Thread: KBO All Star Yoon Suk-Min?

KBO All Star Yoon Suk-Min?

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/ar...r_you/15149750

First post, so I hope it works.

Looks like he will be coming over. What do you think?

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Interesting to see us linked so strongly to him. The shoulder/other injuries are a big concern here, however. Maybe giving him some consistency in his roles would limit the chance of future injury. I wouldn't make a huge commitment to get him, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we gave him maybe a 3-4 yr. contract heavy on incentives.
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    I would be fine with bringing in Min as long as he is the 2nd best pitcher the Twins sign this off-season. (I put him above the Kazmir's, Arroyos, and maybe even Nolasco personally)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Boras client or not, a pitcher with a questionable shoulder from the KBO won't be expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if $3 million per year would be the high end estimation, especially considering he wants out and has less leverage than most Asian imports. Certainly a cheaper and higher upside choice than the zero-ceiling, back-end starters this team normally signs.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His numbers (at maybe a lower level of competition) are slightly below those that his 4-year junior Trevor May put this season at AA.

No, thank you.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

If he's our fifth signing after 2 power pitchers (E. Santana & Garza or Nolasco) and a couple of big sticks (Saltalamacchia & Beltran) I'd be fine with the longshot signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzy34 View Post
    If he's our fifth signing after 2 power pitchers (E. Santana & Garza or Nolasco) and a couple of big sticks (Saltalamacchia & Beltran) I'd be fine with the longshot signing.
    I think at most the Twins sign two legit pitchers and one legit stick. If they somehow get Garza+Santana, I frankly think they would be done (and i would be 100% fine with that)

Beltran would be an amazing target, but there is about a .0001% chance he would come here.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    His numbers (at maybe a lower level of competition) are slightly below those that his 4-year junior Trevor May put this season at AA.

No, thank you.
    Again with the irrelevant apples and oranges comparisons.

His career ERA is over a run and a half lower then May's AA numbers, additionally May walks twice as many people.

While he may never turn out to be a star, or even an average pitcher, the potential is certainly there for him to be a #3/#4(otherwise, why would Boras even waste his time with him?)

I think a nice #4 would be more realistic since he isn't an innings workhorse. But at the end of the day, a comp to Trevor May (who pitches nothing like him) is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I think at most the Twins sign two legit pitchers and one legit stick. If they somehow get Garza+Santana, I frankly think they would be done (and i would be 100% fine with that)

Beltran would be an amazing target, but there is about a .0001% chance he would come here.
    So, you're saying there's a chance....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Again with the irrelevant apples and oranges comparisons.

His career ERA is over a run and a half lower then May's AA numbers, additionally May walks twice as many people.

While he may never turn out to be a star, or even an average pitcher, the potential is certainly there for him to be a #3/#4(otherwise, why would Boras even waste his time with him?)

I think a nice #4 would be more realistic since he isn't an innings workhorse. But at the end of the day, a comp to Trevor May (who pitches nothing like him) is pointless.
    I was talking about their 2013 numbers:

2013 Yoon Suk-min: 4.00 ERA, 87.7 IP, 28 BB, 76 K, 91 H, 1 HBP, 1.37 WHIP, 7.80 K/9, 2.72 K/BB

2013 Trevor May: 4.51 ERA (3.79 FIP), 151.2 IP, 67 BB, 159 K, 1.42 WHIP (.329 BABIP), 9.44 K/9, 2.37 K/BB

I don't care what he did in previous seasons, but he has regressed this season and the reason is injury that allegedly was suffered because of poor mechanics. Feel free to take that risk, I'd rather go with May.

As far as Boras' clients go, Jeff Manship was one too
    -----

Senior Member All-Star
    I was talking about their 2013 numbers:

2013 Yoon Suk-min: 4.00 ERA, 87.7 IP, 28 BB, 76 K, 91 H, 1 HBP, 1.37 WHIP, 7.80 K/9, 2.72 K/BB

2013 Trevor May: 4.51 ERA (3.79 FIP), 151.2 IP, 67 BB, 159 K, 1.42 WHIP (.329 BABIP), 9.44 K/9, 2.37 K/BB

I don't care what he did in previous seasons, but he has regressed this season and the reason is injury that allegedly was suffered because of poor mechanics. Feel free to take that risk, I'd rather go with May.

As far as Boras' clients go, Jeff Manship was one too
    Why do they have to choose betwee Min or May? Why can't they have them both? The guy is likely going to cost $2-3 million per year. The Twins normally spend twice that on one single pitcher who everyone can clearly see will be a bust before spring training even gets under way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Why do they have to choose betwee Min or May? Why can't they have them both? The guy is likely going to cost $2-3 million per year. The Twins normally spend twice that on one single pitcher who everyone can clearly see will be a bust before spring training even gets under way.
    The point is that with similar numbers in 2013 facing similar competition, May is not deemed MLB-ready for 2014. Unlike May, Yoon Suk-min is not a prospect. He is at his peak. And his peak is a AAAA pitcher and the Twins have plenty of those. The May comparison is a way of saying that what Suk-min can do now, so can May.
    -----

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Where are you getting this $2-3M AAV figure? In a reasonably competitive market I don't see this guy going for less than $5M/yr, minimum. There are many teams who would take a flier on someone like this for more than $2-3M/yr.

What's the maximum you would offer this guy?
    Bring a song and a smile for the banjo,
    Better get while the gettin's good
    Catch a ride to the end of the highway
    Where the neons turn to wood

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I have to question the $3M esimate, too. If he's signed as a starter, and a 3/4/5 starter ta that, I don't know why he wouldn't go for $8M.

Thrylos could be right about the level of competition. This wasn't even the Japanese league he pitched in. It was the Korea league. And from what that story said, it doesn't sound like these shoulder problems are new this year; they have been the reason he's bounced between the starting and relieving role throughout his career.

I'm glad to hear the Twins have been heavily scouting him. Whatever the situation, I trust them to know what's going on with him.

Senior Member All-Star
    The point is that with similar numbers in 2013 facing similar competition, May is not deemed MLB-ready for 2014. Unlike May, Yoon Suk-min is not a prospect. He is at his peak. And his peak is a AAAA pitcher and the Twins have plenty of those. The May comparison is a way of saying that what Suk-min can do now, so can May.
    But why would you only base the decision on the 2013 numbers, should the previous seasons not factor in? His shoulder injury should be a concern, but the Twins almost certainly won't sign him if it is still troubling. Thus if the uber-cautious Twins are interested, his shoulder is likely healthy and his injury plagued 2013 season should probably not be so heavily weighted.

Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Where are you getting this $2-3M AAV figure? In a reasonably competitive market I don't see this guy going for less than $5M/yr, minimum. There are many teams who would take a flier on someone like this for more than $2-3M/yr.

What's the maximum you would offer this guy?
    Honestly I pulled the $3 million out of my butt (don't tell my wife I hide it there). I guess my faulty logic included the fact that Hyun jin-Ryu gets to be the bench mark. He got $6 million per year but was younger, bigger, put up better numbers and didn't have the injury question marks. Ryu was very well regarded, immediatly making top 100 prospect lists. I doubt Min will get the same kind of hype so I guess I figure he won't get nearly the contract.

16. This user likes nicksaviking's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

ashburyjohn (11-25-2013)