Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Chasing Top Catcher Jarrod Saltalmacchia?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    The Twins don't generally trade guys when they are at their peak value. Lately they've been selling low.
    Maybe that is something they need to look at...
    some famouse manager said in the early 1900s it is better to trade a guy 1 year to early , then to trade him 1 year to late..(Connie M.) Also look at Tampa and there system , trade them 2 years before,why,because if they have a bad year they can still bring him back and get a good year out of them and trade the player on the upside rather then on down swing...Just sayin

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Makes sense to me. Helps the team now, and buys time for Pinto to develop more. And it's only $10 M a year. The Twins will still have truckloads of cash to put towards pitching

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    A colossal mistake. The Twins need pitching.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    A colossal mistake. The Twins need pitching.
    You sir are correct we need pitching, but sadly we need more then just 3 quality new starters to compete.Im not completly sold on Salty as our answer to catching position especially if it is 3-4 years, but it is a start, if we can add a quality catcher and a couple of starters who are 2nd tier...aka... Garza,Jimenez type ,we have a shot at getting to .500

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 61 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Salty did strike out in 30% of his at bats last year. just wanted to point that out. seems a bit much.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Agree that Salty for 3-years would be a mistake. He doesn't get on base, drive in runs or throw out base-runners. He does, strike out a ton. I could argue that Pinto is better in each of those areas, right now! The Twins seem to place an extreme value on pitch-framing and handling the staff, strengths of Mauer and alleged weaknesses of Pinto. My question, if Mauer was so good and it's so important, why has our pitching staff been at the bottom of the league for three years running?

Bring in a veteran like AJ on a 1-year, high-dollar deal to platoon with Pinto and season him at the big league level.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Pitch-framing is only for pitchers with enough credibility to warrant it. The Twins' collection of flesh-covered iron-mikes pitch-framing is but a meaningless issue.

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    I would be a big fan of this move. Do it.
    Every post is not every other post. - a wise man

Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    For free agent targets, he may be a good one, not in terms of ability or lack of ability but sign ability. Having won a championship and without having a long tenure with his pervious team, I'd suspect his number one priority is getting playing time and getting paid, something the Twins can offer. I don't think his signing would prohibit the Twins from signing pitching, my biggest concern is Pinto's playing time.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I think the Twins could use another catcher because I'm not sold on Pinto yet and I don't want Doumit catching at all. The length of contract Saltalamacchia will get gives me some pause.

The money the Twins might spend on a catcher shouldn't get in the way of their search for pitching.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins do not have a can't miss prospect at most positions and especially not catcher. People concerned about financials and signing a 10 million dollar position player need to take the time to research the financial situation, salary commitments and available money over the next 5 years before complaining that we need to save it for pitching. I am tired of that arguement every time a non pitcher is discussed. We can sign three starters at 15 million each and still sign this guy and be within budget and not harming future...

Why on earth spend big money on a catcher? Ridiculous. Sign AJ or Buck for a year and load up on pitching. For goodness sakes, what more does Pinto have to prove? Sure maybe he's not a finished product, but let him learn on the job. Its not like they're contending in 2014 anyway.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    If we can sign Salty (which I am 100% for) we suddenly have some nice pieces/depth at every position for 2015+ with the exception of SS and/or DH (if that counts)

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IIRC during the world series, weren't they talking some about his clubhouse leadership skills and ability to adjust to and work with a pitching staff? Given the young nature of our staff (and team in general once the kids replace the old guys) that in itself might be worth making this move.

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marta Shearing View Post
    Why on earth spend big money on a catcher? Ridiculous. Sign AJ or Buck for a year and load up on pitching. For goodness sakes, what more does Pinto have to prove? Sure maybe he's not a finished product, but let him learn on the job. Its not like they're contending in 2014 anyway.
    Pinto has proven as much as Plouffe, Parmalee, Hicks, Colabello and Gibson. That means he has been good as a minor leaguer but not proven it yet at the MLB level. Septembers sample shows he has potential but not that he should be anointed the long term catcher with no competition. I have no problem with bringing him up and giving him a shot. I have a problem of not having a viable catcher and if he fails, we do not have one at all.

The point is it can't hurt, it does help, so why not? If you were talking more than two to three years I would question it. I just don't see a problem with having two good players at a position forcing you to trade one. Ladies and gentlemen, that is a good thing not a problem! Sign him! That is what good teams do! They don't wing it on the prayer that the prospect will pan out!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a big fan of this move if it happens. Salty has always underperformed and thats why he has bounced around in his career. Spend the money on pitching. Although im not sold on Pinto lets see what he's got, were so bad anyway would signing Salty make a difference?NO

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 516 Times in 204 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Saltalamacchia signed with the Twins, like most, at the onset of the signing I would be pretty stoked.

After that, I would start thinking about how he was non-existent offensively in Arlington, Texas, which is a ball park that is more than offensive friendly. When Boston acquired him, it seemed to rejuvenate his hitting ability, but Fenway is also an excellent ballpark to have some fun things happen with the bat.

I don't know what happened in Texas and it was nice to see a former top prospect find his groove in Boston.

My fear is that Target Field will neutralize his offensive game and he will be a total wash.

I don't know Salty's splits and someone can certainly call me out and prove me wrong on this one.

He is too risky to sign @ 30M for 3 years. A number I fully expect him to get.

Although Pinto struggled a bit when first introduced to Class A levels, after crushing it in Rookie league, he went on to really rake the ball in the last 2 seasons at all levels from High A to the majors (at age 23-24). He doesn't look to me like someone who needs to be sold off before he turns into a pumpkin. The Steamer projection at Fangraphs has him for .257/.319/.404, 100 wRC+, 2.0 WAR next year. At age 25, now is the time to let Pinto play and see what they have in him. If he meets that Steamer projection, they should certainly be happy with him.

Saltalamacchia, on the other hand, is coming off a career year at age 28. If he keeps it up for a few more years, he'd be worth $10M/yr. But if it turns out to be a fluke year and he reverts to prior performance levels, the Twins would be paying $10M/yr. for a catcher who's probably no better than Pinto would be at around 5% the price. And Saltalamacchia is four years older, too.

If they're trading Pinto for really good pitching, and signing Saltalamacchia to replace him, that's one thing. I'd still worry that the Twins were buying high on Saltalamacchia, but could live with it if I liked the pitching Ryan brought in with the Pinto deal. But if they're shopping for a new starting catcher just because they don't trust Pinto to play 110+ games next year, so they plan to have him share the job or even begin the season at AAA, that's just stupid. A stupid waste of financial resources, and a stupid waste of Pinto.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    Pinto has been in the Twins Organization for 8 years. They may do something you do not personally agree with, but it won't be stupid. Sharing duties with the top remaining free agent catcher instead of throwing him to the wolves makes a lot of sense. IMO Salty and Pinto helps make our favorite team, strong up the middle.
    Last edited by howieramone; 11-24-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mudcat14 View Post
    My question, if Mauer was so good and it's so important, why has our pitching staff been at the bottom of the league for three years running?
    A) Mauer's catching skills had declined even before he moved. He was terrible at stopping balls in the dirt although he was probably pretty good at framing pitches.

B) Mauer caught less than 1/2 of the games over the last 3 years while Doumit caught 50+ games in his two seasons.

C) The catcher can only do so much. The pitchers have been awful. having Doumit behind the plate didn't help though.

I'm not against a guy like A.J. but Salty is my preferred target even if he reverts to .235/.300/.450. That's fine for a catcher that seems to be solid behind the plate. 3/30 is not going to block the Twins from getting any pitcher that they really want.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast