Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins Chasing Top Catcher Jarrod Saltalmacchia?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is probably effort on the part of the Agent to get some more $$ for his client (Salty).

He's a horrible catcher. Only one catcher in MLB had a worse Caught Stealing % than Salty. 79% of baserunners stole at will. Imagine what our low velocity pitching staff could do to that number.

A 36 year old catcher with a .237 career average (.188 in the series) caught 4 of the 6 games in the World Series while Mr. Possible 3 years $30M rode the pine.

If this is real, I feel like it's the spawn of nightmare and ground hog's day all over again.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 42 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Salty for 3/30 isn't terrible, he is one of the top 3rd catchers in the league. He's ok defensively and has some power. It would be nice to let Pinto start in AAA & come up in June. The pair would make a real nice platoon with Pinto giving him rest vs lefties. Gardy doesn't typically do platoons but C is a bit different with the needed off days. That said...

This team & especially rotation are 2 years away from being contenders. That puts them in the optimal position to let Pinto work & grow with this pitching staff. If they bring in both Garza & Nolasco I can understand this a little more as they will have a pretty decent rotation giving them a chance to compete for the division.

There has to be more to this interest. Such as Salty being a guy they believe will help transform the clubhouse they are finally realizing is just a little too soft.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
    An average defensive catcher is needed because Doumit and Pinto are both below average. Good catchers make pitchers better so you can think of some of the $$ as going to upgrade the pitching staff.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    A. J. not mentioned in this thread - wouldn't he be a better and more logical choice? I sure think so, I wonder what the veteran pitchers would say if it came down to a choice between the two.

Blog Entries
    Salty is a career .246 hitter.

That's .246/.310/.428. His BB% rate is 8.1%, his SO% rate is 28.4%

For his career, he's allowed 77% of baserunners to steal. In 2011 he led MLB in passed balls with 26.

He's horrible by offensive standards, he's worse by defensive standards.

And someone would considering paying him actual money?

Ryan Doumit's career offensive line: .268/.329/.438. Doumit is better across the board.

Defensively you ask?

They're comparable, 76% of baserunners are successful against Doumit (still better than Salty, albeit, barely).

Doumit's career high in passed balls is 9*. Salty topps that every year.

*only considers seasons above 100g caught.

Doumit is better in every sense of catching and hitting.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...oumiry01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...altaja01.shtml

Pinto will be better defensively and offensively than Salty.

He might not outhit Doumit. Doumit is a career .268 with 2 .300+ seasons. He could hit that again.

Josmil has been a better hitter and catcher at every level that Salty has played on.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=pinto-001jos

I see no reason why we'd pay $10M annually for one of the games worst defensive catchers (he's worse than Doumit, Doumit is not top third of catchers) who has a career average under .250.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 11-25-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    According to the stats....Salty is worse catcher or comparable to Doumit and Pinto. At every level.

Is there some other metric we're looking at here to say he's even good defensively?

Maybe passed balls? Caught stealing%? Fielding %?

All horrible.

Blog Entries
    AJ would be about equal in terms of defense...He doesn't allow quite as many PB, his fielding % is near tops in the league annually at .995, and he throws out baserunners just a bit better than Doumit and Salty at 75% success rate against him.

He's a better hitter, doesn't strike out. In fact he's a pretty tough out. Ever seen that guy foul over 10+ balls in an at bat before?

Plus he's a Jack-a$$ to the other team.

And cheaper.

And he might actually want to sign with us.

He's older is the only downfall.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ierza.01.shtml

Blog Entries
    Salty is a strikeout machine...

Put him on the mound. He's good for 15K/9.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    According to the stats....Salty is worse catcher or comparable to Doumit and Pinto. At every level.

Is there some other metric we're looking at here to say he's even good defensively?

Maybe passed balls? Caught stealing%? Fielding %?

All horrible.
    The advanced stats per fangraphs has salty ahead by a huge margin.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 144 Times in 93 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The most important aspect of catching receiving the ball and calling the game are not measured by WAR.

All attempts to measure this skill ranks Ryan Doumit at the very bottom. Not just overall but every season for the last 6. Very few teams would put him behind the plate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The advanced stats per fangraphs has salty ahead by a huge margin.
    You put an argument without any backing? No links?

I live in Texas. I've seen Salty try to catch and try to hit. It's not pretty.

I lived in MN until 2009. I've seen AJ in MN and here. AJ's better.

Blog Entries
    The thing I can't get past, is in the 6 most important games of the year for the Boston Red Sox, Salty found himself on the short end of the platoon to a 36 year old journeyman catcher.

It wasn't for Ross' offense either, he clearly is the inferior hitter. It wasn't because he was hot, he hit .181 for the series.

It wasn't to keep the Cardinal runners in check, as they aren't a running team. Only stole 6 bases in 17 games.

Short end of the platoon to David Ross...

Blog Entries
    For the playoffs, Salty struck out 19 times in 32 at bats. While hitting .188 for the playoffs. That's not going to help us get out of the 1st RD of the playoffs if we'd get there.

He's just so bad. And for $10M per...?

Short end of the platoon to David Ross...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
    I would not sign him for two reasons:'

First, with the trend toward concussion awareness I think it would be wise to steer clear of larger contracts for catchers. Just doesn't make sense to tie up that kind of money for somebody who is going to miss so many games. I love Joe Mauer but always thought that having lots of money tied up in a catcher is risky.

Second, Salty isn't very good. I think all this Salty love is frustrated fans wanting change in any form. He's below average defensively and average at the plate. Doumit would put up better numbers at the plate and not be that much worse defensively. If we are going to stink defensively than at least get someone who can swing the bat.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While Salty is good at receiving, he has a poor arm and doesn't block pitches well. He also had a fluky offensive season and will more likely be a sub .300 OBP guy going forward with that 30% K rate. I would stay away from him.

I know this is looking ahead, but the guy I would target is in the 2015 FA class and that's Russell Martin. He's the second best defensive catcher behind Yadier Molina and is league average at the plate. He'll be 32 but I'd still be very aggressive going after him next off-season.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,511 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ugh. Pick up a pitcher, sign a patchwork catcher, and see what you have in Pinto.

It doesn't take much imagination to see Salty and his ugly splits go from "YAY Fenway" to "get me out of Target Field, please" by mid-May.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'm a cynic about TR's willingness to spend money, but I think you are wrong.....
    Well Im guessing you are not the 1st one here to think I am wrong, but Im guessing we wont see a 95 million dollar payroll this year, so that gives us a pair of 2nd tier Pitchers, or a catcher for 7-10 , a starter in the 3rd tier Range and maybe enough to find help at 3rd....as for spending money? we still have about half our Internation money left sitting on the table , and a young kid ranked #9 who throws a 95+ mph fastball. So untill contracts are signed its still just smoke to me, and yes sir , I could be wrong

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    You put an argument without any backing? No links?

I live in Texas. I've seen Salty try to catch and try to hit. It's not pretty.

I lived in MN until 2009. I've seen AJ in MN and here. AJ's better.
    www.fangraphs.com

Salty is a much different player than he was in Texas, also I don't really care about a small sample size in the playoffs.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 534 Times in 353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Ugh. Pick up a pitcher, sign a patchwork catcher, and see what you have in Pinto.

It doesn't take much imagination to see Salty and his ugly splits go from "YAY Fenway" to "get me out of Target Field, please" by mid-May.
    Pretty much this. At some point, you have to trust your minors to develop players (though I'd sign an OF also, since I count zero that can hit and field on this roster next year).
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 534 Times in 353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    Well Im guessing you are not the 1st one here to think I am wrong, but Im guessing we wont see a 95 million dollar payroll this year, so that gives us a pair of 2nd tier Pitchers, or a catcher for 7-10 , a starter in the 3rd tier Range and maybe enough to find help at 3rd....as for spending money? we still have about half our Internation money left sitting on the table , and a young kid ranked #9 who throws a 95+ mph fastball. So untill contracts are signed its still just smoke to me, and yes sir , I could be wrong
    johnny....I agree, it is smoke until something changes. I was with you last year, for some reason I believe the smoke this year. Maybe it's the smoke....
    Lighten up Francis....

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast