Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dioner Navarro a Twin?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Doumit doesn't hit well enough to not be a catcher and he doesn't catch well enough to be a catcher. Pretty much every team knows this.

The Twins should absolutely not stick with what they have. If Pinto disappoints as a rookie or gets injured then we are looking at a season of Herrmann/Doumit/Fryer behind he plate. I think CF last year showed us how important a little depth is behind an unproven rookie. Navarro isn't a very good match but it's much better than having Herrmann or Doumit catching a lot of games.
    What about Navarro's career numbers indicates that he is a better value than 500K Chris Herrmann, if such a Pinto scenario happens?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    I just gotta roll my eyes at all the "catching experts" who think Pinto needs to start the year in AAA to work on his defense. For goodness sakes, he can flat out rake. His defensive deficiencies are so overblown. Let him work them out ON THE JOB under Steinbach's guidance.
    Yeah, I endorse this.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    I think that pitch framing could impact 8-10% of the AB which would likely affect 8-10% of the runs scored, It may not change the number of runs scored but change the AB in which the runs are plated, set up, runners advance.....
    If pitch framing is this important, then MLB needs a way to automate strike and ball calls.

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    If pitch framing is this important, then MLB needs a way to automate strike and ball calls.
    If that happens, baseball may as well pack their bags.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    What about Navarro's career numbers indicates that he is a better value than 500K Chris Herrmann, if such a Pinto scenario happens?
    He has actually played at the MLB level. It's not a real good match for the Twins though. He's much better from the right handed side and Pinto is also a righty. But this would put Pinto in the position where he was the primary starter with an experienced backup.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Yeah, Doumit's value is as a DH, pinch hitter (from both sides, adds value) and as that third catcher on the roster that can fill-in as backup catcher for a DL stint from one of the other two catchers (so they don't have to call another player up). There is some value there.
    Ok so your saying keeping Doumit will improve the team?
    Dont we already have Arcia,Parmele,Willingham and Pinto who are going to need time in the DH spot?Do we really need a 3rd catcher this year? If needed, a catcher for 1 game couldnt Joe slide back behind the plate for 1 game or half a game till the plane lands for Rochester?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 537 Times in 349 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that many have gone overboard on the Doumit's defense behind the dish. He doesn't excel at anything, but he's passable in most areas (arm, blocking pitches, working with the pitchers and maybe calling a good game. I doubt Pinto will DH much, if at all, if he makes the club (I'd put the over-under at 5 games). If the Twins add a catcher, I would hope it would be a veteran who can work with Pinto and the young pitchers on the staff. I know that Navarro was available for nothing once (DFAed or released) and maybe a second time as well. He's had a couple of good years and was horrible the rest. If he were a great receiver, teams would look the other way when he struggled at the plate, but he has moved around, indicating to me that he is not a defensive wizard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Ok so your saying keeping Doumit will improve the team?
    Dont we already have Arcia,Parmele,Willingham and Pinto who are going to need time in the DH spot?Do we really need a 3rd catcher this year? If needed, a catcher for 1 game couldnt Joe slide back behind the plate for 1 game or half a game till the plane lands for Rochester?
    NO! I want nothing to do with him. I want him gone and was just saying that he has some value for how cheap he is. In. terms. of. a. trade.

Blog Entries
    Signing Navarro would be a desperate "let's sign someone, anybody, anybody at all" move. This is clear.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Signing Navarro would be a desperate "let's sign someone, anybody, anybody at all" move. This is clear.
    Maybe, but it would be nice to have at least one capable, known commodity at catcher on the roster. kab's right, CF should've been a lesson on being obviously thin at a premium defensive position.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,597 Times in 830 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think a guy like Navarro is a good idea. Slot him in and let Pinto acclimate to the majors and then reevaluate the position in 2015.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Is there anything the Twins can do you would actually like? I have seen you say you don't like a lot of things lately.
    Nolasco and Navarro. Who else have I been negatively-linked to out there?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    I like the Navarro idea. Especially if he came aboard with the understanding that he is here to help season his fellow Venezuelan, Pinto. A year or two at $2.5 per should get it done.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    NO! I want nothing to do with him. I want him gone and was just saying that he has some value for how cheap he is. In. terms. of. a. trade.
    Whew..Me bad , while Doumit was a decent add for the 1st contract, he just isint a guy who should get 400 at bats in a season,especially in the outfield

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,289 Times in 520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat14 View Post
    I like the Navarro idea. Especially if he came aboard with the understanding that he is here to help season his fellow Venezuelan, Pinto. A year or two at $2.5 per should get it done.

No "or twos" though. Guys like that shouldn't get a second year, unless it happens to come in the form of a team option (with little to no buyout).
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Nolasco and Navarro. Who else have I been negatively-linked to out there?
    Offering 4 poor players for Homer Bailey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123