Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Article: Twins Chasing Top Catcher Jarrod Saltalmacchia?

I don't understand what you are saying? We don't truly know why they sat Salty in the WS do we? Salty is a better option than whatever we would have if Pinto isn't the immediate answer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 320 Times in 202 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hanigan is off the board, to the Rays:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...n-hanigan.html

Although if Jose Lobaton isn't included in the deal, I guess he would be on the block now.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfan34 View Post
    as much crap as Twins fans seem to give Pinto as being hopeless
    I must be missing something. The comments I've seen on Pinto range from "ready for MLB starting job right now" to "needs a season of AAA, his defense is still not where it should be". Can't recall anything worse than that, let alone "hopeless".

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    I must be missing something. The comments I've seen on Pinto range from "ready for MLB starting job right now" to "needs a season of AAA, his defense is still not where it should be". Can't recall anything worse than that, let alone "hopeless".
    It's so odd that someone would exaggerate on here! First time I bet.

As for Salty I think he'd be a good platoon partner for Pinto. Salty is a much better hitter LH and 100-110 games for Salty and 50-60 for Pinto seems like a great plan. Doumit can catch the other 2.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

If MLBtraderumors is correct then we should have all this settled relatively soon. I'm not fully sold on signing Salty because I feel like Pinto will fill the need at catcher with more experience. Feeling this way it would almost be like paying Salty to fill the void for a year or maybe two until Pinto is ready, a time period we more than likely won't be making a World Series run during anyway. On the other hand... all these free agent signings are fun.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 444 Times in 271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    That is absolutely possible that his overall OPS might not be affected much... And if you're happy with .740 OPS from Salty, that's fine... But for that money and those years (mostly the years), I'd want to see more than that. Salty at a .740 OPS is not a very good offensive player. Given that his OBP is absolutely atrocious, the vast majority of that OPS is coming from slugging, which isn't *quite* as valuable as avoiding the out. If there's such a thing as an "empty" .740 OPS, he'd be the poster child for it.
    I am starting to change my mind about Salty, because his spits are incredibly different:

Career as a LHB: .263/.327/.469, 115 OPS+
    Career as a RHB: .206/.267/.332, 64 OPS+

Play him against Righties and Pinto against lefties and you got something. These splits are real and repeat season after season.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 75 Times in 56 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Hanigan is off the board, to the Rays:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/1...n-hanigan.html

Although if Jose Lobaton isn't included in the deal, I guess he would be on the block now.
    Wow. With Molina on the roster? Same type of Catcher...and Maddon said he saved like 45 runs last year.

Unusual platoon/split.

Liked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    mlbtraderumors has a reporter in Denver saying salty going to Marlins. in the post above that it says the Twins have inquired on the A's Brett Anderson.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tweet from Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post (hat tip to @nmarg34)

"For those #Rockies fans curious about free-agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, I'm told he's going to #Marlins."
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins best friend View Post
    If MLBtraderumors is correct then we should have all this settled relatively soon. I'm not fully sold on signing Salty because I feel like Pinto will fill the need at catcher with more experience. Feeling this way it would almost be like paying Salty to fill the void for a year or maybe two until Pinto is ready, a time period we more than likely won't be making a World Series run during anyway. On the other hand... all these free agent signings are fun.
    Looks like he is headed to the Marlins based on the latest there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrylos View Post
    I am starting to change my mind about Salty, because his spits are incredibly different:

Career as a LHB: .263/.327/.469, 115 OPS+
    Career as a RHB: .206/.267/.332, 64 OPS+

Play him against Righties and Pinto against lefties and you got something. These splits are real and repeat season after season.
    Those are Morneau numbers....but imagine 100 more strikeouts and playing only 120 games.

Interesting note. Pinto seems to be better (AVG/PWR) against RHP than LHP. Not by much, but 2012 had similar results.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...=bgl&year=2013

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...=bgl&year=2012

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Signing Salty to a 3 year deal would spell the end of Pinto's development and being a MLB starting catcher. Pinto will be 25 starting next season.

He'd be 29 before he'd be playing more than 40 games a year if we signed Salty.

That doesn't say belief in a guy as a possible MLB starting catcher.

Salty would hurt, maybe stop, his development as to get him playing experience/development he'd have to go back and forth to AAA to get the necessary experience.

There's posts saying he's a horrible pitch framer (cited one where he was the 2nd worst in MiLB).

Not sure what they expect him to hit. If it's expected he'd hit anything better than .265, he's going to put up better AVG/OBP/SLG than Salty.

So that isn't a glaring endorsement for him as a hitter either.

Perhaps, the "hopeless" is slight exaggeration on my part.

But, I just don't see delaying/killing/whatever Pinto might be until he's 29...which is preceded by sitting on the bench for 3 years.
    Last edited by twinsfan34; 12-03-2013 at 03:40 PM.

13. This user likes twinsfan34's post and wants to buy him/her a steak dinner:

mike wants wins (12-03-2013)

Liked 1,261 Times in 731 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post

honestly i am cool with that…..USe the money you were going to spend on Salty or AJ and go get another SP.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 563 Times in 368 Posts
    Great, maybe now they'll go get a legit OF or DH or both instead......
    Lighten up Francis....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Great find!

(note to self: follow this guy)

And excited the Twins are giving Pinto a legitimate shot. Turner would be ready in 2 years as well if Pinto ain't worth beans.

Is there any other FA starting arms out there worth spending the money on?

Liked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks like the Twins were not expecting to pay Salty....looks like Miami is about to sign him to a 3 year 21-22 million contract. if the Twins bid 24-25 and lost ok but why would anyone want to sign with a team that Loria owns? I know he's from 70 miles away from the ballpark but still.

Marlins Close To Deal With Saltalamacchia

By Steve Adams [December 3 at 4:27pm CST]
    4:27pm: Juan C. Rodriguez of the Miami Sun-Sentinel reports that the Marlins have offered three years and $21MM (Twitter link). Passan hears that the Marlins are "closing in" on a deal with Saltalamacchia that is in the three-year, $22MM range.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011