Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The greatest blueprint you will ever see

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts

The greatest blueprint you will ever see

Couple things: This is in order to get the Twins to a .500 record in 2014, and to build them into a title contender in 2015, additionally money will be saved for the 2015 FA class as well with this plan (where they have another 16 mil coming off the books with Willingham, Doumit and Correia)

I think currently the Twins have about 55 mil owed this year in payroll, this plan assumes they would go up to 88 million in payroll this year, and then have enough money to sign an ACE or more pitchers in 2015 with about 20-25 mil to spend in the market.

Here. We. Go

1. Sign Salty to a 3 year/30 mil contract- Here is the thing, I like Pinto, but he is very unproven, esp defensively. Salty is a pretty damn good catcher defensively and has shown some nice power the past few years, he is still in his prime and give you some reassurance now that Mauer is the first baseman. IF Pinto proves to be up to snuff defensively and offensively down the road, you could always trade one of him or Salty who projects to be a 2.9 WAR player next year which is certainly worth 10 mil a year on a reasonable contract.

2. Sign Garza- 5 years 80 mil. Of course there is risk, but Garza is a damn fine pitcher and would immediately become the Twins ace (ideally Meyer passes him eventually) 5 years is a long time, but Garza should hold up and won't be insanely old by the end of the contract.

3. Sign Hughes- 3 years 30 mil. If you can get Arroyo for 2 years, I guess you can do that as well. However Hughes seems like a perfect change of scenary type guy, he has good stuff, has a respectable K/BB ratio and unlike Arroyo is still young. I think Hughes could be a very nice #3 for the Twins moving forward.

4. Sign Joba- 2 years 3.5 mil- See above, getting out of Yankee stadium could be great for him, the upside is certainly there and he shouldn't cost a lot. At best he could become your set up guy or closer (if they trade Perkins)

5. Sign Johan Santana- 1 year 1 mil (+ 2 mil in innings incentives)- This is a lighting in a bottle signing.

By signing Salty, the Twins suddenly have nice depth at every position but SS for 2015.

C- Salty, Pinto
    1B- Mauer
    2B- Dozier, Rosario
    SS-???
    3B- Sano....Plouffe (meh)
    OF- Buxton, Arica and a whole smattering of high upside guys like Hicks, Rosario who could fit in as well. (Also you can always get a big hitting corner OF)

You can then add on another high upside pitcher in the 2015 FA market and fix whatever other holes the team may have.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 340 Times in 193 Posts
    If this happened, "ecstatic" wouldn't even begin to cover it for me.

My math was off, this would put our payroll right around 90 mil I believe. However, still would have 20-30 mil next off-season assuming they would go back to a 100 mil payroll.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    I don't understand the obsession around here to give Hughes a 3 year deal. I rather go a 1 year deal with a team option like Liriano's deal.

Because 3 years would make sure you get Hughes and it doesn't do anything to hurt your long-term budget. He's a good fit here and potential to breakout.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Because 3 years would make sure you get Hughes and it doesn't do anything to hurt your long-term budget. He's a good fit here and potential to breakout.
    Yup, also he would never agree to a Liriano type deal (hell, Liriano was a fool to agree to it, but only did because of the injury)

I'd even consider going 4 years on Hughes for a lower AAV (see: Vargas)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Also of note:

Hughes in Yankee stadium: 4.98 ERA in his career.
    Hughes on the road: 4.10 ERA in his career.

He is a flyball pitcher, so moving to Minnesota would help.

Liked 109 Times in 59 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Also of note:

Hughes in Yankee stadium: 4.98 ERA in his career.
    Hughes on the road: 4.10 ERA in his career.

He is a flyball pitcher, so moving to Minnesota would help.
    I wonder if Hughes would rather have a one-year deal. Has anyone heard anything about that?

As for the blueprint, it's the same strategy I would advocate - go get some guys you really like for the long term.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 69 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    I wonder if Hughes would rather have a one-year deal. Has anyone heard anything about that?

As for the blueprint, it's the same strategy I would advocate - go get some guys you really like for the long term.
    Several reports have suggested he would be open to signing a one year deal, might prefer it, to build value.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    With several teams looking at Hughes, including Huston and Miami, it will be telling if he lands in 1 of those 2 places

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    In your plan what role does Joba have?
    starter, reliever?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    In your plan what role does Joba have?
    starter, reliever?
    99% chance a RP

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    You just wish something like this would actually happen. Adding a good starter (Garza, Ervin or Ubaldo) shouldn't be out of the question. Adding a solid catcher could actually happen. Another starter like Hughes is unfortunately unreasonable for this FO.

But that's not the greatest Twins blueprint ever. Subtract out Hughes and Joba and sign Capuano (2/14) and a legitimately good hitter like Choo (5/90). Completely unreasonable to expect but that gives you a nice lineup with Mauer, Choo, Willy, Dozier and Salty with Sano, Buxton, Rosario, Hicks coming up. And it's a survivable pitching staff - Garza, Capuano, Correia with Meyer and Gibson coming up and enough money to spend next year.

Liked 664 Times in 429 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm on board with this. Not exactly how I'd do it... But I'll get on board.

I love the title of the thread... Go get em... Vodkadave.
    "9. Lipstick"

"How can Canada produce Tie Domi and not have a better military"?

"I noticed while robbing the First State Bank last night that if you go into the vault when nobody is looking... You can get away with it".

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
    This is a blueprint I could really get behind.

Well done, sir.

Liked 1,035 Times in 470 Posts
    Great plan, and realistic to boot.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
    Don't have any major issues with your blue-print. I would however substitute AJ for Saltalamacchia. Offer him a 1-2 year deal for about the same $7.5/year he made this season, and let him know he is here to mentor Pinto and play about half the time.

As for pitching, Garza & Hughes are my prime targets as well. Both have good stuff and are around the plate, with the potential for anchoring the rotation for a few seasons. Both could be had for total commitment of less than $25M per season and not totally muck up our payroll down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by mudcat14 View Post
    Don't have any major issues with your blue-print. I would however substitute AJ for Saltalamacchia. Offer him a 1-2 year deal for about the same $7.5/year he made this season, and let him know he is here to mentor Pinto and play about half the time.

I don't mind AJ, but IMO the issue with him is age, he is going to be 37 and if you sign him for 2 years at best he is going to put up his career line, at least with a guy like Salty there is the the potential that he continues to improve.

If AJ would come here on a one year 5 mil dollar deal, sure, thats a fine back up plan.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 86 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well thought out and practical. I also prefer an investment in players we can see building with, not just getting by with for a year or so. (Arroyo) Like Hughes as second FA SP but lean toward Kazmir, would be OK with AJ at catcher as well. Wouldn't even need Joba, though I'd love to have him. A solid bullpen is already better next season just not getting beat up so badly.

What is also nice is this sound plan is actually do-able.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Great plan, and realistic to boot.
    That's the most difficult part of this. It could, and should happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast