Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Aaron Crow

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 200 Posts

Aaron Crow

According to MLBTR The Royals are shopping Crow, apparently he is due a raise (1.9 mil)

Worth taking a flyer on? He has pretty nice stuff.

Also somewhat related, I have a buddy in KC who sees him at a bar a few times a year, apparently Crow thinks he can still start and is frustrated a bit KC never gave him a shot, is he worth kicking the tires on and putting him in the Twins rotation? If that doesn't work, he is still a nice arm and could slot in nicely for the 8th inning guy/replacement for Perkins if traded, and you could always just non tender Swarzak or Duensing to save the "money"

Obviously I wouldn't give up any of the top 15 prospects for him, but maybe there is a fit?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    Yeah, I thought the same thing. If the Twins got their hands on him I'd want them to try to stretch him out. I never understood what happend there. The guy only had one full season of organized minor league ball and that was when he was placed almost immediately in AA. It didn't go well and his stock went down. Still, the Royals thought enough of him to give him a spot on the 25-man the next year despite only having that one season of minor league action.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 11-25-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 321 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Crow isn't some Swarzak type who would simply need to be stretched out a little further to start again. The last two seasons, Crow has averaged significantly LESS than 1 IP per game. Maybe it's how the Royals bullpen is being deployed, but it seems like he's even further from starting than your average reliever.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I know the Royals have long been a dysfunctional organization, but I trust that they have enough good baseball minds that when they choose not to have Crow start they probably have a good reason or two.

It's not like the Royals had a rockstar abundance-of-riches rotation. If Crow could have helped the team by starting, he probably would have.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    If the Twins think Crow can start, I would use our 5-15 prospects. He came out of the same draft as Gibson and was a highly regarded starter. I never understood why they didn't develop him as a starter, except for the fact they could get immediate value as a relief pitcher. Kansas City hasn't made the play-offs in 28 years. Some organizations take more shortcuts than others.
    Last edited by howieramone; 11-25-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    I know the Royals have long been a dysfunctional organization, but I trust that they have enough good baseball minds that when they choose not to have Crow start they probably have a good reason or two.

It's not like the Royals had a rockstar abundance-of-riches rotation. If Crow could have helped the team by starting, he probably would have.
    They may have an unknown reason now, but actually initially I think he was placed in the pen because the Royals had lots of rotation options. They signed Jeff Francis and had Bruce Chen. They also were still trying to make 1st overall pick Luke Hochaver work. In AAA they had about five young arms they thought were ready to contribute including highly rated Danny Duffy and Mike Montgomery. I thought the assumption was that Crow was going to start the season in the bullpen until a spot opened up, but then he became an All-Star so they just left him there.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 11-25-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    They may have an unknown reason now, but actually initially I think he was placed in the pen because the Royals had lots of rotation options. They signed Jeff Francis and had Bruce Chen. They also were still trying to make 1st overall pick Luke Hochaver work. In AAA they had about five young arms they thought were ready to contribute including highly rated Danny Duffy and Mike Montgomery. I thought the assumption was that Crow was going to start the season in the rotation until a spot opened up, but then he became an All-Star so they just left him there.
    Look at those names the Royals had in their rotation, though. Francis, Chen, Hochevar, Duffy, etc.... the Royals needed better starters and they never gave Crow a spot there. Why would they be trying to trade him now if he could be a good starter? I have to think they know Crow better than we do.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    Look at those names the Royals had in their rotation, though. Francis, Chen, Hochevar, Duffy, etc.... the Royals needed better starters and they never gave Crow a spot there. Why would they be trying to trade him now if he could be a good starter? I have to think they know Crow better than we do.
    I agree those names aren't impressive now, but in 2011 they were still hoping for Hochaver and there was extreme optimism about Duffy and Montgomery. They also had high hopes for Sean O'Sullivan and Vin Mazzaro. It's not an impressive group now, but Duffy and Montgomery were in a higher class than Crow.

I do wonder why he never got another chance at the rotation, I think it was a mistake. They do know him better than we do, and there may be some unknown reason, but I suspect it was because he was an All-Star reliever and they changed course with him and had designs on him becoming an All-Star closer.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 200 Posts
    The royals have been a terribly run franchise overall the past 25 years, isn't it possible they messed up with crow?

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd take him without thinking twice. Wonderful arm... Still young... College teammate of Gibson I believe.

KC would be goofy to move him.
    A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 663 Times in 374 Posts
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-st...w-a-good-idea/

this seems relevant. I wouldn't give up as much as some here, trying to predict his results can be dicey. His repertoire is limited so he would really need to keep that velocity where it is.