Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Chasing Top Catcher Jarrod Saltalmacchia?

Liked 50 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    Do you have some examples of some 'fact based models'...? Perhaps you have a working definition that should be shared. It's fine to point out someone is wrong, but if you don't teach or show, then what value have you really offered?

Can you provide some sort of statistical analysis to aid his case? How about a simple linear regression model based models and optimization based on similar catchers.

Do you know how lucky Salty was this year? His BABIP was .372. So when he actually got the ball in play (roughly 70% of the time, 30 K%) he did pretty well. But do you know how likely he is to put that up? I mean, without even using Bayes Theorem or some other likelihood of events reoccurring formula.

In 2012, his BABIP was .265. In 2011 it was .304. For 2009 it was .320. But, remember, he doesn't put that ball in play that much. 30% K rate...

So Salty swings and misses. A lot. But, he also only plays 120g a year, well only twice (sorry, not a fact based model, just a fact). And by definition, he hasn't had a full season in 7 seasons based on plate appearances (501 needed). I struggle with the idea that someone could give a guy 12.5%+ of your payroll (for an $80M payroll, e.g. Twins) for the next 3 seasons with that kind of production or cost. If he cost 5% of your payroll ($150M total, e.g. Red Sox), sure, it makes more sense in terms of payback ROI.

I do stats for a living. I've taught AP Calculus for years before switching into industry to do analytics. Instead of saying something arbitrary that has no real data points or relevance. Please show me your statistics points versus your opinions and projections on me. This isn't SABR where everything has to be a statistic either. I'm a member, so if you are too, maybe we should take our SQL, Excel, R, and head over there instead?

And then, just acknowledge what did happen. Salty did sit for 4 of the 6 World Series games. I don't know how that's not an important stat. As Herm Edwards said, "You play to win the game!"
    I won't rebut your whole post, for fear of running out of space on the internet. I don't need to teach someone of your skill-level about the fact-based models that you claimed to be using -- you should know better. Again, I've taken issue with your attempts to use selective stats intermingled with opinion to frame a case against Salty. The BABIP and consistency stuff was your best effort yet. Again, I don't love the guy or even have some supremely great desire for the Twins to sign him... but sheesh, you'd think he ran over your dog when you were in Texas. Personally, I think he's worth a 2 year deal at 8M per, but welcome to free agency -- he'll get more.

The playing time piece is not relevant. A starting pitcher will be in 30 some games, but you don't see that used to factor what salary they deserve. 120 games isn't unreasonable for a catcher on a team with a decent backup, as has been the case. The WS bit isn't relevant either. If the Red Sox had lost so much faith as you're suggesting, why have they made him significant offers (per multiple reports)?

Throwing out terms from statistics isn't quite as intimidating as you may think. And, for the record, I prefer JMP, SAS, and Tableau... but no, I won't be meeting you on SABR.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How many runs can be saved by pitch framing and sequencing? If it is as significant as the Rays, Pirates and a Yankees believe, the Twins should be looking to improve their defense at catching.

If the catcher has little impact on runs scored, then there is little to distinguish Salty from Doumit.

We will learn a little about how the a Twins value defense at catcher as they build the roster this winter. It certainly has not been a priority in the previous two years. Maybe it shouldn't be.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    In re: to the World Series bit.

Let's not pretend Farrell didn't do a ton of weird things in the playoffs/world series in regards to his lineup:

1. Pinch hitting Brandon Workman a pitcher...in the world series...in a big spot...with Mike Napoli on the bench.

2.Playing Gomes over Nava for no real reason.

It really didn't matter who was behind the plate for the Red Sox, they won the world series because Papi basically was in full beast mode.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dave, check your inbox and delete stuff to get my message.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Dude, nobody is saying he is going to match his 2013 output offensively, NOBODY. Is. Saying. That. In fact, Kab referenced being happy with his .740 OPS (which is what he did in his "worst" in Boston) I agree.

Target Field IMO might take a home run or two away from Salty potentially (every relevant HR example you point out only has a decrease of one or two HRs in home vs away...Florimon is irrelevant), but most likely those one or two balls turn into doubles anyways, and as Kab pointed out via OPS examples, his overall OPS would not likely take a hit because of the stadium.

The notion that Target Field is some sort of canyon and pitchers park is frankly false. Park factors has TF right in the middle.
    That is absolutely possible that his overall OPS might not be affected much... And if you're happy with .740 OPS from Salty, that's fine... But for that money and those years (mostly the years), I'd want to see more than that. Salty at a .740 OPS is not a very good offensive player. Given that his OBP is absolutely atrocious, the vast majority of that OPS is coming from slugging, which isn't *quite* as valuable as avoiding the out. If there's such a thing as an "empty" .740 OPS, he'd be the poster child for it.

That doesn't mean Saltalamacchia is a bad player. He seems to be decent defensively and that "empty" OPS is still pretty high for a catcher. But I don't know if that's what the Twins need in 2015 and 2016, which is why I'm hesitant about signing him. Again, like Ervin Santana, I hate signing a guy coming off what looks like a career year, going into a ballpark that might hurt him a little, adding even more strikeouts to a strikeout-happy lineup, and stacking an already lefty-dominant lineup even more to that side of the plate.

In short, I think there are better options out there for 2014 and beyond. Not at catcher, but that's okay with me... If Pinto collapses in 2014, reevaluate the position and go from there in 2015. I think a stop-gap catcher like Navarro is just fine for what will probably be a very bad 2014 squad. Put that money into pitching, pick up a couple of stop-gap position players, and let it ride.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I won't rebut your whole post, for fear of running out of space on the internet. I don't need to teach someone of your skill-level about the fact-based models that you claimed to be using -- you should know better. Again, I've taken issue with your attempts to use selective stats intermingled with opinion to frame a case against Salty. The BABIP and consistency stuff was your best effort yet. Again, I don't love the guy or even have some supremely great desire for the Twins to sign him... but sheesh, you'd think he ran over your dog when you were in Texas. Personally, I think he's worth a 2 year deal at 8M per, but welcome to free agency -- he'll get more.

The playing time piece is not relevant. A starting pitcher will be in 30 some games, but you don't see that used to factor what salary they deserve. 120 games isn't unreasonable for a catcher on a team with a decent backup, as has been the case. The WS bit isn't relevant either. If the Red Sox had lost so much faith as you're suggesting, why have they made him significant offers (per multiple reports)?

Throwing out terms from statistics isn't quite as intimidating as you may think. And, for the record, I prefer JMP, SAS, and Tableau... but no, I won't be meeting you on SABR.
    1. Read John's original post...the tone of the argument was not over the top 'advanced metrics'...was about a 3 yr 30M deal. That quote said it was a no-brainer. I would disagree...as did a good many people. And others thought 3y/30M is a good deal. That seems to be the 'over/under'...

As mentioned above, Saltalamacchia is a 28-year-old switch-hitting catcher who has hit 55 home run over the last three years with the Red Sox (which explains why this report is coming from a Boston newspaper). His OPS over those 3 years is .763, which would've been second on the Twins last year. Overall, those numbers about match what Ryan Doumit did back in 2012, which is very solid.
    2. Tableau is a BI software, it's more on the visual end than the back end. I have exposure to Tableau and can use it at work, but I don't have personal access to Tableau or SAS for personal use. Just too expensive. R is open source, Excel comes with any MS Office program commonly installed on most PCs, and SQL Server Studio 2012 is also free for personal use. If I had $10K to spend on software I might consider those you mentioned for personal use, but again, I probably wouldn't. To relate it to this article, AJ is like the old open source software I use. Gets the same results, cheaper. Salty is the newer sexier option, but you will pay 2-3x what you would pay for.

3. Playing time is not relevant? Well, again, it was on a dependent player vs team salary equation. Not stand alone. We want Joe Mauer to play. He played 75g at catcher, 113 total, 503 PA. Is that the best use of his $23M salary for the Twins? If he only plays and catches 120g this year? Salty has two 120 game seasons and three over 100 g on his resume of 7 major league seasons. These are guaranteed contracts and the Twins don't have the luxury other teams do. Playing time matters. He hasn't even met one full season of plate appearances. It matters. We agree to disagree. That's fine. If one catcher is 5-10% better (choose whatever metric you want) than the other catcher and averages 70-120 g a year and the other catcher isn't quite as good but gives me 120-145 g a year, I'll take the guy who plays 120-145 g year every time.

4. K%. It matters. I want a guy who can make contact with the ball. If you can do a .280/.360/.480 or better stat line, I can maybe handle 30% K rate. But that's not Salty. Take whatever advanced metrics you want or simple ones. If you can't make contact...when I need to push a runner over or get a sac fly...and I have to pinch hit for you because you aren't a sure thing to make contact? That's an extra roster spot...once again, playing time is relevant. If I need 2 players (Terry Ryan has reiterated this a lot in the platoon questions) for one position...what does that say about you? I do need 2 catchers, but do I need a 3rd on the roster type of thinking.

5. There's a good number of reports the Red Sox are after AJ, too. Just reports at this time. I don't have insider knowledge. One is perhaps a smoke screen for the other to bring the price down to see who wants to play in Boston.

6. The World Series isn't relevant? I believe it is. Kirk Gibson, hurt leg and all, was put in the game even though he couldn't walk. 1988 World Series. Salty was a healthy scratch. 4 out of 6 games. Do advanced metrics give the favor to Ross as a hitter or receiver? Or were the matchups too savory for Salty? Wacha Wacha Wacha. Does Don Mattingly make the HOF if he has Kirby Puckett's post season record and performance? Does Kirby make the HOF if he doesn't have his post season heroics?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    That is absolutely possible that his overall OPS might not be affected much... And if you're happy with .740 OPS from Salty, that's fine... But for that money and those years (mostly the years), I'd want to see more than that. Salty at a .740 OPS is not a very good offensive player. Given that his OBP is absolutely atrocious, the vast majority of that OPS is coming from slugging, which isn't *quite* as valuable as avoiding the out. If there's such a thing as an "empty" .740 OPS, he'd be the poster child for it.

That doesn't mean Saltalamacchia is a bad player. He seems to be decent defensively and that "empty" OPS is still pretty high for a catcher. But I don't know if that's what the Twins need in 2015 and 2016, which is why I'm hesitant about signing him. Again, like Ervin Santana, I hate signing a guy coming off what looks like a career year, going into a ballpark that might hurt him a little, adding even more strikeouts to a strikeout-happy lineup, and stacking an already lefty-dominant lineup even more to that side of the plate.

In short, I think there are better options out there for 2014 and beyond. Not at catcher, but that's okay with me... If Pinto collapses in 2014, reevaluate the position and go from there in 2015. I think a stop-gap catcher like Navarro is just fine for what will probably be a very bad 2014 squad. Put that money into pitching, pick up a couple of stop-gap position players, and let it ride.

Yes.

I'm hoping for Dioneer Navarro. 1-2 years, $3-$4m per. Stuart Turner made an appearance in AA last year. We drafted 2 other catchers. Because they don't play a whole lot of games and the yet to be determined value of Pinto - I don't see Free Agency spending being a place where it should be a high priority to spend a lot, e.g. Salty.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goulik View Post
    Pinto has proven as much as Plouffe, Parmalee, Hicks, Colabello and Gibson. That means he has been good as a minor leaguer but not proven it yet at the MLB level. Septembers sample shows he has potential but not that he should be anointed the long term catcher with no competition. I have no problem with bringing him up and giving him a shot. I have a problem of not having a viable catcher and if he fails, we do not have one at all.

The point is it can't hurt, it does help, so why not? If you were talking more than two to three years I would question it. I just don't see a problem with having two good players at a position forcing you to trade one. Ladies and gentlemen, that is a good thing not a problem! Sign him! That is what good teams do! They don't wing it on the prayer that the prospect will pan out!
    Actually, no, all of those guys, proved they were bad. Some had great Sept's and then horrible time after. Pinto has never proved he was anything like them. He may follow their paths, but he has yet to do that. Let's not project others performances onto him.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts

You talk about signing Salty coming off a career year (with two solid years prior, above average for the C position) yet talk about signing Navarro, a guy whose 4 seasons prior to last years "break out" combined for a Drew Butera esque .594 OPS over 800+ PA

If you want to give him 2 million to be your backup or whatever, fine, but don't expect anything out of him, and at that point Pinto better be able to be the everyday guy both offensively (not as worried) and defensively (very worried) otherwise the position is a disaster and you are in the same or worse place heading into next off-season with likely less options.

Frankly Salty and AJ are vastly superior options to Navarro.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,590 Times in 827 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    You talk about signing Salty coming off a career year (with two solid years prior, above average for the C position) yet talk about signing Navarro, a guy whose 4 seasons prior to last years "break out" combined for a Drew Butera esque .594 OPS over 800+ PA

If you want to give him 2 million to be your backup or whatever, fine, but don't expect anything out of him, and at that point Pinto better be able to be the everyday guy both offensively (not as worried) and defensively (very worried) otherwise the position is a disaster and you are in the same or worse place heading into next off-season with likely less options.

Frankly Salty and AJ are vastly superior options to Navarro.
    They are absolutely superior options to Navarro. I never pretended that Navarro is remotely comparable... But he can be had for less years, maybe even one. In fact, I'd pursue AJ if Navarro can't be signed for one year. To go even further, I'd be very high on Saltalamacchia if he can be had on a two year contract... But I'm hesitant to go that third year. I'd rather overpay for two years than add that third season with Pinto on the roster.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Navarro... I view him merely as a stop-gap while banking on the continued progression of Pinto.

Blog Entries
    This is from BaseballReference.com. I changed the PB and WP to per game. The rest show raw data totals, some stats that BR puts in from Baseball Info Solutions and BaseballProjection.com.

Fielding % they are tied for their career. All other defensive categories, Navarro is superior.

Range Factor, Range Factor per 9, Range Factor per Game, CS%, Total Zone Fielding, BIS Defensive Runs Above Avg, etc. Everything.

I guess the statistic where Salty is better is the pitch framing. I don't honestly really think pitch framing is that big of a factor to the control/command of the pitcher. Even so, I'll yield Pitch Framing without any argument.

Fielding statistics for Navarro vs. Saltalamacchia:

Light blue indicates the advantage. Light purple is a tie. Technically if you take it out to 100,000ths, Saltalamacchia wins. .98947 to .98945. So basically one more PO for Navarro and he'd be ahead, it was that close.

Some of the full definitions below of the more 'advanced' stuff that BaseballReference included in the stats pages.

Baseball Stats Key.jpg

Navarro:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...avardi01.shtml

Salty:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...altaja01.shtml
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 11-27-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Pitch framing is essential to the command and control pitcher. Those pitchers need to live on the perimeter of the strike zone. I illustrated games earlier this year where the Twins and Doumit were not getting calls in the bottom quarter of the strike where the other team was getting calls. Same umpire. One game it might have been 6 of 7 pitches in the bottom quarter of the strike zone were called balls.

If a control pitcher can't get strikes called at the bottom of the strike zone they have no choice but pitch up in the zone. Getting hit hard follows.

In this particular game, Gardy in his post game conference said that our pitcher needs do a better job of keeping the ball down. I so badly wanted to hear him say that our catcher needs to do a better job of receiving the low strike without his head bobbing all over the place.

Doumit is the worst pitch framer in baseball. Mauer gets extra high strikes but has trouble at the bottom of the zone. The reports on Pinto were not encouraging in Max Marchi's look at minor league catching.

The best framers have been signed already. Salty is the only above average one left. If he really is skilled in the area, he doesn't need to hit much to be an asset.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgenswest View Post
    Pitch framing is essential to the command and control pitcher. Those pitchers need to live on the perimeter of the strike zone. I illustrated games earlier this year where the Twins and Doumit were not getting calls in the bottom quarter of the strike where the other team was getting calls. Same umpire. One game it might have been 6 of 7 pitches in the bottom quarter of the strike zone were called balls.

If a control pitcher can't get strikes called at the bottom of the strike zone they have no choice but pitch up in the zone. Getting hit hard follows.

In this particular game, Gardy in his post game conference said that our pitcher needs do a better job of keeping the ball down. I so badly wanted to hear him say that our catcher needs to do a better job of receiving the low strike without his head bobbing all over the place.

Doumit is the worst pitch framer in baseball. Mauer gets extra high strikes but has trouble at the bottom of the zone. The reports on Pinto were not encouraging in Max Marchi's look at minor league catching.

The best framers have been signed already. Salty is the only above average one left. If he really is skilled in the area, he doesn't need to hit much to be an asset.
    Thanks for that. Very well articulated.

Do you get the feel that the Twins staff (and maybe other staffs in general) aren't doing much coaching on the pitch framing?

I could see where Mauer, being a full 6'5" would make it naturally tough for any ump to call the low strikes.

I know the research might not go back that far, but does it stretch to guys like Pudge Rodriguez?

It seens Ryan Hanigan is available after just signing a contract with the Reds 3yr/$4M.

NOV. 15: Hanigan "is going to be traded," tweets Olney. Multiple teams are interested in Hanigan, and the Reds feel they can get a good prospect in exchange, Olney adds.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ryan-hanigan/
    I'll have to take a gander to find some of Max Marchi's work.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    The article I saw referencing marchi and related to Pinto from baseball prospectus (free side)

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=21855

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd love to get my greasy hands on Hanigan. He was terrible last year but did have a BABIP of .216. Hanigan was an extremely underrated player from 2009-2012. If the Twins are serious about pursuing Homer Bailey, getting Hanigan thrown in would be a monster coup.
    Works on contingency? No, money down!
    Kevin Slowey was Framed!

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 534 Times in 347 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    I'd love to get my greasy hands on Hanigan. He was terrible last year but did have a BABIP of .216. Hanigan was an extremely underrated player from 2009-2012. If the Twins are serious about pursuing Homer Bailey, getting Hanigan thrown in would be a monster coup.
    Hanigan would serve the Twins' needs very well IMHO. Having a defense-first veteran would be the way I'd want to go if I were the team.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Article/Interview with Ryan Hanigan and catcher defense

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-pitch-framing

18. This user likes jorgenswest's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

snepp (11-29-2013)

Blog Entries

Senior Member All-Star cmathewson's Avatar
    Liked 463 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries

I look at Salty as the replacement for Morneau. If we can get him for $10/yr., we'd be saving $5 mil over what they paid Morny last year and getting better production than Morny gave us. Also, the combo of Salty and Mauer is an upgrade defensively to Morny/Mauer.

At 28, he's just entering his prime as a catcher. They could sign him and Garza at this point with the remaining money (around $25 mil). I see no reason not to do this.
    "If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmathewson View Post
    I look at Salty as the replacement for Morneau. If we can get him for $10/yr., we'd be saving $5 mil over what they paid Morny last year and getting better production than Morny gave us. Also, the combo of Salty and Mauer is an upgrade defensively to Morny/Mauer.

At 28, he's just entering his prime as a catcher. They could sign him and Garza at this point with the remaining money (around $25 mil). I see no reason not to do this.
    Love the name by the way. Story behind it?

I guess I would ask you this:

Would you pay $10M per season for what Morneau did last season?

That's what Salty will give you. That's .740 OPS. area. Or that 108-118 OPS+.

Defensively...

Morneau is a better than average 1B per range factor and fielding %.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...orneju01.shtml

Salty is worse than the average catcher per range factor, CS %, and fielding %
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...altaja01.shtml

Mauer has a better fielding % and CS% than the league average Catcher. But worse range factor.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...auerjo01.shtml

--------------

The Red Sox have $25M more to spend on contracts than 2013 with the new TV contracts.

Ellsbury cost $9M in 2013...lets just get outlandish and say he gets $25M and the Red Sox give it to him.

Currently they only have $88M contributed towards the 2014 Budget (before AJ signing).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Xc&output=html

That said, they could have easily afforded Salty at 3yr $36M without a bump in the road. Salty made $4.5M in 2013. So $8M raise.

But they didn't sign him.

They're other/backup catcher is going to be 37. Their 'next' catching prospect is only in AA...great defender.

Christian Vasquez:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=vazque001chr

MLB.com has him #15 in Boston Red Sox top 20 Prospects.
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/pro...x.jsp?c_id=bos

Bleacher Report, after the 2013 season didn't even have him in the top 10.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-league-season

That said, the Josmil Pinto is often in the Twins top 10. A deeper, more talented farm system.

As seen in Minor League Ball (John Sickels - worked as Researcher for Bill James) and Baseball Prospectus (Jason Parks)

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/...pects-for-2014

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=22250

So...as much crap as Twins fans seem to give Pinto as being hopeless, the Red Sox, who had Salty, know his body of work...and have subpar catching prospects (according to Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, Minor League Ball, etc etc)...and plenty of money to pay Salty.

They let Salty go.

No one believes me, but you don't sit a 'top catcher' for 4 out of the 6 World Series games for a guy hitting .213 who doesn't show much better defensive factors.

Then to reinforce it they signed another 37 year old catcher.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast