Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nolasco and Pelfrey

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 30 Posts

Nolasco and Pelfrey

On a scale of 1-10, how happy would you be if the Twins sign Nolasco and Pelfrey only? (10 being very happy)

I think it might be a good plan E option, but I would like them to sign someone else first of course. What if the Twins sign 3 starting free agents? These two and maybe a wildcard like Santana?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unless Pelfrey is in the 3 mill or less a year category no freakin way. He was terrible last year & hated watching hiom pitch period.

Any plan with Pelfrey as the 2nd veteren has me giving a 3 at best.

Arroyo, Garza, Capuano, Feldman, Bailey, Samardzija, & Anderson or bust!

I dont think they want to give up the draft pick to get Jiminez or Kazmir.

Add any of these poitchers with Pelfrey being the 3rd then it moves to a 8-9

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor0333 View Post
    Unless Pelfrey is in the 3 mill or less a year category no freakin way. He was terrible last year & hated watching hiom pitch period.

Any plan with Pelfrey as the 2nd veteren has me giving a 3 at best.

Arroyo, Garza, Capuano, Feldman, Bailey, Samardzija, & Anderson or bust!

I dont think they want to give up the draft pick to get Jiminez or Kazmir.

Add any of these poitchers with Pelfrey being the 3rd then it moves to a 8-9
    No draft pick if they sign Kazmir.

4. This user likes darin617's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-27-2013)

Liked 401 Times in 264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Twins sign Nolasco and Pelfrey only I would be a 4. Not disgusted, but a tad disappointed they didn't do more. If the Twins sign a Dioner Navarro and a Matt Garza type in addition to Nolasco and Pelfrey, I would be 10.

6. This user likes Sconnie's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

johnnydakota (11-27-2013)

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A 3. It's the same horrible rotation plus Nolasco! We don't even know how healthy Deduno will be, and we have to kick the tires on somebody other than Pelfrey. We need a solid arm like Arroyo, Kazmir, or somebody in that range.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Garza or Kazmir, and Navarro and Chavez(or some one who can platoon with Trevor ) and I give them a 9...if we dont sign a better pitcher then Ricky , then its a 3(which is 2 more then last year)

Senior Member Triple-A DocBauer's Avatar
    Liked 174 Times in 99 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At least a 5 if not higher depending on the veteran C they sign. I would welcome back Pelfrey with open arms if he is a 3rd choice. But I believe he will indeed be better and stronger this year, and while Nolasco isn't my very first choice, he is in the top 5 or so and instantly makes our rotation deeper and better. If it HAS to be Pelfrey as our second signing, but we sign Salt or AJ I'm pretty darn happy.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 82 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would go 6. I expect pelfrey to be more like his second half than first, which means a pretty solid starter. All I want is legit talent on the roster, and with one signing they completely changed the starting rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    All I want is legit talent on the roster, and with one signing they completely changed the starting rotation.
    ehhh...not completely. Nolasco instantly becomes the "ace" but is his sole addition to a terrible rotation really going to have a big effect on W-L? I'm not convinced. Remember, this is the team that's had arguably the worst starting pitching in the league over the past three seasons. They need to do more than just add one underwhelming innings-eater. Ok, resign Pelfry but also go get another guy like Kazmir or Arroyo. Then we might actually have something resembling a real MLB pitching staff.

I'm gonna say 4 like Sconnie, not disgusted but disappointed. I have a feeling that it might stop with Nolasco and Pelf, tho

12. This user likes EephusKnuckler's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Shane Wahl (11-28-2013)

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    I'd give a 9.....just because it represents a sea change in the organization.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Nolasco by himself is worth 3; Pelfrey might add a fourth point if the bullpen is reduced to seven.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    A 7. This is the same team whose biggest free agent acquisition was a TOTAL of 21 mil and under 10 per. This is a move for the future and the guy will be 35 at end of deal. Pelfrey is a throw in low risk signing. The move wont hinder the future and might make the team respectable again. Farm is strong and I see Navarro next to help bring along pinto...I can see light for the first time in 3 years.

16. This user likes Twins Twerp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

Tibs (11-28-2013)

I would say if they signed Garza, Jimenez, or E. Santana to a 5 year deal with the additions of Salty on a 3 year deal and Casey Mcgehee (3B) on a 1 year deal I would give it a 8.5 only because I want them to sign Ellsbury, sadly that's not happening.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 508 Times in 199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A "10" is probably unattainable, but if the Twins sign Kasmir and Navarro/Pierzynski to go along with Nolasco, this would be a pretty damn good off season that would have me giving a grade of 8.875.

I am still in shock that the Twins actually signed Nolasco... Wow and Holy "Bleep".

Nolasco signing (assumed) is great. Need some arms that can pitch. Provides some FA's the idea that the Twins are actually paying attention.

Now, go get Garza. He has been a horse. He's got an attitude and we need that.

I consider the scenario you laid out as a 3. We are shooting too low, and with some key 'over pays' we can change things here.

Then, go get Cano (see thread I started on it).

Nolasco, Garza, and Cano, then Twins have an off-season that gets us excited about 2014. I did the math in my head while I think that still leaves money in the budget and provides the Twins some trade chips (Dozier) or someone for SS...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    WOW! that must hurt.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A 6. The more I look at the numbers, the more I like Nolasco. He approaches Garza performance for 50% less money and one less year. Smart signing.

Pick up Kazmir and it becomes a 9. Pick up Pelfrey and Salty and it becomes an 8. Pick up Pelfrey and Navarro and it's a 7.

I'm floored by how many people want the Twins to go out and drop $80m on Garza. That's bad baseball... In 2016-2017, the Twins would be paying three players in their mid-30s roughly $60m.

That doesn't leave a lot of room to pay the kids and fill potential holes when this roster actually looks good.

Get Nolasco this season, reevaluate need next offseason and act accordingly. Buying everybody in one offseason is a good way to hamstring yourself in 3-4 years.

22. This user likes Brock Beauchamp's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

howieramone (11-28-2013)

I'd give it an 8. I'm still optimistic on Pelfrey.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    A 6. The more I look at the numbers, the more I like Nolasco. He approaches Garza performance for 50% less money and one less year. Smart signing.

Pick up Kazmir and it becomes a 9. Pick up Pelfrey and Salty and it becomes an 8. Pick up Pelfrey and Navarro and it's a 7.

I'm floored by how many people want the Twins to go out and drop $80m on Garza. That's bad baseball... In 2016-2017, the Twins would be paying three players in their mid-30s roughly $60m.

That doesn't leave a lot of room to pay the kids and fill potential holes when this roster actually looks good.

Get Nolasco this season, reevaluate need next offseason and act accordingly. Buying everybody in one offseason is a good way to hamstring yourself in 3-4 years.
    Approaches Garza's performance? How? There's like half a run difference in ERA, after all.

I am not one to look at one year (2013) and judge.

I give it a 4 right now, since Nolasco is basically a 4th starter. A 3 if Pelfrey is signed. A 4 if Navarro is signed. A 6 if Salty is signed instead of Navarro. Kazmir = 7, Hughes = 6, Arroyo = 6 (all instead of Pelfrey).

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Approaches Garza's performance? How? There's like half a run difference in ERA, after all.
    ERA? how about W-L?

2013 Nolasco: 3.72 SIERA, 3.58 xFIP, 19.8 K%, 1.32 GB/FB
    2013 Garza: 3.79 SIERA, 3.73 xFIP, 20.9 K%, 1.01 GB/FB

Depends on how you cut it, Nolasco might have actually been better than Garza, if anything

As far as grades go, I'd have to give it a 4 too. They need a lefty in the rotation and this will mean Gardy trotting out Diamond. Not. that. great. Go get Kazmir
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast