Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 66

Thread: No Offers Yet...

  1. #21
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer jay's Avatar
    Posts
    870
    Like
    12
    Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Any of us pretending to know what the negotiation process consists of is a joke.

    Isn't this the exact same as the 'Twins Aren't Doing Stuff' thread?

  2. #22
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I will never understand the gnashing of teeth that occurs before the Winter Meetings even get going.

    If nothing happens by December 15th, then it's time to start complaining.

  3. These 2 users like Brock Beauchamp's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    ChiTownTwinsFan (11-26-2013), PseudoSABR (11-26-2013)

  4. #23
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,129
    Like
    1,214
    Liked 1,159 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I will never understand the gnashing of teeth that occurs before the Winter Meetings even get going.

    If nothing happens by December 15th, then it's time to start complaining.
    LOL, gonna mark my calendar.

  5. #24
    Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Posts
    1,254
    Like
    77
    Liked 306 Times in 149 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I will never understand the gnashing of teeth that occurs before the Winter Meetings even get going.

    If nothing happens by December 15th, then it's time to start complaining.
    It's always time to complain this is a baseball blog!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

  6. #25
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    576
    Like
    0
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    We need a break from complaining about the Vikings

  7. These 2 users like edavis0308's post and want to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    goulik (11-26-2013), snepp (11-26-2013)

  8. #26
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,599
    Like
    244
    Liked 183 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Why would less offers drum up interest? The best way to push up value is to create competition among offers, not suppress them.

    Im not worried that we haven't offered anything yet, but c'mon, lets not contort common sense.
    Generating interest isn't the same as taking offers. I think it's reasonable for an agent to try and drum up interesting for his client before he starts taking offers, even if it's a blind bidding process. A team in the early stages might think player A is worth 2/10m but the agent might want to really shop him and build up interest, compare him to better players etc and the agent wouldn't want the original team to have already formed a 2/10m view of his player. I think its probably harder to move a team up if they've already made a valuation of the player.
    Last edited by gunnarthor; 11-26-2013 at 01:12 PM.

  9. #27
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,599
    Like
    244
    Liked 183 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    We need a break from complaining about the Vikings
    How can you complain, they tied!

  10. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I wonder if the Twins are waiting to see what happens with Tanaka before making any offers...well, one can dream.
    When are the Tanaka sweepstakes held?

  11. #29
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,599
    Like
    244
    Liked 183 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
    When are the Tanaka sweepstakes held?
    MLB and Japanese baseball are working out the kinks in the posting system. Might not get fixed.

  12. #30
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,462
    Like
    3,442
    Liked 2,938 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I will never understand the gnashing of teeth that occurs before the Winter Meetings even get going.

    If nothing happens by December 15th, then it's time to start complaining.
    It might have smething to do with decades of Twins offseason history, and/or the fact other teams don't seem to think the offseason starts in mid December.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

  13. #31
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    It might have smething to do with decades of Twins offseason history, and/or the fact other teams don't seem to think the offseason starts in mid December.
    The vast majority of other teams haven't signed anyone significant, either.

    We go through this every year... Virtually nothing happens before the Winter Meetings. There's no point in getting upset over it. This is how every offseason plays out... If I was a mid-level FA, I wouldn't want to sign before the Winter Meetings unless I had a particular destination in mind. Once the Winter Meetings commence, teams start actively bidding against one another and the chances of getting a player-friendly deal goes up.

    It's hard to sign a player that won't agree to a deal and the players have very little incentive to agree to a deal in November.

  14. #32
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Okay, I just looked it up.

    According to ESPN, out of 194 free agents, 15 players have signed with a new team so far this offseason.

    I sure hope the Twins don't miss out on those remaining.... 170 players.

    Only nine of the top 50 ranked FAs have signed and that's not counting guys like Tanaka.

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/freeagents

  15. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

    jay (11-26-2013)

  16. #33
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,520
    Like
    3
    Liked 297 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Generating interest isn't the same as taking offers. I think it's reasonable for an agent to try and drum up interesting for his client before he starts taking offers, even if it's a blind bidding process. A team in the early stages might think player A is worth 2/10m but the agent might want to really shop him and build up interest, compare him to better players etc and the agent wouldn't want the original team to have already formed a 2/10m view of his player. I think its probably harder to move a team up if they've already made a valuation of the player.
    Sorry, I still don't get this at all. I get that a player may not be actively soliciting offers yet, but you can't stop a team from making them -- and even if you could, I'm not sure what benefit that has. A team isn't going to be more likely to agree to 2/15 later just because they don't fax their 2/10 offer today.

    By the same token, I don't think a lack of formal offers is necessarily a bad thing -- they could be having a dialog with Arroyo about salary and years without a formal offer. Although with the Twins history in the FA market, it would be nice to see some activity rather than find alternate explanations for their customary inactivity. Agreed its still early, though.

  17. #34
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,599
    Like
    244
    Liked 183 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Sorry, I still don't get this at all. I get that a player may not be actively soliciting offers yet, but you can't stop a team from making them -- and even if you could, I'm not sure what benefit that has. A team isn't going to be more likely to agree to 2/15 later just because they don't fax their 2/10 offer today.
    I think the agent wants to affect how teams value his player before they bid (like in the Sano example). If a team values a guy at 2/10 before the agent can set up some "facts" - player A is the only pitcher who has thrown 200 ip in 10 seasons, player A is younger and amassed more WAR than Grienke did over the previous 3 seasons, player A is generating a lot of interest in X number of markets - I think it makes it harder for the agent to get that team to move to a 4 year deal or 15/year. That's why not wanting offers isn't the same as not generating interest in his client, as Levatian suggests.

  18. #35
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    978
    Like
    3
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    The vast majority of other teams haven't signed anyone significant, either.

    We go through this every year... Virtually nothing happens before the Winter Meetings. There's no point in getting upset over it. This is how every offseason plays out... If I was a mid-level FA, I wouldn't want to sign before the Winter Meetings unless I had a particular destination in mind. Once the Winter Meetings commence, teams start actively bidding against one another and the chances of getting a player-friendly deal goes up.

    It's hard to sign a player that won't agree to a deal and the players have very little incentive to agree to a deal in November.
    I agree that it's a bit early, but I'd love if my favorite team was out in front of and were addressing any of their many needs right away, especially as there are teams that have been doing that.

  19. #36
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    7,952
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    46
    Liked 1,474 Times in 772 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I agree that it's a bit early, but I'd love if my favorite team was out in front of and were addressing any of their many needs right away, especially as there are teams that have been doing that.
    Well, their biggest need is pitching and exactly two starting pitchers have signed that the Twins had even the smallest shot of signing (I'm not including Hudson and Johnson, who appeared to know exactly where they wanted to go).

    Jason Vargas and Dan Haren are off the board. That's it.

  20. #37
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,520
    Like
    3
    Liked 297 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Okay, I just looked it up.
    Considering the Twins, by most accounts, need to add at least 2 quality SP FAs (not to mention other positions), it's a bit more damaging to them each time one signs with another team, as opposed to most teams who may be only looking for one.

    Also, ESPN ranks Mike Pelfrey as the #50 free agent. Which suggests that the Twins really need two top-50 guys for the rotation. And top-50 guys (9/50) are signing faster than the bottom tiers (6/144), according to your numbers. I don't really care if the Twins have plenty of time to sign guys worse than Pelfrey.

    There are 17 SP ranked ahead of Pelfrey on that list; 4 have signed. The Twins needed 2 of those 17. It would be a lot more encouraging if they had one signed already, and just needed 1 of the remaining 13. (Especially since a few of those 13 are extremely unlikely -- Burnett, Kuroda, and probably Ervin Santana based on price, Jimenez maybe not due to qualifying offer.)

    What do you think are the odds the Twins land 2 of the remaining 13? And how much do you think those odds decrease each time one of the remaining pitchers signs with another team?

  21. #38
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,132
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Okay, I just looked it up.

    According to ESPN, out of 194 free agents, 15 players have signed with a new team so far this offseason.

    I sure hope the Twins don't miss out on those remaining.... 170 players.

    Only nine of the top 50 ranked FAs have signed and that's not counting guys like Tanaka.

    http://espn.go.com/mlb/freeagents
    Interesting: 15/194 (7.7%) of all free agents signed, but 18% (9) of all top 50 FA signed which makes is 6/144 (4.2%) of the non-top 50 free agents
    Which means that top free agents are signed at a rate four and a half times as fast as the regular Joes.
    And this actually does not help your argument
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  22. #39
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,520
    Like
    3
    Liked 297 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think the agent wants to affect how teams value his player before they bid (like in the Sano example). If a team values a guy at 2/10 before the agent can set up some "facts" - player A is the only pitcher who has thrown 200 ip in 10 seasons, player A is younger and amassed more WAR than Grienke did over the previous 3 seasons, player A is generating a lot of interest in X number of markets - I think it makes it harder for the agent to get that team to move to a 4 year deal or 15/year. That's why not wanting offers isn't the same as not generating interest in his client, as Levatian suggests.
    But teams already have valuation estimates for these players. They're not blind or blank slates until they hear a sales pitch. This is especially true in MLB FA, as opposed to amateur FA like Sano (whose age was questioned until the very end, perhaps beyond).

    And agents have had years to prepare most of these "facts" for their MLB FA. You think Scott Boras is sorting WAR tables the night before the GM meetings, and heading down to Kinko's after that?

    To the extent there are persuadable GMs and persuasive agents, those characteristics persist even after an offer has been faxed. I doubt a TR offer today would be met with the response "But you offered too early! We asked you not to do that!"

  23. #40
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    344
    Like
    5
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts
    Dougie just tweeted that the Twins have made a two year offer to Pelfrey.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.