I would be all over him if I were those teams as well.

I hope the Twins value both of these players at a very high level. If they do trade them, it should be for some VERY nice pieces. These guys are going to supplement the offense very nicely after Mega-Prospects Buxton and Sano get here.

Just thinking about Arcia and Pinto developing, waiting for Buxton and Sano to arrive and adding those 4 to one of the best hitters in the league is exciting. If those 4 can pan out, look out.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinscowboysbulls View Post
    Just thinking about Arcia and Pinto developing, waiting for Buxton and Sano to arrive and adding those 4 to one of the best hitters in the league is exciting. If those 4 can pan out, look out.
    Yep, and Hicks and Rosario are also (current or former) top 100 prospects that will be in the mix, too.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I doubt Pinto is gettting traded at all... not with Mauer moving to 1B. I could see Arcia being on the block, but like others had said, it had better be for something really freaking good. Boston may want him, but I highly doubt they are going to offer Rayunado or someone of that calliber for him.

If they trade Arcia, it needs to be for a VERY GOOD Prospect at SP, SS or C. Otherwise, we should keep him. I don't care if he ends up being a DH only, he is going to rake.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    We need a news feed section from mlbtraderumors.com on the right side of every TD page. I am really getting carpal tunnel syndrome (spelling may be suspect) from going back and forth from TD to mlbtr. Make it happen John Bonnes.

13. These 2 users like Twins Twerp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Riverbrian (11-26-2013), Shane Wahl (11-26-2013)

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I think a lot of people around here (and in the Twins organization, clearly) get all hot and bothered by strikeouts. It often comes with the territory of actually having good power hitters.

And, yeah, I would be all over him if I were those teams as well.
    Indeed, but only for the kids. Acria's K% (31ish) was very close to Willingham's (27ish), which in turn was identical to Sano's (27ish) and you did not hear anything about Willingham striking out a lot, but only for the kids.

This organization has a different set of measures for veterans than it does for young players and it is too bad...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

15. This user likes Thrylos's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Shane Wahl (11-26-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 52 Times in 39 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post

The like is back. And this got a like. Totally agree. And he likewise, took me a bit by surprise. I know his numbers weren't great. But the wrist injury, only 22. He smacked 14 HR in a poor lineup. I can see him hitting 5th after Buxton-Santana/Rosario-Mauer-Sano in 2 years and he'll be getting a lot of pitchers over the plate with men on base to try to stop any further damage. Be nice if Aaron Hicks or Pinto could be a solid #6 hitter as well.

Very excited about Arcia after what I saw this year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Arcia's K% is a big issue because of his 6.1 BB%. Even with a .336 BABIP he still only had a .304 OBP.

The good thing is Arcia is still young and his minor league numbers say that he's able to take walks. If he can get his K% down by 5% and his BB% up by 3% he turns into a legitimate bat.

18. This user likes JP3700's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

USAFChief (11-26-2013)

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
    My God guys, are we really panicking on Arcia already? At age 22, Killebrew had 11 HR's and 30 RBI's over 113 games in 5 seasons. Arcia, at age 22, had 14 HR's and 43 RBI's over 97 games in 1 season. In Harmon's career, he had more strikeouts (1699) than walks (1559). And lest we forget, Harmon was at best average as a defender, and more often a lousy one. Despite all his flaws, Harmon was loved (and is in the Hall of Fame). Give Arcia a chance, it's way too early in his career to give up. His minor league stats over 6 seasons, showed him as a .376 OBP and .540 Slugging for an OPS of .915 - let him acclimate to the majors and let's see what he does hitting in front of or behind Sano.

Don't even think of trading this guy.
    Last edited by ScottyB; 11-26-2013 at 08:30 PM.

20. This user likes ScottyB's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

twinsfan34 (11-27-2013)